PDA

View Full Version : My new shiny suspension bits

JamesT5
Thursday 30th August 2012, 17:53
Hi

By popular demand, (i.e. a request from M-R-P) :D , I've posted some pictures up of my new shiny suspension bits now they've been fitted to the car. As you can see though, there are quite a few old parts still remaining and the back end parts still look like they need pulling off and replacing. The only thing I've replaced on the back end is the rear drop links, everything else I've kept.

Also, please give me your honest opinions on the rusty bits. :)

Anyway, pictures........

(More pictures below.....)

Regards

James

JamesT5
Thursday 30th August 2012, 17:55

JamesT5
Thursday 30th August 2012, 18:00

That's every photo I took of the car this afternoon (all 20 of them above in this thread). I also swapped the wheels from front to back but kept them the same side as they are Directional Tyres. I thought I'll get more wear out of the tyres but also I've still been getting some shaking or vibrating through the steering column even though I've had all these new parts fitted. The garage should have changed the front discs as I think one is warped and is causing the issue, because changing the wheels around hasn't helped at all.

Anyway, enjoy the photos! :D

stephenevans99
Thursday 30th August 2012, 19:22
Were the drop links 'uprated/heavyduty' or standard ones? & what happened to polybushing the wishbones?

JamesT5
Thursday 30th August 2012, 21:36
Were the drop links 'uprated/heavyduty' or standard ones? & what happened to polybushing the wishbones?

The drop links are Delphi ones, pretty durable as far as I can gather. As for Polybushing, I neither have the tools or the patience so I just got a garage to bolt on some new wishbones. Unfortunatley, I've still got loads to do to get this car to get it straight and I can see another few hundred quid going on the running gear side of things before it's 'sorted', so Polybushing is basically just another 'faff' I've decided to ditch for the time being. This car has been and is still an absolute 'headache'......

Regards

James

V70 Graham
Thursday 30th August 2012, 22:00
When you get round to it, polybushing is one of the best mods you can do, you'll really notice it.

M-R-P
Thursday 30th August 2012, 23:37
Hi James, I just spent some considerable time examining the pics and you can see where the caliper had hold of the disk on the n/s, I'd say the disk would probably be screwed.
Without taking the car for a drive, all I can say is that it is showing the 220+k miles under there.
worth a look would be;
anti roll bar bushes,
shock top mount/bearings
front disks - my money's on these.

You must have more confidence in the car now.
there can't be much left to replace now, so you know nothing's gonna drop off it for a while. :D

JamesT5
Friday 31st August 2012, 19:59
Hi James, I just spent some considerable time examining the pics and you can see where the caliper had hold of the disk on the n/s, I'd say the disk would probably be screwed.
Without taking the car for a drive, all I can say is that it is showing the 220+k miles under there.
worth a look would be;
anti roll bar bushes,
shock top mount/bearings
front disks - my money's on these.

You must have more confidence in the car now.
there can't be much left to replace now, so you know nothing's gonna drop off it for a while. :D

The anti-roll bar bushes would have been replaced within the control arm assembly and the drop links on the front as far as I'm aware, because I can't see any more bushes on the front end to change.

I think the shock absorbers are probably in need of replacement but what is more worrying is how the nasty wheel shake has come back tonight, although I did swap all the wheels fron to back yesterday (and did the nuts up nice and tight). I think the front discs do need doing for sure as the N/S front is the one the caliper stuck to, and I'm sure it's warped somehow.

I look forward to bringing this car to a meet up event one day, with everything sorted out on it. :D

Regards

James