PDA

View Full Version : Advice on buying an S60

jez.w
Thursday 30th August 2012, 17:43
Hello all, I havent been on this forum for ages. I have owned 2x 850 T5 in the past which never let me down and were practically trouble free. I havent owned a Volvo for over 18 months now but really want to get another Volvo for the next car (soon). I replaced the last 850 T5 with a Mondeo which isnt a bad car, but no way as good as the 850 for long journeys or driving experience and comfort etc, I also miss the effortless power. My budget is 3K max

I am very interested in getting an S60 next. I am not sure weather to go for the 2.4 diesel auto (i want an auto again) or a petrol auto 2.3/2.4/2.5. I really dont want a manual car if i can help it as my other car is a manual and i prefer an autobox for the family car.

I kind of fancy a diesel because of the low down smooth power and they give good mpg, but not sure if it would be a little to slow compared to the petrols. I have read that the 163bhp D5 engines have intercooler issues and these can need replacing every 60K, is this a problem or not very common? Can the D5 perform well with some mild tuning like an off the shelf remap, i wouldnt do much more than this? Do they suffer from injector or other diesel issues? I would probably be looking for a car with 80K on it.

Or if i go for a petrol engine there is 2.3, 2.4 and 2.5 engine to choose from (i dont want the 2 litre engine). I am familiar with the T5 2.3 engine but there are various power outputs for the 2.4 and also a 2.5 engine which seems similar to the 2.3 T5 performance. Which of these petrol engines is the one to go for. Which petrol engine is less troublesome or more reliable/stronger engine? Again i would prefer an autobox.

Are there any weak spots or common fault with the S60 apart from the usual?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks in advance

M-R-P
Thursday 30th August 2012, 17:48
Go for 2004 (54) or later and all you'll need to worry about is normal wear and tear. try to get evidence of regular transmission maintenance if you get a high mileage geartronic - they get expensive after 100K. go through all the modes and gears making sure it shifts nice and smooth with no flairing under load.

MattM
Thursday 30th August 2012, 18:16
2.4 T5 *cough*

jez.w
Friday 31st August 2012, 10:29
I do like the idea of owning a T5 again... I also kind of like the idea of a D5 but im not 100% sure about getting a diesel car... So it sounds like the usual autobox fluid check and good service history is all i have to worry about. My old 850 T5 needed new wishbone bushes, drop links, top mounts and shocks, and all the engine breathers changing, and general servicing etc over the 4 or 5 years i had it, this was wear and tear so to be expected. I will look for the same things/issues.

Do any s60 have the fly by wire throttle? I have heard some newer volvos had then and they need replacing from time to time.

Cheers

MattM
Friday 31st August 2012, 10:48
I think all P2 have fly by wire.

M-R-P
Friday 31st August 2012, 10:52
VPC went mental for a sec there and lost my post...
As I was saying...

All P2 cars are fly-by-wire. The pre-2003 models had the dreaded Magnetti Marelli throttle. The pre-2004 models had the dreaded DIM failure and both together can cost more than a 2004 model lol. (my DIM was 735 quid.)

This is why I suggested post 54 plate mate. Post 2005 iirc T5 cars have the KKK24 turbo and go like hell once remapped.

MattM
Friday 31st August 2012, 12:39
Post 2005 iirc T5 cars have the KKK24 turbo and go like hell once remapped.

Yup :D

M-R-P
Friday 31st August 2012, 12:41
Yup :D

Don't get too smug - those turbos can crack if worked hard for prolonged periods lol

:saythat:

MattM
Friday 31st August 2012, 12:46
Sounds like an opportunity for an even beefier turbo if you ask me :p

M-R-P
Friday 31st August 2012, 12:48
Good comeback :beer:

jez.w
Friday 31st August 2012, 14:09
VPC went mental for a sec there and lost my post...
As I was saying...

All P2 cars are fly-by-wire. The pre-2003 models had the dreaded Magnetti Marelli throttle. The pre-2004 models had the dreaded DIM failure and both together can cost more than a 2004 model lol. (my DIM was 735 quid.)

This is why I suggested post 54 plate mate. Post 2005 iirc T5 cars have the KKK24 turbo and go like hell once remapped.

Ok thanks very much for the advice, i will try and look for a newerpost 54 plate model. Thats exactly the kind of info i was looking for.

Thanks again

M-R-P
Friday 31st August 2012, 14:14
these guys are worth a look...
Ex-Plod (www.expolicecar.co.uk)

And this (http://www.expolicecar.co.uk/stockdetail.asp?id=71) looks right up your street :D (apart from it being a manual)