PDA

View Full Version : changing clutch any special tools

graemewelch
Sunday 12th August 2012, 10:51
Im going to changing the clutch soon on my 05 t5. Any special tools i might need. Ie pins to align the subframe.

M-R-P
Sunday 12th August 2012, 11:20
I think there's a special tool for setting the self adjustment on the clutch.
The hardest bit apparantly, is getting the flywheel bolts off.

good luck mate, you're a braver man than me lol.

smithson007
Sunday 12th August 2012, 13:03
Yes like martin said there is a tool you need for setting the pressure plate. If this is not done correctly you either wont have a working clutch and have to do the job again or you can damage the pressure plate and wouldnt be useable.
Ill 2nd the good luck with the flywheel bolts an impact driver would be handy if you can get hold of one. Just check everything is torqued up to the correct amounts when reasembling.

graemewelch
Sunday 12th August 2012, 13:23
I take the tool is just for getting the clutch plate central. Done loads of clutches on fords but never on a volvo. Not worried about flywheel bolts. My breaker bar normally sorts them out. The only bit im confused about is the self adjusting set up.

smithson007
Sunday 12th August 2012, 20:12
I take the tool is just for getting the clutch plate central. Done loads of clutches on fords but never on a volvo. Not worried about flywheel bolts. My breaker bar normally sorts them out. The only bit im confused about is the self adjusting set up.

The tool i was on about is for setting the self adjusting pressure plate. A clutch allignment tool would be handy but it can be done without one just if you dont get the friction plate lined up right getting the input shaft through it will be a pig.
On the pressure plate there is sort of wedge shaped bits on the back of it that you need to wind fully back in to get the clutch together then when you apply the clutch the first time it releases them and as the clutch wears down they keep moving further in. Are you changing your DMF?

graemewelch
Sunday 12th August 2012, 21:06
Yes ill be changing the lot. are these adjusting tools sensible money. I need to wiegh up the pros and cons of paying someone and doing it my self

LeeT5
Tuesday 14th August 2012, 23:23
Yes ill be changing the lot. are these adjusting tools sensible money. I need to wiegh up the pros and cons of paying someone and doing it my self

Just had a new Luk kit fitted to my R. The kit comprises DMF, Clutch plate, flywheel bolts (Volvo), Concentric slave cylinder. As a complete kit it has a 2 year guarantee. There are also two choices. 1) standard clutch. 2) 'arduous conditions' clutch. I opted for #2 due to my car running more horses.

Total price was £1386 inc VAT/Fitting.

There is a special tool for setting up the clutch on the DMF as said. Smithson is right. It's what the garage up North didn't use when they fitted the clutch at 75k. My car is now on 125k and the old DMF had tonnes of play in it (hense the clonking noise when changing gears) and the clutch plate was half worn but the DMF face was blue where it had got hot, caused by clutch slip.

Now with my new clutch, no clonking, no slip and boy does it pull so much stronger!! Smoother too as its not slipping.

Is a 2 day job and afterwards the wheel alighnment had to be done, again! (that's another £60).I've been told my new clutch should last at least 100k mapped or not. Time will tell.

M-R-P
Wednesday 15th August 2012, 10:28
£60 for alignment? who's doing it - the Maclaren F1 pit crew?
I know what you mean tho, they have to move/remove the steering rack to do the job. they sent my tracking way out when my clutch was done.

graemewelch
Wednesday 15th August 2012, 14:21
Thatll be 4 wheel laser alignmemt off when they removed the subframe. now ive seen a pressure plate i now fully under stand what gets adjusted. I could be tempted to part x the car and leave the clutch. Once clutch is fitted ill be selling the car anyway

M-R-P
Wednesday 15th August 2012, 14:24
Local Hi-Q does 4 wheel lazer alignment with printouts and chassis geometry for £25, shop around peeps ;)

Graeme - you selling up in readiness for heading to OZ? or have you just had enough of the car lol.

graemewelch
Wednesday 15th August 2012, 14:45
Not heading for oz yet. Ive got two border collies that dont agree with my ocd for cleaning. Have a saloon with a cream leather interior is a bad mix. Id get a 2.4t5 v70 if could find one. But they are like hens teeth. Prob going to get a d5 xc90. Who ever buys my car will be getting a very good car. Its served me well

M-R-P
Wednesday 15th August 2012, 14:50
There's some brilliant ex-plods appearing at the moment and anything past '54 plate should have the 2.4 lump.

