PDA

View Full Version : Haynes Manual now available

Jaseb77
Thursday 16th August 2012, 16:20
Volvo V70 Diesel 07-12 will cover most mechanicals of > 07 S80 too.

Haynes Manual Number 5557

just released

£21

Im ordering one

partsforvolvos.com
Thursday 16th August 2012, 17:26
we will have these shortly, our price will be £16.99 in line with other models.

haynes did tell us these were in the pipeline a while ago

MoleT-5R
Saturday 18th August 2012, 06:38
But as with all modern Haynes manuals when anything these days gets more technical than changing a spark plug it will say "refer to main dealer" :slap:, so save your money and search vpcuk it will be there somewhere or ask and the lovely people here will help :worship:

JamesT5
Sunday 19th August 2012, 18:04
Volvo V70 Diesel 07-12 will cover most mechanicals of > 07 S80 too.

Haynes Manual Number 5557

just released

£21

Im ordering one

The P3 has been around since 2007 and here we are 5 years later and they've only just released the manual...???????? :wtf:

What took them so long...?

partsforvolvos.com
Tuesday 21st August 2012, 12:31
The P3 has been around since 2007 and here we are 5 years later and they've only just released the manual...???????? :wtf:

What took them so long...?

havent a clue. at one stage a few years ago i heard they would not develop any more due to the technology of the cars the manual would be very restricted but obviously that has changed.

M-R-P
Tuesday 21st August 2012, 12:37
It's probably because it takes soooo bloody long to dismantle the 2 ton monster that doing the book in less than 7 years was a stretch, even for an F1 pit crew. :D

JamesT5
Tuesday 21st August 2012, 14:44
It's probably because it takes soooo bloody long to dismantle the 2 ton monster that doing the book in less than 7 years was a stretch, even for an F1 pit crew. :D

That wouldn't suprise me, it probably took them 2 years just to figure how to take the seats out without setting off the airbags. :D

JamesT5
Tuesday 21st August 2012, 14:59

According to Wikipedia............

"Haynes manuals are written by a pair of authors, and take between 20 and 30 man-weeks.[8] A car or motorcycle is bought at the beginning of the project and sold at the end.[9] Although the workshop phase of the project usually lasts for roughly four weeks,[8] the vehicle is usually retained for a couple of months to ensure it is functioning correctly."

Then, if true, that then raises my question again as to why it's taken them 5 years to wirte a V70 P3 manual. Is it because generally there isn't a market for these manuals until cars reach a certain age, as the drivers tend to take them to the Main Stealerships for the work to be carried out, and then as the cars reach a certain age drivers tend to effect certain repairs themselves? I think this is more likely.

Regards

James

partsforvolvos.com
Tuesday 21st August 2012, 17:29
very true. for us, the demand of parts definately starts 3 years after the model comes out when they are outside of warranty.

JamesT5
Tuesday 21st August 2012, 17:33
very true. for us, the demand of parts definately starts 3 years after the model comes out when they are outside of warranty.

I bet if you wrote to Haynes, the answer they'd give you would be along the lines of the one I've suggested supported by your theory of the parts demand. I mean, who is going to want to dismantle a car and try and fix it when the car is under warranty and any 'tampering' could theoretically invalidate that warranty.

We've cracked it! :D

Regards

James

M-R-P
Tuesday 21st August 2012, 17:48
Don't Haynes also need a whole load of permissions from Volvo and parts suppliers for the sake of copyrights etc. Also, the Haynes site has had some major building redevelopment and refurbishment so maybe they're a bit behind.

JamesT5
Tuesday 21st August 2012, 19:02
Don't Haynes also need a whole load of permissions from Volvo and parts suppliers for the sake of copyrights etc. Also, the Haynes site has had some major building redevelopment and refurbishment so maybe they're a bit behind.

Yes, although I imagine the manufacturers usually grant it so people buy the overpriced parts from the Main Stealerships or even look at the amount of work that it takes to do the job, panic and ring the stealers to book the car in there for the work to be done. :D

M-R-P
Tuesday 21st August 2012, 19:30
lol, they do make a job look harder than it is sometimes, although they say a clutch job is only three spanners?I'd like to meet the spanners who decided that lol.

JamesT5
Tuesday 21st August 2012, 19:32
lol, they do make a job look harder than it is sometimes, although they say a clutch job is only three spanners?I'd like to meet the spanners who decided that lol.

Hence your phrase, "The Haynes Book Of Lies"...? :)

Timo.
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 10:57
£14.51 (random price I know) on Amazon.

T.

Redbrick
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 13:32
According to Wikipedia............

"Haynes manuals are written by a pair of authors, and take between 20 and 30 man-weeks.[8] A car or motorcycle is bought at the beginning of the project and sold at the end.[9] Although the workshop phase of the project usually lasts for roughly four weeks,[8] the vehicle is usually retained for a couple of months to ensure it is functioning correctly."

