PDA

View Full Version : Respraying a V70

JamesT5
Monday 27th August 2012, 19:51
Hi

Not that I'm going to be doing this in the immediate future, but has anyone had a full body respray on their V70 and if so how much did it cost?

I feel that my V70 will eventually need a full body respray to get rid of all the battle scars and really bring the car back to life. My main priority is to get the mechanical stuff sorted and then it will be a case of trying to save up for a full body respray. I also need the alloys refurbed and the bumper trim scuffs done but it would look totally mint after that.

I'm guessing it will be about £2000 for all that, maybe even a bit more.

Regards

James

T5frankie
Monday 27th August 2012, 20:13
Get it done for half that price

graemewelch
Monday 27th August 2012, 20:19
Your spending a hell of a lot of money. Save your money and buy a motor that dosnt need the work doing.

JamesT5
Monday 27th August 2012, 20:21
Get it done for half that price

Where and what about the quality?

Regards

James

JamesT5
Monday 27th August 2012, 20:23
Your spending a hell of a lot of money. Save your money and buy a motor that dosnt need the work doing.

Yeah, that's a good and valid comment, and I could put the money towards a newer model. The other side of the coin is sometimes it's about the love, not about the money. :)

deathrider311271
Monday 27th August 2012, 20:29
it all depends what sort of job you want doing, if its just a flash over about £1000, if you want a proper bare metal respray and everything sorted properly budget for £5000. My Capri cost me £4800 and that included a top quality deep pearlescent paint job, its absolutly mint now.

V70 Graham
Monday 27th August 2012, 20:48
it all depends what sort of job you want doing, if its just a flash over about £1000, if you want a proper bare metal respray and everything sorted properly budget for £5000. My Capri cost me £4800 and that included a top quality deep pearlescent paint job, its absolutly mint now.

:worthless

deathrider311271
Monday 27th August 2012, 20:54
:worthless
when i get it back with the new engine sorted there will be plenty of pics, as for the rebuild ones i lost them a couple of years ago in a house fire

volvokid
Monday 27th August 2012, 21:23
I had my V40 done it cost about 750, and it was a crap job, I think anyone who says they can get a quality job for that kind of money is either blind or a lier. Mine was done in a proper booth and it's still got dust under the top coat, the bottom of all my doors have paint coming off,. Think long and hard if you go the cheep route, it might look good from a distance but start looking at it and you will find flaws. For that kind of money the guy will want it in and out as fast as possible.

oblark
Monday 27th August 2012, 21:33
I`ve just been quoted £200 to respray my bonnet, This body shop does do high end motors and I`ve seen his work.

volvokid
Monday 27th August 2012, 21:40
I hate most paint shops tbh, I need to paint my rear bumper on the green R, it was done at a Volvo dealership before I bought it, they never even sprayed the whole thing, you can see where they have flashed it in it's a totally different colour.

M-R-P
Monday 27th August 2012, 22:58
I resprayed the rear passenger door and rear wing on mine, on a driveway with £20 worth of paint and clear. it took a day to paint and half a day in flatting and polishing. I'll challenge anybody to spot which ones.
not saying it's a good idea but potentially, you could do a whole V70 for 120 quid in a week or so.

Jimmie
Tuesday 28th August 2012, 09:22
How much for the challenge because i'll bet you will notice it.
Oh i forgot i would need expences as well.lol

M-R-P
Tuesday 28th August 2012, 09:44
How much for the challenge because i'll bet you will notice it.
Oh i forgot i would need expences as well.lol

Lol,it's polar white, (189.2) and hides all sorts of things but the job I did is flawless and has a better finish than some other parts of the paintwork (which could give it away I suppose)

I'll cook you a burger for your expenses and throw in a beer if you spot the painted bits lmao!

JamesT5
Tuesday 28th August 2012, 10:26
when i get it back with the new engine sorted there will be plenty of pics, as for the rebuild ones i lost them a couple of years ago in a house fire

I'm sorry to hear about a fire you had, that's got to be the worst thing next to loosing family, especially when you have things that you can't just replace. I hope you've managed to get back to relative normality.

Regards

James

dionbullock
Tuesday 28th August 2012, 11:49
My V70 is in the middle of having a respray as we speak. It'll cost me £450, but he's a mate of a mate plus we did a deal on some windows & doors... so in a way its cost me nout. But other quotes ive had were anywhere between £900 to £3000....

Im not expecting to see a brand new car when i pick her up, but from the work ive seen him do before, i might be pleasantly surprised! Will post some pics when i pick her up this week hopefully!!

