PDA

View Full Version : 280mm &302mm brake pads

t5 pete
Wednesday 22nd August 2012, 12:59
Im sure im loosing it lol im just after getting a new set of front genuine volvo pads for the v70 which has 302 mm brakes and was underr the impression the pads were the same for the 280 and 302mm and came under volvo part number 30793799 but after doing some pricing on different sites and came to pfv's they have two different sets one for the 280 which comes under the 30793799 part number and then the other set that doesnt have a part numbers im sure it was just the disc, hose and carrier that changes from the two set ups and the caliper and pads are the same.
Any info would be great

nottsgreent5
Wednesday 22nd August 2012, 16:10
Sure if you have more disc surface you will need bigger pads or is that just my strange logic lol

partsforvolvos.com
Wednesday 22nd August 2012, 16:41
the correct genuine numbers are:

30793799 15" 280mm
272343 >1998 16" 302mm
9485267 1999> 16" 302mm

i believe the larger pads are slightly deeper back to back but the calipers are the same item used.

t5 pete
Wednesday 22nd August 2012, 17:39
Brilliant Thankyou would it be possible for you to actually put the two side by side to see if there is definitely any difference between the two

960kg
Thursday 23rd August 2012, 15:10
Sure if you have more disc surface you will need bigger pads or is that just my strange logic lol

It is not quite the way one would think how the extra surface works.

I think it is a clever move by Volvo and just tells you what type of persons work for them, they are or were at the top of the tree for keeping up with technology with also not so quite modern tech but a clever twist .

The pics. show my 302mm brakes complete with the same pad i used on the 280mm before i changed them.

The pads were new so did not want to throw them away. so off i go to my Volvo Dealer and i know the parts chap and he had ordered me all the types including the plod pad and also the huge pads for the 360mm discs so that i could see them all together with my 280mm pads and the 302mm discs.

I came back home with all my original pads etc as they are all the same size except for the huge 360mmdisc pads.

The numbers are different because of the material they are made of.

Where the extra braking surface comes in is that although they are 302 - 280= 22 that is diameter so half of that is only 11mm either side and most part of that is taken up near the centre as an air gap for more extra cooling of the disc.

The different pad carrier then moves out 11mm the same size pads and the extra braking surface is 11mm all the way around the diameter to equal the extra amount together with the extra cooling from the air gap.....quite a clever move.

The pic. of part numbers marked red are the same number for 15" or 16" which proves the point of pad size. Of course we all know that the 302 discs cannot be used on 15" wheels so why are the pads the same number???

As said the difference in numbers is due to the material difference, these numbers are from plod spec motor.

Hope this helps?

t5 pete
Thursday 23rd August 2012, 15:25
top man 960 i thought so but just threw me off with pfv advertising the two different ones

partsforvolvos.com
Friday 24th August 2012, 12:09
sorry but i havent got the 2 genuine numbers in stock to compare .

but i can tell you that some aftermarket manufactuers have differnt numbers for 280 or 302 whilst others do not, and the 2 different genuine numbers for the 302mm pads i quoted above are the same size and look identical!!

the plot thickens .................

**on occasion we do use a different pfv number on our site for same part on different applications to make the catalogue easier to follow.