Then, if true, that then raises my question again as to why it's taken them 5 years to wirte a V70 P3 manual. Is it because generally there isn't a market for these manuals until cars reach a certain age, as the drivers tend to take them to the Main Stealerships for the work to be carried out, and then as the cars reach a certain age drivers tend to effect certain repairs themselves? I think this is more likely.

Regards

James

I find it a rare sight to see a V70 P3. Can't see a great demand for this manual, just like there is not a great demand for the car - unless I'm blind! BM's and Audi's are common as muck round here.

M-R-P
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 13:45
Loads of P3 V70 around here, they seem quite popular with the sailing club types. Plod have a few un-marked D5s too.

have to admit, given £6k, I'd grab myself a ex-plod T6 in a heartbeat.

Timo.
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 14:13
You don't need 6k.

Heres one: - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201309078680181

£4.5 Absolutely crazy price.

partsforvolvos.com
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 14:24
flip me, that's cheap!

you'll need the saving to pay for fuel in the first week whilst u play with all that power.

M-R-P
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 14:30
You don't need 6k.

I would be very suspicious of that car at that price. The gearbox is known to give up at 80 - 100k miles, plod usually change theirs at about 80k, meaning you can get a '09 fully loaded T6 with about 50K left in it before it empties your wallet.
That's toooo many miles to just be plod abuse. Mine left the force with a mere 123k miles.

oblark
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 14:31
You don't need 6k.

The only down side to that car is it`s AWD and has a gaytronic gearbox

M-R-P
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 14:35
Needs a manual why won't Volvo see sense and stick a manual in the fast cars any more? :(

oblark
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 14:42
Needs a manual why won't Volvo see sense and stick a manual in the fast cars any more? :(

Blame the yanks,

As America has the highest volvo sales and the yanks don`t know how to change gear we all have to put up with auto`s.

partsforvolvos.com
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 14:45
why hasn't somebody done a conversion themselves to fit a manual box either ? i suppose all the cars it went into like the s80 and xc90 arent really on here as much as for example the s60
is it the manual box is not suitable? u can fit a m90 , so it must be ok.

i have seen a t6 into a 1999 s40 shell as a rally car with a huge single turbo and it got 450 bhp easy - we need to do that more often.

you can't modify them much with the original GM gearbox since they are on the very limits of tolerance with that engine anyway - hence the poor reliability.

partsforvolvos.com
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 14:47
Blame the yanks,

As America has the highest volvo sales and the yanks don`t know how to change gear we all have to put up with auto`s.

all the competition such as the m3 etc is auto - with that sort of price point you are into , how can i say it, more mature territory generally as an owner, even if it is a mid life crisis.

china will be shortly far more cars than america if it isnt already - hence the special models like the s80L they already have there.

oblark
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 14:51
why hasn't somebody done a conversion themselves to fit a manual box either ? i suppose all the cars it went into like the s80 and xc90 arent really on here as much as for example the s60
is it the manual box is not suitable? u can fit a m90 , so it must be ok.

i have seen a t6 into a 1999 s40 shell as a rally car with a huge single turbo and it got 450 bhp easy - we need to do that more often.

you can't modify them much with the original GM gearbox since they are on the very limits of tolerance with that engine anyway - hence the poor reliability.

You would have to fit the gearbox from a S60R or V70R to keep it AWD

M-R-P
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 15:03
S60 T6 RWD

nom

partsforvolvos.com
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 15:05
nope, there is a t6 in a uk 240 that has a m90. proves most volvo gearbox bell housings are the same size.

partsforvolvos.com
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 15:07
here it is , i will try to find some more.
basically it was a swedich tarmac rally car.

M-R-P
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 15:09
here it is , i will try to find some more.
basically it was a swedich tarmac rally car.

Engine round the right way too :D

partsforvolvos.com
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 15:11

bonnet bulge !

MIKESC70T5
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 15:34
Haynes car manuals are a dying market, I've just had a stock cleanse and the ones I have left in stock I'm selling at £10.99 each. Latest releases I get the next day and sell for £14.99. Haynes have diversified and do manuals for so many other things now. There best selling manual last year was " Thomas the Tank Engine " which outsold any car manual two to one lol.

M-R-P
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 15:38
Haynes car manuals are a dying market, I've just had a stock cleanse and the ones I have left in stock I'm selling at £10.99 each. Latest releases I get the next day and sell for £14.99. Haynes have diversified and do manuals for so many other things now. There best selling manual last year was " Thomas the Tank Engine " which outsold any car manual two to one lol.

When the wife fell pregnant with little M-R-P, my parents bought us the Haynes book of babies - strangely, it was the most useful Haynes book I've owned! closely followed by the Haynes book of Rory the Racing Car I bought for little M-R-P, at the last Swedish day lol

partsforvolvos.com
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 15:50
agreed mike, the more complicated a car is now, the less likely you are to work on it yourself.

i just ordered my dad the lambretta manual as he just bought one.

Harvey
Tuesday 10th September 2013, 17:50
S60 T6 RWD

nom

Sounds nice,right tool box open.