PDA

View Full Version : T5 idle issues solved!!

d2k
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 14:56
ok so following on from an earlier thread i made regarding my poorly idle... (which Mr MRP has been most helpful with, thanks Martin)

had my spark plugs changed.....then...MAF changed, the problem still persisted, nearly stalling at every stop hesitation while accelerating & generally a poor running condition.

i FINALLY found the cause.... you wont believe it.

this CRAP has been my issue without realizing it for at least a month!!:splat:,

this morning i filled up with standard 95ron stuff & the car INSTANTLY returned to its former glory... as soon as i started the car..

no more poor idle

no more MIL light

no more 'ENGINE SERVICE REQUIRED' message

i thought there's no way that was the cause so i took it for a 15mile jaunt ..... & the problem is completely gone, car purrs again.

so, i cant see my car being unique... if you have the B5234T3 engine, id steer WELL clear of this stuff.

they're slogan make me laugh.... 'miles better off', damn right if i wernt using your pants fuel.

M-R-P
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 15:14
Haha nice one mate. I've used that stuff before and all I noticed was the car drinking LOADS of it with no noticeable difference in performance.

Wanna know how to clear the "time for regular service" message now? ;)

d2k
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 15:19
Haha nice one mate. I've used that stuff before and all I noticed was the car drinking LOADS of it with no noticeable difference in performance.

Wanna know how to clear the "time for regular service" message now? ;)

yes please.......:Handshake i was gonna add that one still remains.

M-R-P
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 15:27
Key in ignition...
position "0"
press and hold the trip reset button on the speedo
turn key, slowly to position II and hold the reset button till the orange triangle flashes and you hear the "ping, ping" seatbelt noise and immediately release the reset button.
Done.

Main stealer tried pulling a fast one on me by triggering that warning. You should have seen his face drop when I got in and turned it off in front of him lol.

M-R-P
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 15:27
Go on - go try it ;)

d2k
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 15:42
Key in ignition...
position "0"
press and hold the trip reset button on the speedo
turn key, slowly to position II and hold the reset button till the orange triangle flashes and you hear the "ping, ping" seatbelt noise and immediately release the reset button.
Done.

Main stealer tried pulling a fast one on me by triggering that warning. You should have seen his face drop when I got in and turned it off in front of him lol.

hmm....... it wont do it.??

when i hold the button down then slowly turn to position 2, it resets the trip comp then a few seconds after i hear a single beep (not seatbelt sound) & i get these digits pop up in the screen... ''025'' in the top corner, then reverts to normal, service sign still remains.??

could it be b/c i sent my DIM off for repair..??

M-R-P
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 15:43
Ok, try position I then hold the button and turn to position II.
I think if you hold it too long, it cancels the reset.

d2k
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 15:51
Ok, try position I then hold the button and turn to position II.
I think if you hold it too long, it cancels the reset.

nope....... still no go.:sorry:

just get the same single 'beep' and the little code in the corner.....??

could it also be affected by the poxy SRS warning on the dash..??

M-R-P
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 15:59
Won't be the srs warning.
Ok, follow closely...

Key position I,
Hold the reset and within 2 seconds, turn to position II.
Keep holding the reset for a few seconds and release.
That should do it. I was thinking of mine, yours is 2002 iirc and slightly different.

d2k
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 16:06
Won't be the srs warning.
Ok, follow closely...

Key position I,
Hold the reset and within 2 seconds, turn to position II.
Keep holding the reset for a few seconds and release.
That should do it. I was thinking of mine, yours is 2002 iirc and slightly different.

lol...... its still not working :rolleyes2

lets see if i can make a little vid, just to show my actions are EXACT to what is written...

M-R-P
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 16:09
little note...
if the trip is already reset, hold the reset button for at least 10 seconds but no more than 14 seconds. any longer and it won't work :)

M-R-P
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 16:18
Oh and turn ignition off straight after.

d2k
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 16:31
right.... here's a little vid

View My Video (http://tinypic.com/r/i6f5ap/6)

you can see the actual trip meter had reset & i realized i dont get the single 'beep' unless i just hold the button in after turning to pos 2.. which wasnt what you suggested anyway.

it just dont seen to wanna budge...... maybe there is a problem still somewhere.

