PDA

View Full Version : Tips and advice needed for radiator change on my 850 R

volvo850R
Sunday 19th August 2012, 17:55
Hi guys. Im in need of some tips and advice for changing the radiator on my manual 855R. Ive been gathering parts for weeks(radiator, expansion tank, hose clips and volvo coolant) and got up today intending to get the job done but after doing a bit of googling on the topic this morning i got put off.

Ive read a few conflicting threads and scare mongering from the US forums about removing the radiator. Some say its got to be removed from under the car which is near enough imposible on my R due to how low it is - zero chance of it getting up on the ramps without ripping the bumper off. I would idealy be looking to remove it from the top as it seems silly to drop it out under the car as theres plenty of room in the engine bay imo. Has anyone here done this from the top of the engone bay? I need to know whats involved not fussed about making more work for myself.

Second problem is the clips for the trans and oil cooler pipes that connect to the radiator. Do these need changing or can they be reused? Mine look okay and are not rotted but have surface rust by the look of things. How hard are these pipes to detach from the radiator. And if i need to replace them does anyone know the volvo part number or what ive got to ask for etc?

And lastly is there anything else i should know about doing this job before i start.

Thanks in advance.

T5frankie
Sunday 19th August 2012, 19:17
When I done mine I took the light surround off which made it easy to get to the radiator, use new clips, they ain't cheap about 7 quid each from volvo, top tip after fitting them, put cable ties around them in case they try to pop off, as one of mine did once

volvo850R
Sunday 19th August 2012, 22:24
thanks for that info buddy. I noticed ealier that the light surround is all one peice, got me thinking :D

volvo850R
Monday 20th August 2012, 17:48
Can anyone confirm if i need the various o-rings new aswell or is it okay to use the old ones. They dont appear to be leaking...

T5frankie
Monday 20th August 2012, 18:45
What o rings?

volvo850R
Tuesday 21st August 2012, 01:12
What o rings?

on the oil cooler pipework that plugs into the radiator?

craigoodwood
Wednesday 22nd August 2012, 07:04
i've got some long, high ramps you'd be able to get up if you wanna borrow them ;)

http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww155/craig-abby/craigsphone203.jpg
http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww155/craig-abby/craigsphone202.jpg

volvo850R
Wednesday 22nd August 2012, 17:39
Hi mate, that would be awsome if i could borrow them off you!! I realy need to make me some of those. You are only around the corner from me too :B_thumb:

Just send me a PM about it buddy im doing it on Sunday.

volvo850R
Wednesday 22nd August 2012, 19:52
Aha after a week of searching i can confirm the part numbers needed for the oil cooler pipe o-rings and seals for a MANUAL 850R/V70R (at the radiator end)are.....

6842413(o-ring)
6842414(sealing ring)

You need 2 of each.

The part numbers for the retainers are 6842411 and again you need 2.

Hope this helps someone out in the future.

craigoodwood
Thursday 23rd August 2012, 07:04
ill pm you later this avo, i'm home from 3 today;)

MoleT-5R
Thursday 23rd August 2012, 07:09
i've got some long, high ramps you'd be able to get up if you wanna borrow them ;)

http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww155/craig-abby/craigsphone203.jpg
http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww155/craig-abby/craigsphone202.jpg

Looking at the registration on Craig's car it would be an ideal vehicle for LiamT4.....LOL

volvo850R
Sunday 2nd September 2012, 22:12
This job is now done, was a mission and a half but we got there! Id like to say a special thanks to craigoodwood as without borrowing his ramps this job would have been near impossible. Thanks again craig:wink:

craigoodwood
Monday 3rd September 2012, 08:37
yehar, any time brother :)
just thinkin, if you want the boot off mine ill ask the bloke thats havin it which parts he'll be taking off for its new career ;)

volvo850R
Tuesday 4th September 2012, 19:16
its okay mate il leave the boot until i find one in the same colour. there was a guy on here with one but hes in swindon so need to find a couple more bits down that way to justify driving down there as its long way to go just for the boot lid lol

Jamest5r
Tuesday 4th September 2012, 20:34
its okay mate il leave the boot until i find one in the same colour. there was a guy on here with one but hes in swindon so need to find a couple more bits down that way to justify driving down there as its long way to go just for the boot lid lol

Chad was breaking an olive t5r, Junc 1/M5.