graemewelch
Wednesday 15th August 2012, 15:20
Id never be happy with one. Id always be saying its not like my s60. Im very anal about cars. Mines a se lux with almost every toy and in almost perfect condition. Id even consider a d5 gaytronic if had right miles and not daft money

LeeT5
Thursday 16th August 2012, 02:30
Local Hi-Q does 4 wheel lazer alignment with printouts and chassis geometry for £25, shop around peeps ;)

Mate, with respect, if you ask how much their machine cost and how accurate it is, they will probably tell you its the best there is. Fact is, it won't be that good that's why it only costs £25! I have had wheel alighnment done on various cars by various outfits including (please forgive me:saint:) Kwikfit. Problem is, they never get it right first time, its never 100% straight and you nearly always end up going back because its worse than when it went in! IMHO All fast fit tyre centers are rubbish at doing wheel alignment because their machines are never calibrated and they don't look after the equipment, let alone know how to use it properly. I shopped around for years and i wouldn't go anywhere else now. I've been using Elite for about 10 years now and they never fail to impress. Their alighnment machines cost a fortune and there are four of them in a dedicated alighnment bay where the guys are properly trained on Total alighnment and have the ability to adjust everything including measurements for Camber, caster, Toe, steer ahead and thrust angle. If you go to Kwikfit (for example) the only thing they can adjust is toe, cos that's all their machines can do. I've been to a couple of Hi-Qs and there not much better either. All of them make me laugh when they torque up your wheel nuts, AFTER they've hammered your wheel nuts on with an air impact gun!! LOL :slap:. So, for the last ten years i've avoided those sort of places like the plague. I'd rather pay more doe and get the job done correctly, first time, everytime, with very very accurate alighnment machines dedicated to doing the job there meant to do.
Elite is a 40 minute drive away too (in good traffic) and it costs me £10 in fuel there and back. That's how good they are and that's how perfect my alighnment is after they have worked on my car, hense why i don't have a problem paying £70 total to get the job done. Providing i don't hit any potholes i invariably don't have to visit them again until the next set of tyres...that's approx 20,000 miles. I would consider that very good value for money and garantee's i get the most out of my tyres. The rest is down to me and my driving style, wouldn't you agree?

£60 for alignment? who's doing it - the Maclaren F1 pit crew?

Er, no. That's £49 + vat. I consider that, bearing in mind all the above, to be a very good price. They check it for free anyway!

graemewelch
Thursday 16th August 2012, 18:11
After making a few phone calls ive managed to source a luk clutch dmf and slave £350. I can get my local garage to fit for 248. Im guessing that inc oils.

smithson007
Thursday 16th August 2012, 19:56
After making a few phone calls ive managed to source a luk clutch dmf and slave £350. I can get my local garage to fit for 248. Im guessing that inc oils.

That sounds very cheap. DMF's are usaully around the £400-£500 mark by themselves. Sounds like youve got a bargain for parts and fitting. Prices i was getting quoted for fitting was around £500 so just do my own now.

LeeT5
Thursday 16th August 2012, 23:51

What?? ARe you sure???

Mate, i just had mine all done last week. Prices were as follows:

LUK Dual Mass Flywheel (Arduous conditions) £477 inc vat. (they do two types - standard and Arduous condition. I opted for the latter as its more heavy duty)
LUK Clutch slave cylinder £107.17 inc vat.
LUK clutch kit £225 inc vat.
Labour - 8 hours inc 3 litres of gearbox oil (F.O.C) £576 inc vat.

Total price £1386.86 includes a 2 year guarantee.

Are you 100% they are quoting you the correct parts? Seems stupidly cheap!!

FYI main dealer quoted me £1900 all in inc 1 year guarantee.

more to the point, how on earth are they fitting it for £248? They can't be making anything at that price, infact i would say they will make a loss. That's sounds too good to be true.

NB. Special tools are required to do the job correctly. If not done properly then the DMF will be shagged in 30k and your clutch will start to slip at around 40-50k.

icooney
Wednesday 3rd October 2012, 20:42
DIY, the clutch needs to be bolted to the fly on the bench the the spines flexing and the adjusters on the clutch ratcheting around with a screw driver, then take apart, put in line up with a socket, away you go, I used a pillar drill and a block for ease of pressing the splines done (they are a strong spring!) I just did my R in August 4 day strip and refit saved me a fortune!

T5frankie
Wednesday 3rd October 2012, 20:59
:B_offtopi thread ressurection lol

icooney
Wednesday 3rd October 2012, 21:07
My bad