MattM
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 16:39
Stick to the V-Power :)

jdavis
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 18:07
i use tesco momentum and touch wood have never had a problem. tbh not really compared the fuel economy to anything else

d2k
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 19:32
regular service warning BANISHED back to whence it came... :hbomb:

every Volvo should come with an emergency MRP contact line

M-R-P
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 19:40
Lol, some may disagree with the above comment but I try when I can ;)

V70 Graham
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 20:05
every Volvo should come with an emergency MRP contact line

I just wish it was an 0800 number that mobile's costing me a fortune :rotfl:

JamesT5
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 20:39
ok so following on from an earlier thread i made regarding my poorly idle... (which Mr MRP has been most helpful with, thanks Martin)

had my spark plugs changed.....then...MAF changed, the problem still persisted, nearly stalling at every stop hesitation while accelerating & generally a poor running condition.

i FINALLY found the cause.... you wont believe it.

this CRAP has been my issue without realizing it for at least a month!!:splat:,

this morning i filled up with standard 95ron stuff & the car INSTANTLY returned to its former glory... as soon as i started the car..

no more poor idle

no more MIL light

no more 'ENGINE SERVICE REQUIRED' message

i thought there's no way that was the cause so i took it for a 15mile jaunt ..... & the problem is completely gone, car purrs again.

so, i cant see my car being unique... if you have the B5234T3 engine, id steer WELL clear of this stuff.

they're slogan make me laugh.... 'miles better off', damn right if i wernt using your pants fuel.

So the so-called 'Premium Fuel' was making the car run worse...? LMAO!! I remember a few weeks ago debating on a thread on here about how standard fuel is fine to use and the performance stuff is massively over rated. If I've understood your problem correctly, it looks like this has supported my argument all along.

To be honest, rough running as I've found out myself is usually either ignition coils or ETM. Have you performed an ETM clean yet?

Regards

James

d2k
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 20:45
So the so-called 'Premium Fuel' was making the car run worse...? LMAO!! I remember a few weeks ago debating on a thread on here about how standard fuel is fine to use and the performance stuff is massively over rated. If I've understood your problem correctly, it looks like this has supported my argument all along.

To be honest, rough running as I've found out myself is usually either ignition coils or ETM. Have you performed an ETM clean yet?

Regards

James

yep, crap fuel is crap!!!

coils did cross my mind as did the ETM...... ive got the later Bosch ETM on mine & ive heard when these go they just go.. no throttle flutter.

the coils would of been looked at next, but ...... not a Tesco is sight & all is well! :B_thumb:

t5 stealth
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 22:00
i only ever use tesco momentum stuff,
never had a problem with it,ever

d2k
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 22:07
i only ever use tesco momentum stuff,
never had a problem with it,ever

have you got a P2 T5..???

if so this leads me to think there's still probably something wrong with mine...... :sorry:

vaderboyo
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 22:29
the only reason i buy tesco fuel is cos of the club card points......saving enough ponits to get free RAC cover for when their petrol knackers my engine lol

t5 stealth
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 22:38

if so this leads me to think there's still probably something wrong with mine...... :sorry:

no but the engine aint much different lol.
i hope you have cured it tho :)

t5 pete
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 22:46
I got out off the tesco petrol before when they had tesco super unleaded i had a burnt valve and quite a few others around the same time and then funnly enough the tesco super was took off and moved to the momentrum stuff weather is was coinsidence i dont know but have only ever used shell since with no problems what so ever and all the same mods and map

M-R-P
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 23:00
Tesco got screwed a while back for selling dodgy fuel that knackered a lot of engines...:(

JamesT5
Wednesday 8th August 2012, 19:37
yep, crap fuel is crap!!!

