PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP!!!! Window Tinting.

Harry the Hitman v40
Tuesday 21st August 2012, 19:49
Hey guys,

im looking to tint my windows on my 1997 volvo v40. Im putting light smoke on the front and dark smoke on the back. But i want to do it pro and to do this i need to remove the windows from the vehicle. as i am starting with all the rear ones i would like to know how you get them out. i know you need to remove the inside door pannels but i dont know how to and how do you get the rear ones out. (its an estate btw)

thank you

M-R-P
Tuesday 21st August 2012, 19:59
You don't need to remove the glass mate, just make sure you buy the expensive tint film, not the cheap ebay crap. I made that mistake.
Check out the vids on youtube too, theyre very helpful.

Harry the Hitman v40
Tuesday 21st August 2012, 22:50
Cheers mate. I bought some from halfords. £22 a roll (50x2640) do you think that will be good enough. Ill check the vids, any advice on how to go about it?

M-R-P
Tuesday 21st August 2012, 23:13
fairy liquid and water in a spray bottle and loads of it.
use a hot air gun and shrink and trim the film round the outside of the window, without removing the backing, then pull the backing off, bit by bit, spraying the fairy liquid mix on it as you go and apply it to the inside.
good luck mate, you'll need it.

;)

I want a T5
Wednesday 22nd August 2012, 07:57
Hateful job.........

I did my rear windows and as soon as I rolled them down, the wretched stuff wrinkled up into a complete mess!

I'll be getting mine done proffessionally sometime in the future.

But as said, take your time, be scrupulously clean (any spec of dirt under the tinting film will show up like the balls on a bulldog!) and use pleanty of water/detergent!

And beware the level of tint going on the front doors, they may already be on the limit and Mr Plod may take a dislike to that!

Harry the Hitman v40
Wednesday 22nd August 2012, 08:33
Thanks for the advice guys, ive looked at a few tutorials on you tube and i think i should be alright giving it a bash. I will post pics up so you guys can let me know what you think. Fingers crossed it all goes well.

vaderboyo
Wednesday 22nd August 2012, 11:09
look forward to seeing the end result

good luck

Jimmie
Wednesday 22nd August 2012, 17:22
The company that i use always take out the windows where possible.They even take them out of the commecial vehicles they do.

Al115
Wednesday 22nd August 2012, 18:22
Can you even tint the front windows on our cars legally, given the state that they come out of the factory?

Harry the Hitman v40
Wednesday 22nd August 2012, 22:02
yeh you can have as dark as you want on the front and you can have anything upto 25% on front. even if they come slightly tinted from the factory if your applying something like light smoke it wont make it darker as light travels through to the darkest layer being the tint. if you get what i mean lol. Anyhow, just reserved a roll of savage dark smoke and a savage tinting application pack so picking that up thursday morning, gunna tint the backs then, so will post before and after pics, if im any good then ill open up my services to forum members. :D

V70 Graham
Wednesday 22nd August 2012, 22:10
Looking forward to seeing the pictures.....good luck !

Harry the Hitman v40
Thursday 23rd August 2012, 21:07

Well this is just a quick shot of my first window. Almost 100% perfect. 1 tiny un-noticeable bubble. I think it looks good, what do you guys think? More pics to follow when car is done, so far 3 our of 7 done, only bought a 2 meter roll so will have to purchase a second dark smoke and a roll of light smoke for the fronts.

vaderboyo
Thursday 23rd August 2012, 21:23
hats off to you that looks like a great job

V70 Graham
Thursday 23rd August 2012, 22:22
Must say that does look a good job, hopefully you can let us know how you get on with the rest....