PDA

View Full Version : HIDs and the Law

Martin R-DES
Thursday 30th August 2012, 12:54
Trying to get a difinitive answer about HIDs and found the below extract on my searches. I want to get to the bottom of this to find out just whats OK.

When I went to get mine levelled the other day, the guy in the garage said "do you know they are illegal?" I said I have heard conflicting stories and his response was "well we have been told we arent allowed to fail them, only give an advisory but VOSA could stop you at the side of the road and tell you to remove them"

I dont take what one person says as gospel as you never know what his/her interpretation is of what they have read. I take from the information in this thread on the corsa-c forum that they are legal if aligned, if you have self levelling and headlight washers then they must work but if you dont then hey ho??? What are your thoughts?

COPIED AND PASTED TEXT

Link to the thread: http://www.corsa-c.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?358783-New-MOT-law-regarding-HIDS-April-2012

Information regarding changes to the MOT as of April 2012.

A HID kit is legal if the headlights are aligned

If the car is equipped with washers and auto levelling then they need to be operational

Hope this clears up a lot of confusion.

So yes they are legal on a Corsa C as of April 2012.

Reply from Vosa (Thanks to Corsa Leo)

Hello,
i have a vauxhall corsa c 05. I have projector headlamps with a 6000k
aftermarket hid kit in. My headlamps have been aligned. I would like to
know are these hids still road legel and will pass an mot in 2012 ?
My corsa does not have washer and levelling systems as it did not come out
the factory with them. Thankyou

Dear Sir or Madam
Thank you for your email enquiry dated 6th January 2012, concerning the
above.
On the basis of the information you have provided, it would appear that
there would be no problem with the vehicle passing its MOT in 2012. Please
note that as we cannot see the vehicle, we can only advise in general
terms.
Section 1.7 of the Private Passenger and Light Commercial Vehicle
inspection manual gives the general requirements for headlights (eg similar
output from the lights, colours, etc) and states that where washers or
self-levelling systems are fitted on HID lamps they must work.
HID lamps that have an output of less than 2000 Lumens do not need headlamp
levelling or washing.
It is also not possible for an MOT tester to determine whether or not a
particular lamp is more than 2000 Lumens or not. The MOT test therefore
uses the lowest criteria that can realistically be applied; so if a
particular vehicle is fitted with a headlamp levelling or washing system,
then we consider it logical to assume that it requires it by law and
therefore it must work. The inspection manual can be viewed online at
http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/cr...sandguides.htm

Section 1.7 copied:
1.7 Headlamps 1.7 - page 1
Information
Method of Inspection
Reason for Rejection
Check the presence, security and operation of the headlamp switch.
Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted, switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.
Check that the vehicle is securely fitted with obligatory headlamps, as follows:

a matched pair of main beam headlamps, and

a matched pair of dipped-beam headlamps
Note: Main and dipped-beam functions may be provided by a single pair of headlamps.
A switch missing, insecure or faulty.
A headlamp levelling or cleaning device inoperative or otherwise obviously defective.
A missing, insecure or obviously incorrectly positioned obligatory headlamp.
Note: Class 3 vehicles may require only one headlamp (see Section 9.1).
Note: The precise position of headlamps is not part of the inspection, but check visually that the lamps are at about the same height and the same distance from each side of the vehicle.
This inspection applies to all obligatory headlamps fitted.
Headlamps are not required to be fitted to vehicles used only during the hours of daylight, which are fitted with neither front nor rear position lamps, etc. (See 1.1.A).
Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.
Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.
Headlamp washers may work in conjunction with the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam headlamps are switched on) or by a separate switch.
HID lamps may be identified by:

taking a few seconds to reach full intensity

having a bluish tinge to the light

having an igniter module/inverter behind the headlamp

having ‘DCR’ marked on the headlamp lens.
HID headlamps use high voltage and extra care should be taken when inspecting these items.
With the headlamps on, switch between dipped and main beams checking that:
a.
each headlamp illuminates immediately it is switched to either dipped or main beam
b.
either:

all main beams are switched off by one switch (dip switch) leaving a matched pair of dipped-beams switched on, or

the main beam headlamp reflectors are deflected by a driver’s control, to make them dipped beams
c.
on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986, the ‘tell-tale’ illuminates when main beam is selected.
a.
A headlamp does not operate immediately when selected on dipped or on main beam
b.
operation of the dip switch does not:

extinguish all main beam headlamps, and leave on at least one pair of dipped-beam headlamps, or

deflect the main beams to make them dipped beams.
c.
the ‘tell-tale’ does not illuminate when main beam is selected.

JamesT5
Thursday 30th August 2012, 13:19
Hi

There was a thread about this a few weeks ago, a few of us were discussing the legalities of HID after market kits in view of the recent change in MOT rules.

The law does seem very hazy and a few of us kind of came to the conclusion that unless you have lamps that are really blue or purple, the Police and/or VOSA are unlikely to penalise you provided you're being sensible about them.

Thanks for the info.

Regards

James

p fandango
Thursday 30th August 2012, 13:23
if you've fitted HID's & not got automatic self-leveling (can be either via the lights or suspension) or a headlight washing system (can be either wiper or jet spray) then they are technically illegal

JamesT5
Thursday 30th August 2012, 13:26
as your information says, if you've fitted HID's & not got automatic self-leveling (can be either via the lights or suspension) or a headlight washing system (can be either wiper or jet spray) then they are technically illegal

It would be interesting to get a 'Freedom Of Information Request' in to VOSA to see how many cars have failed MOT's for having HID headlamps that aren't factory fitted. :D

Martin R-DES
Thursday 30th August 2012, 13:27
if you've fitted HID's & not got automatic self-leveling (can be either via the lights or suspension) or a headlight washing system (can be either wiper or jet spray) then they are technically illegal

Doesnt this look like they must work IF FITTED?

Where HID or LED dipped beam headlamps are fitted, switch on the headlamps and check the operation of any headlamp levelling and cleaning devices fitted.

p fandango
Thursday 30th August 2012, 13:31
It would be interesting to get a 'Freedom Of Information Request' in to VOSA to see how many cars have failed MOT's for having HID headlamps that aren't factory fitted. :D
in the original post it says they can only give an advisory, but i wouldn't be surprised if its only as the ruling was recently introduced

p fandango
Thursday 30th August 2012, 13:32
Doesnt this look like they must work IF FITTED?

i think thats the problem, alot of people are reading it different ways. I've even heard if you hide the ballast they can't assume there HID's lol

JamesT5
Thursday 30th August 2012, 13:36
i think thats the problem, alot of people are reading it different ways. I've even heard if you hide the ballast they can't assume there HID's lol

I think the big wiring loom and and the massive D2S bulb might be a hell of a give away though. Not to mention the fact that they take about 5 seconds to come up to full brightness - bif of a give away I think!

p fandango
Thursday 30th August 2012, 14:59
I think the big wiring loom and and the massive D2S bulb might be a hell of a give away though. Not to mention the fact that they take about 5 seconds to come up to full brightness - bif of a give away I think!
plus the actual colour of the light lol