coils did cross my mind as did the ETM...... ive got the later Bosch ETM on mine & ive heard when these go they just go.. no throttle flutter.

the coils would of been looked at next, but ...... not a Tesco is sight & all is well! :B_thumb:

No, from what I understood the fuel you were using was premium fuel like V-Power and you said it has mucked your engine up. I've used Supermarket fuel with no issues and I get loyalty points too.

t5 stealth
Wednesday 8th August 2012, 20:00
Tesco got screwed a while back for selling dodgy fuel that knackered a lot of engines...:(

yeah it was destroying lambda sensors,i think it cost tesco a few quid that mistake lol

Harvey
Wednesday 8th August 2012, 21:06
I know a tesco near my the tanker driver mixed up the diesel & petrol tanks when he did a delivery,that did cost them a bit I think it was 20-30 cars until they were told they had a problem.

t5 stealth
Wednesday 8th August 2012, 21:16
I know a tesco near my the tanker driver mixed up the diesel & petrol tanks when he did a delivery,that did cost them a bit I think it was 20-30 cars until they were told they had a problem.

that aint good, lol

JamesT5
Wednesday 8th August 2012, 21:32

Yes mate, it's a P2.

M-R-P
Wednesday 8th August 2012, 21:53
It could be just a bad batch from a particular Tesco? :)

They don't all come off the same ship.

LeeT5
Tuesday 14th August 2012, 23:37
Funny, i never realised Tesco made fuel!???

Anyway, from what i know, petrol all comes from the same refinery. It's the additives they put in b4 it fills the tankers which denotes, Tesco MOmentum, Esso, Shell V-power, etc etc. Obviously BP use their own fuel as do Shell, but Tesco i think you will find is sourced from Esso! Please correct me if i'm wrong.

LeeT5
Tuesday 14th August 2012, 23:39

I have a P2 and i have used Momentum and V-power (mixed sometimes month by month i change) for 2 years now with absolutely no problems, ever!!

Something tells me d2k you've not fixed your problem. The only way to be sure is to fill her up with Momentum when empty again and see if it runs crap.

d2k
Saturday 8th September 2012, 12:05
I have a P2 and i have used Momentum and V-power (mixed sometimes month by month i change) for 2 years now with absolutely no problems, ever!!

Something tells me d2k you've not fixed your problem. The only way to be sure is to fill her up with Momentum when empty again and see if it runs crap.

how right you are......... the problem has returned, shoddy idle & i aint been near a Tesco's... ??, if i steer the wheel while there's no revs the car stalls, the load of the power steering cuts the engine out..??

i have however discovered that if i remove the batt for 30 mins the car goes back to normal, runs like a charm, perfect idle & dont feel lumpy... but then 2 days pass & the problem returns..?? ive been taking the batt off now everytime it starts playing up ...

can someone please elaborate as to why the car HAS the ability to run normally & does so for a few days then turns to sh.t again..??

is this an electrical problem im looking at, coils failing..?? there's no MIL light either..??

at the moment the car is fine again as i unplugged the batt to wire in my boost gauge, but the problem WILL return....

any ideas lads..... just throw out some hypothetical's...lol :smile:, is there anyway to adjust the idle a little higher..??

LeeT5
Saturday 8th September 2012, 14:20
You cannot adjust the idle on a P2 ME7.1 motronic unless you remap.

If I were you I would take the car to an Indy and have them check live readings when it's running let's not waste anymore time or money making suggestions that it could be this or it could be that!

deathrider311271
Saturday 8th September 2012, 19:24
Funny, i never realised Tesco made fuel!???

Anyway, from what i know, petrol all comes from the same refinery. It's the additives they put in b4 it fills the tankers which denotes, Tesco MOmentum, Esso, Shell V-power, etc etc. Obviously BP use their own fuel as do Shell, but Tesco i think you will find is sourced from Esso! Please correct me if i'm wrong.

yep you are wrong lol, also wrong about BP an Shell only using their own refineries, i can tell you for a fact i see Tesco, Shell and BP tankers all coming out of Lindsey oil refinery (Total Fina owned) and also Conoco (i think they are owned by Texaco).

