PDA

View Full Version : P2 T5 strange running

SKIDMARKS
Thursday 30th August 2012, 13:45
Hi Guys

Been a while since posting on here but still a Sweedy owner with now 135k on the clock.

Been viewing from time to time especially of late as the car has been misbehaving. Problem is apart from the hunting ( on tickover ) that's been with it for ages now, it has had a really dead spot from cold....and it really is bad. Pulling onto the road outside ours and try to get to speed is crazy.....just dies, ie press the throttle down and it's as if the ignition has been turned off, then starts to pick up.

Have changed plugs ( Volvo )...fuel filter....oil/filter. Also stopped using Tesco Momentum and gone back using V Power.

The car has been so much better not using Tesco but the fault is still there today, it was ok since going back to Shell.

Codes read is camshaft sensor fault which has been there since 18 months or more, this is the only code coming up. The throttle body was done around 18 months ago so not that.

Any ideas ? I'm thinking now it must be the cam sensor fault, but I have been told that fault could relate to the afm.

Any clues will be appreciated.

Cheers

JamesT5
Thursday 30th August 2012, 13:52
I had engine trouble myself a few months ago, it turned out to be faulty coil packs but then you haven't got the fault codes to indicate that fault. Try resetting your fault code to see if it comes back and there will be your problem. Also, does your engine emissions light come on?

Regards

James

SKIDMARKS
Thursday 30th August 2012, 14:00
Cheers James
Had the code reset quite a few times and no emission light on !

JamesT5
Thursday 30th August 2012, 14:03
Cheers James
Had the code reset quite a few times and no emission light on !

Ok, well you can rule out injector faults because the engine light comes on and you'll get Cylinder Misfire Messages (can't remember the codes but they are in my misfire threads from months ago).

In that case, follow through on your DTC and go from there.

Regards

James

M-R-P
Thursday 30th August 2012, 14:18
I would get that sensor done (and check the wiring for it) and see where you are from there.

SKIDMARKS
Thursday 30th August 2012, 14:33
Yes, realise sensor needs doing...just had a price from Simon for £136.00.

Recently had a price to get the injectors cleaned as I'm sure they have never been done and just trying to rule the cheaper thing out first. I bought the car at 85k.

M-R-P
Thursday 30th August 2012, 14:43
Can't help with injectors I'm afraid as mine doesn't have the injectors it's supposed to have. (yet another bit of the plod legacy)
However, I know it's done at least 100k on the ones it has and they're fine even though the car has been fueled on many different cheap hydrocarbons lol. (now on 192.5K)
It might also be worth getting it plugged into Dice/Vida and see if there's anything else worth knowing.

JamesT5
Thursday 30th August 2012, 17:27
Can't help with injectors I'm afraid as mine doesn't have the injectors it's supposed to have. (yet another bit of the plod legacy)
However, I know it's done at least 100k on the ones it has and they're fine even though the car has been fueled on many different cheap hydrocarbons lol. (now on 192.5K)
It might also be worth getting it plugged into Dice/Vida and see if there's anything else worth knowing.

192.5K? Well, I'm showing off now, mine has done just shy of 230K. :D

M-R-P
Thursday 30th August 2012, 17:41
192.5K? Well, I'm showing off now, mine has done just shy of 230K. :D

OK clever clogs, mine did 123K in less than 3 years :D

ROZER
Thursday 30th August 2012, 17:49

martin what colour are your injectors

M-R-P
Thursday 30th August 2012, 17:50
Brown Densos.

ROZER
Thursday 30th August 2012, 17:55
am sure you should have blue 350cc t0 395cc not brown they are only 315cc thats a bit mad

ROZER
Thursday 30th August 2012, 17:56
same engine and year as mine dude and mine are blue. and plod.?

M-R-P
Thursday 30th August 2012, 17:56
I know but they aint the orange bosch ones, they look like these...
ebay link (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Mazda-RX8-fuel-injectors-297500-1230-N3R2-13-250-Brown-/180850274595)

M-R-P
Thursday 30th August 2012, 17:59
same engine and year as mine dude and mine are blue. and plod.?
Dunno what plod were playing at... mine has the wrong gearbox on it too - M56LK with the 3.75:1 FDR and 23 tooth output shaft to the gearbox making the clutch nearly twice the price!

ROZER
Thursday 30th August 2012, 18:03
yes i think you could call them brown not orange but they could have faded. but the orange are 310cc and brown 315cc are engine uses blue 350cc you need to look into that when you get your remap dude that could cause some problems.

ROZER
Thursday 30th August 2012, 18:04
ye i remember reading your dmf problems not funny at all dude.

ROZER
Thursday 30th August 2012, 18:05
have you got any service reports on it

M-R-P
Thursday 30th August 2012, 20:21
Vague service sheet mate. A few notes saying "engine-modify" but no real detail. I'll try and get a pic later but the injectors aren't the usual Bosch jobbies and according to the torque app, I've never had any problems with fueling or afr.
The lads at the local stealers got a bit excited and huddled round the computer when they did the software and DIM install.
Not that I put much faith in them.

JamesT5
Thursday 30th August 2012, 21:48
Vague service sheet mate. A few notes saying "engine-modify" but no real detail. I'll try and get a pic later but the injectors aren't the usual Bosch jobbies and according to the torque app, I've never had any problems with fueling or afr.
The lads at the local stealers got a bit excited and huddled round the computer when they did the software and DIM install.
Not that I put much faith in them.

Can anyone answer this.... Why do the Police feel the need to fiddle with the original spec so much, surely these cars are fast enough and durable enough as they are? And if they're not, why use them, why not just use a different make and model? It all seems a bit backwards to me!

M-R-P
Thursday 30th August 2012, 23:08
In fairness, the majority of plod cars are unfettled, other than the stuff added to the cars in the special vehicles factory in Gothenburg.
Only a few get tinkered-with at a local force level.