PDA

View Full Version : Torqu settings for Ball Joints and Wishbones

JamesT5
Monday 13th August 2012, 11:50
Hi

Does anyone know the correct torque settings for the bolts on the wishbones and ball joints plus the tie rod end nuts for a 2001 V70 T5. I phoned the local Volvo dealers and they were not suprisingly, reluctant to help me out. I could just tighten the bolts as much as possible bu that may not be the best thing to do either.

I've had a look on the net and can't find any settings on any website. What a nightmare!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

James

stribo
Monday 13th August 2012, 12:32
I'll ha e a look in the Haynes manual when I get home, if no one posts first.

M-R-P
Monday 13th August 2012, 13:16
As I've often said to the father in law, it's one thing getting the right torque setting and carefully setting the bar but when was the last time that torque bar was calibrated?
I send stuff like this out to site on a very regular basis and our torque wrenches (ranging from 18" ones to 5' monsters) get calibrated every 6 months and you wouldn't believe how far out they go in that time. The cheaper wrenches often come in from the suppliers with a 5 or 6% variation in accuracy.

Worth noting.

I just tighten it til it "feels" right. I've only ever snapped a couple of bolts (and a couple of spanners lol)

Redbrick
Monday 13th August 2012, 13:40
Hi

Does anyone know the correct torque settings for the bolts on the wishbones and ball joints plus the tie rod end nuts for a 2001 V70 T5. I phoned the local Volvo dealers and they were not suprisingly, reluctant to help me out. I could just tighten the bolts as much as possible bu that may not be the best thing to do either.

I've had a look on the net and can't find any settings on any website. What a nightmare!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

James

From Haynes V70 & S80 book of lies:

Control arm to subframe, front bolt 65Nm then a further 90 degrees
rear bolt 105Nm then 90 degrees

Ball joint to hub carrier 40Nm

Hub carrier ball joint to control arm nut 50Nm and then 35 degrees

ARB connecting link nuts 50Nm

Drive shaft bolt 35Nm then 90 degrees.

Harvey
Monday 13th August 2012, 21:04
From Haynes V70 & S80 book of lies:

Control arm to subframe, front bolt 65Nm then a further 90 degrees
rear bolt 105Nm then 90 degrees

Ball joint to hub carrier 40Nm

Hub carrier ball joint to control arm nut 50Nm and then 35 degrees

ARB connecting link nuts 50Nm

Drive shaft bolt 35Nm then 90 degrees.

Yep my Volvo data book say the same.

JamesT5
Monday 13th August 2012, 21:40
Thanks to everyone for their help, the Volvo Stealership was less than helpful so I'm truly grateful for the info. Thanks guys!

Regards

James