Also unless the Tesco fuel was contaminated in some way it wont have caused the car problem, the company i used to deliver samples of these fuels too (Sabolt) who do all the testing for the uk market on all fuels told me Tesco momentum is no better or worse than any of the others and it would be impossible for it to cause engine damage or premeture failure of sensors unless contaminated for some reason, now thats from the experts not me.

deathrider311271
Saturday 8th September 2012, 19:28
how right you are......... the problem has returned, shoddy idle & i aint been near a Tesco's... ??, if i steer the wheel while there's no revs the car stalls, the load of the power steering cuts the engine out..??

i have however discovered that if i remove the batt for 30 mins the car goes back to normal, runs like a charm, perfect idle & dont feel lumpy... but then 2 days pass & the problem returns..?? ive been taking the batt off now everytime it starts playing up ...

can someone please elaborate as to why the car HAS the ability to run normally & does so for a few days then turns to sh.t again..??

is this an electrical problem im looking at, coils failing..?? there's no MIL light either..??

at the moment the car is fine again as i unplugged the batt to wire in my boost gauge, but the problem WILL return....

any ideas lads..... just throw out some hypothetical's...lol :smile:, is there anyway to adjust the idle a little higher..??

i have a very simular problem with my P1 V70, just today we have found the problem, my intercooler is cracked so i would suggest a pressure test on your intake side of things and it was throwing up random codes not related to the real problem

Simon

d2k
Saturday 8th September 2012, 19:46
i have a very simular problem with my P1 V70, just today we have found the problem, my intercooler is cracked so i would suggest a pressure test on your intake side of things and it was throwing up random codes not related to the real problem

Simon

thanks simon........ ill turn my attention to the IC & connections:smile:

deathrider311271
Saturday 8th September 2012, 19:55
thanks simon........ ill turn my attention to the IC & connections:smile:

its worth a look matey, i have spent 6 weeks changing sensors and looking for this problem oh and cost me over £1000 in parts alone lol oh well at least they shouldnt need changing for a while :rainfro:

Volvo Family
Friday 5th October 2012, 16:05
Have you tried cleaning the ETM? ALthough it won't fail in the same way as the p.o.s. MM ones, it could give your idle problems if dirty.

M-R-P
Friday 5th October 2012, 16:12
I think he's sorted it now mate, a progressive split was found in one of the boost pipes.

d2k
Saturday 6th October 2012, 09:23
yep..... it turned out to be a mixture of 2 issues.

a big b-stard crack hidden on the pipe from IC to ETM & a super clogged ETM disc.... car runs like a charm again!! :smile:

M-R-P
Saturday 6th October 2012, 09:45
yep..... it turned out to be a mixture of 2 issues.

a big b-stard crack hidden on the pipe from IC to ETM & a super clogged ETM disc.... car runs like a charm again!! :smile:

Woohoo! Happy days Mitch! Let the mods begin:)

d2k
Saturday 6th October 2012, 09:49
Woohoo! Happy days Mitch! Let the mods begin:)

lol.... i was thinking the same,

but...

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?46867-i-think-my-wastegate-is-letting-by&highlight=

:wtf:

M-R-P
Saturday 6th October 2012, 09:54
lol.... i was thinking the same,

but...

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?46867-i-think-my-wastegate-is-letting-by&highlight=

:wtf:

Already replied.
I'm using my android tablet thing so can't open a chat popup but I don't think there's a problem mate

d2k
Saturday 6th October 2012, 09:58
Already replied.
I'm using my android tablet thing so can't open a chat popup but I don't think there's a problem mate

:hail: thanks mate...... it is MUCH improved.

argyllt5
Sunday 25th November 2012, 16:29
i used to deliver the petrol out of the bunsfield refinery at hemel hempstead. tesco,esso,morrison's etc come out the same bund. except for obviously the higher octane fuels.!
that was just before the place went up in smoke... lol