Jimmie
Tuesday 28th August 2012, 13:04
My V70 is in the middle of having a respray as we speak. It'll cost me £450, but he's a mate of a mate plus we did a deal on some windows & doors... so in a way its cost me nout. But other quotes ive had were anywhere between £900 to £3000....

Im not expecting to see a brand new car when i pick her up, but from the work ive seen him do before, i might be pleasantly surprised! Will post some pics when i pick her up this week hopefully!!

Because you did a deal you have not got a proper quote or have i missed something?
What was the price of materials alone?
The going rate for a factory spec full bonnet paint job used to be about £400.00 +vat =£480.00

JamesT5
Tuesday 28th August 2012, 13:34
When I told me girlfriend I wanted a full body respray, she looked at me oddly and said, "I like you just the way you are". Then I explained it was for the car and well, you can imagine the reaction...........

I justified it nicely... "You know that feeling when you want to paint your nails? Well, take that and multiply it by a factor of 2186". :D

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 28th August 2012, 14:46
On metallics - I would never contemplate trying to do the spray job yourself. I might not be so bad on solid colours like white?

I just took mine to the body shop today - she's having some remedial work done on 2 arches where rust is beginning to show & the front bumper (the whole thing) & parts of the rear bumper where I attempted with only partial success to paint in & flat some defects. Its going to cost the sharp end of 750 quid.

I didn't even tell the wife I was taking it. She said this morning - after I explained where I had been - "Oh good - I know how much that was annoying u".

That's why I married her - she gets me.

JamesT5
Tuesday 28th August 2012, 14:58
On metallics - I would never contemplate trying to do the spray job yourself. I might not be so bad on solid colours like white?

I just took mine to the body shop today - she's having some remedial work done on 2 arches where rust is beginning to show & the front bumper (the whole thing) & parts of the rear bumper where I attempted with only partial success to paint in & flat some defects. Its going to cost the sharp end of 750 quid.

I didn't even tell the wife I was taking it. She said this morning - after I explained where I had been - "Oh good - I know how much that was annoying u".

That's why I married her - she gets me.

Gosh no, I would never attempt a respray my self unless it was just touching in a small area in a non light reflective area. I certainly wouldn't attempt it on a metallic...

The idea is (eventually), I want a professional job on the outside to bring it back to life and to rectify the shoddy respray the original owner had done on the car - the drivers side has been completely resprayed along with the bonnet and front bumper.. :wtf:

There are also the usual car park dings down the passenger side that has the original paint finish, but this side is just looking a bit weathered and tired more than anything. The roof has a small dent in it and the lacquer has been corroded in places by bird droppings plus the original owner has managed to put scratches on the roof from having stuff on the roof rack. The back bumper has been grazed at some point and I have touched it in with touch-up paint to lessen the appearance of the marks but ultimately it needs a respray.

The body shop obviously did a poor job as the lacquer is peeling on the front arches and the finish looks a bit orange peely.

Other than that, the car isn't too bad. :D

Regards

James

volvokid
Tuesday 28th August 2012, 15:04
How much for your wife? I want one like yours, cars come last for me now :-(

V70 Graham
Tuesday 28th August 2012, 15:57
.....I'll challenge anybody to spot which ones.....

I'll cook you a burger for your expenses and throw in a beer if you spot the painted bits lmao!

I'll take you up on that mate ;)

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 28th August 2012, 16:55
I've been saving like mad for the respray & my wife knows she will never go short. My #1 priority is Erica our new daughter, then Ellen. There's a whole bunch of other things behind that & then there's me & then the car.

@JamesT5 - I think that 2K is a realistic budget for a complete respray - so long as the colour is to remain the same.

Even after the respray there will still be areas of concern e.g. by the top N/S of the windscreen there is evidence that the frame under the windscreen is rusting a bit. I can only stem the tide because to treat it properly will require the removal of the windscreen. I have touched in and wet-sanded with some minor success many of the stone chips. TBH the bonnet as a whole would benefit - but it's good enough for now.

I must have spent at least £3K on paint jobs & detailing alone over the last 5 years & unless you keep your car like Volvokid does - forgive me - like a museum piece & it doesnt get used then there will always be defects. Bit like me.

claymore
Tuesday 28th August 2012, 17:21
What about wrapping it?

M-R-P
Tuesday 28th August 2012, 18:35
I'll take you up on that mate ;)

that's cheating - you know what bits I've sprayed!
but youre always welcome to a burger mate ;)

JamesT5
Tuesday 28th August 2012, 19:14
I've been saving like mad for the respray & my wife knows she will never go short. My #1 priority is Erica our new daughter, then Ellen. There's a whole bunch of other things behind that & then there's me & then the car.

