PDA

View Full Version : coil packs .

ROZER
Friday 10th August 2012, 10:12
right i only changed the plugs today with volvos own.and it feels like the car is going to cut out when i stop at lights also feels down on power.i did notice that one of the coil packs was brown in colour when all the other ones where black do you think this is the start off it failing i have put me code reader on and theres no faults and the plugs are the right plugs for my car any help would be good as am going on holiday saturday with family and car.????

M-R-P
Friday 10th August 2012, 10:30
Did you check the gaps on the plugs?
I know theyre preset but they might have had a knock.
coil pack failure will always throw a code mate.
hth

JamesT5
Friday 10th August 2012, 10:34
right i only changed the plugs today with volvos own.and it feels like the car is going to cut out when i stop at lights also feels down on power.i did notice that one of the coil packs was brown in colour when all the other ones where black do you think this is the start off it failing i have put me code reader on and theres no faults and the plugs are the right plugs for my car any help would be good as am going on holiday saturday with family and car.????

Hi

I've been through this problem myself although it was easier to detect as I had fault codes. Look up my misfire threads on the P2 thread here and you can read through what I did with the help of others from the forum.

The coil packs do look a bit brown mate as they get hot, I found it didn't make much difference but if they're black with soot then you may have some issue there.

It may not even be the coils, it could be the ETM issue but then you'd have the Check Engine message and also the engine emissions light would come on. That light also comes on when the coils are playing up and usually under load (i.e. harsh acceleration). Try unplugging the coil packs and swapping them all around, just watch you don't end up catching the wires and stripping the insulation, I did that and ended up creating another issue on top and then having to solder stuff back together.

My only other thought is a MAF issue (but why no codes to go with it) or possibly valve issues. Try disconnecting the MAF electrical connector and see if there is any difference.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

James

ROZER
Friday 10th August 2012, 11:03
i mean i spent about £120 quid in all on oil plugs filters and shes running worse than before am not happy. i have never had a bad code with this car which is strange. but i have noticed quite a bit of oil come away from the turbo maybe the seals are on there way out but dont think it would make it run that bad .?????

ROZER
Friday 10th August 2012, 11:04
also what would you gap volvo plugs too.

M-R-P
Friday 10th August 2012, 11:06
I don't know what gap the plugs are mate.
When you say you changed the filters - did you change the fuel filter?

ROZER
Friday 10th August 2012, 11:15
no mate took out the itg filter and replaced with paper. and changed the cabin filter.did fuel filter a year ago.

ROZER
Friday 10th August 2012, 11:25
right this might sound mad but i have had the car jacked up for 2 days on and off doing me brakes . for some reason after letting the car down from the jack the car was running better than it ever had felt like a different car. so it got me thinking why, so i did the service and shes running like a dog can only happen to me ? when the car is running i can hear a strange noise under the car from the back by fuel filter.???

M-R-P
Friday 10th August 2012, 11:43
Might be worth changing the filter - maybe something lodged in it or some crud has moved about inside.
It's worth doing the fuel filter annually any way.

JamesT5
Friday 10th August 2012, 11:46
I don't know what gap the plugs are mate.
When you say you changed the filters - did you change the fuel filter?

I heard it's 0.72mm.

ROZER
Friday 10th August 2012, 11:56
right ok fuel filter then . they come gapped at 0.8 i thought that would be ok to be honest am going to remove the rica map in a mo drive the car round then put it back on and see if theres any difference i have never been happy with rica i have changed every part you could think off but it could be all down to this map am going to find out . cheers lads for the help.

ROZER
Friday 10th August 2012, 15:52
right am sure its the etm my mate from volvo seems to think a good clean is in order so when i get back from hols with give it a go .