@JamesT5 - I think that 2K is a realistic budget for a complete respray - so long as the colour is to remain the same.

Even after the respray there will still be areas of concern e.g. by the top N/S of the windscreen there is evidence that the frame under the windscreen is rusting a bit. I can only stem the tide because to treat it properly will require the removal of the windscreen. I have touched in and wet-sanded with some minor success many of the stone chips. TBH the bonnet as a whole would benefit - but it's good enough for now.

I must have spent at least £3K on paint jobs & detailing alone over the last 5 years & unless you keep your car like Volvokid does - forgive me - like a museum piece & it doesnt get used then there will always be defects. Bit like me.

Interesting what you say about the windscreen area because there is some minor bubbling there on mine too, so the windscreen might have to come out on mine as well, adding to labour charges of course!

Regards

James

volvokid
Tuesday 28th August 2012, 20:00
Oi WD my saffy still has defects, one day it will get a bare metal respray, Well I will try for that anyway.......

JamesT5
Tuesday 28th August 2012, 20:47
What about wrapping it?

Gift wrapped..? :D

JamesT5
Tuesday 28th August 2012, 20:50
Has anyone thought of having it taken back to bare metal and then just clear coat lacquered? All you'll need then is a Flux Capacitor and Mr Fusion remap and you can go anywhere, anytime you like! ;) :D

M-R-P
Tuesday 28th August 2012, 21:01
Pmsl!I saw a delorian on my way back from the oxford meet. And an XJ220, a Quattro, an RS2000, F40, car fest had just finished I think.

JamesT5
Tuesday 28th August 2012, 21:05
Pmsl!I saw a delorian on my way back from the oxford meet. And an XJ220, a Quattro, an RS2000, F40, car fest had just finished I think.

The DMC-12 is as rare as hens teeth now, and apparantly the engines were a joint venture between Peugeot, Renault and Volvo!

lillico
Wednesday 29th August 2012, 21:21
Iv just had mine done

i stripped the doors off, bumpers, trims, bonnet and boot.

windows out bar windscreen

the body shop repaired as many of the little dents and scratches as reasnable

smoothed and prepped the trims and bumpers

masked off roof and windscreen

and rest of car as needed

400 grit da all over

i brought the paint which was max meyer came to £225 inc vat for base and laquer

everything painted

me and a mate rebuilt in a day

the roof was mechanically mopped and polished

i prepped wheels, they painted them

18 hours of labour on bill

plus some sundries etc

total cost £960

but i spent good couple of days and my mate another day so easily nock on £2000 all in. gotta weigh up the costs...i brought mine cheap cheap so made it a good deal

im very happy with result, not high end but still very good, car gets comments whenever i take it out. would never believe its 10 years old

lillico
Wednesday 29th August 2012, 21:26
sorry terrible picture

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 29th August 2012, 21:50
So you didnt do the roof - or did you mean you masked off the sunroof?

Have to say it looks well on it.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 29th August 2012, 21:51
Look even better with a boot spoiler

M-R-P
Wednesday 29th August 2012, 21:52
wow, that's stunning. Black really brings out the shape of these cars. well done mate.

lillico
Wednesday 29th August 2012, 21:58
No chose not to do roof as it wasn't bad.

I dud the trims beside windscreen but just mopped it

I'm happy and saved fair amount as roof bars would of had to come off and windscreen out..

V70 Graham
Wednesday 29th August 2012, 22:25
That car does look very nice, you did well there, and have a great mate lol

M-R-P
Wednesday 29th August 2012, 22:28
That's more than just a paint job there tho... Bumper and lights replaced.
Modified grille.
A lot of work there.
Very nice.

lillico
Wednesday 29th August 2012, 22:36
Thanks, was a lot of work but I'm pleased..

Front end was a pain. Had to modify looms....

Now for some performance tweets..

M-R-P
Wednesday 29th August 2012, 22:38
Now for some performance tweets..

You're on twitter too?

Bloody good job done there.
All my efforts went into the interior and getting the bloody thing to run right.
I've only recently started sorting the body.

JamesT5
Thursday 30th August 2012, 00:36
sorry terrible picture

That's stunning! Nice one mate, I hope I get mine looking like that eventually, it looks like a brand new car. Top job, well done...! :D

Regards

James

ploppy
Tuesday 4th September 2012, 14:17
Brilliant Job !! Looks fantastic !!

Well done sir !!

Ploppy:funkybana:funkybana

gsxrboy
Wednesday 5th September 2012, 10:23
i had a quote for my v70 p1 to be wrapped, £895, Romford area.