PDA

View Full Version : How to get my fuel economy to match my 2003 s60

Ians
Monday 6th August 2012, 22:42
Hi it seems there are a lot of people out there who have gone from phase 2 volvo d5 to the newer phase 3 v70 obviously I am one of them. I would also like to get back to 50mpg motoring instead of 37-38. I have also spent hours looking for the answer on the web. I hope someone on here can enlighten people like me on what to do. The new car is better in every other department than the phase 2 model and suggesting I get one is not the answer im looking for lol.
Fingers crossed someone as the answer and can give me my missing 70-100miles per tankful I am missing. I would like someone who as had the dpf removed and a re map to answer if that's possible but I cannot find the answer online
Thanks in advance

M-R-P
Monday 6th August 2012, 22:46
Doing the DPF and a remap will help but the big factor here is that a P2 is around 1550kg and P3 V70s are about 2000kg. I imagine the old D5 would return 35mpg with 300-400kg extra weight onboard.

Ians
Monday 6th August 2012, 22:58
Hi Martinrpeachey thanks for that answer it makes sense was hoping that wasnt the case so you think that 37-38 is all I can expect. Is there any suggestion you could make to that would be cost effective ie remap or just live with it?

M-R-P
Monday 6th August 2012, 23:06
Maybe look at your driving style?
Most cars, petrol or deisel will go into top gear at 30-35 mph (just ton't try to go uphill or overtake lol), generally try to keep the car in as higher gear as possible with gentle presses on the throttle, keeping it nice and smooth.

How often do you reset the mpg readout?

Premium derv may help too.

Just to make you feel better - I'm lucky to get 24mpg from mine during the week lol. (it is a T5 tho ;))

Ians
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 15:35
Believe it or not thats how I try to drive and the mileage is reset probably round the 1000 mile mark. You pay highly for performance and at those figures for your T5 it would bankrupt me lol

M-R-P
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 15:38
Lol, luckily we don't go far. On a run up the M-way, we get about 35mpg.

If I hammer it I get about 9 pmsl.

ExternalError
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 16:08
oh the single figure joys of a T5 I fear ever putting my mpg to instant, but as a friend of mine once said its smiles per gallon in a t5 not miles per gallon

LiamT4
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 21:06
Hi it seems there are a lot of people out there who have gone from phase 2 volvo d5 to the newer phase 3 v70 obviously I am one of them. I would also like to get back to 50mpg motoring instead of 37-38. I have also spent hours looking for the answer on the web. I hope someone on here can enlighten people like me on what to do. The new car is better in every other department than the phase 2 model and suggesting I get one is not the answer im looking for lol.
Fingers crossed someone as the answer and can give me my missing 70-100miles per tankful I am missing. I would like someone who as had the dpf removed and a re map to answer if that's possible but I cannot find the answer online
Thanks in advance

How many miles has it done? If its pretty new it may get better the more miles it does.

Make sure the tyre pressures are correct and lots of use of the air con will bring the mpg down and i think there are now remaps specifically for economy.

oh the single figure joys of a T5 I fear ever putting my mpg to instant, but as a friend of mine once said its smiles per gallon in a t5 not miles per gallon

My T4 had the decency of not being able to show single figure mpg, the readout couldn't show less than 11.1mpg. lol
Unfortunatly my 540 isn't like that, nevermind though, its more fun when the cars doing 12mpg than it is at 30mpg!

Ians
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 22:27
I use the air con more than I used to as I was told if you don't use it you lose. The mileage is 118 000 so I would think it wont get much better on the mileage front and I run the tyres at 34psi all round. Who do I use for an remap and any idea on price? Im based in Burnley.

LiamT4
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 22:43
I use the air con more than I used to as I was told if you don't use it you lose. The mileage is 118 000 so I would think it wont get much better on the mileage front and I run the tyres at 34psi all round. Who do I use for an remap and any idea on price? Im based in Burnley.

Should be well run in by now then lol
As long as you use the a/c once or twice a week for about 10mins, you should be fine. Its when you don't use it for ages that the seals dry out so the gas escapes. No need for it to be on all the time though.

Can't help with the remap, not really got any experience with them on diesels. I'm sure someone will be able to help though.

M-R-P
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 23:04
Have you pulled the negative off the battery for a few hours? this resets the ecu and makes the car much more efficient from the off. Then, for the next 500 miles, it's up to you - fast or frugal...
There's only ever one answer when I do this to mine... :)

Ians
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 23:37
Never heard of this one does it do anything else as im always a bit worried messing with batteries on modern cars lol but I do believe you know your stuff could you tell me a bit more.

M-R-P
Tuesday 7th August 2012, 23:46
Err, All I know is that pulling the battery blanks the ecu's memory. Everything it's learned about the driving style it's been subjected to will be lost and it reverts to a base map. as you drive it, it learns what you're demands are (sudden acceloration or granny driving etc) and adjusts fueling and timing to suit.
The later P3 stuff may be different but with mine, I pull the battery before I go on a long drive and it saves me a fiver ;)
Or I can pull it and drive like a nutter for a few weeks and the car becomes really aggressive and uses loads of fuel :o
You're clearly not the 1st owner, perhaps the previous owner was a bit "lively" on the go pedal?

foammanmark
Wednesday 8th August 2012, 17:58

I'd ask Adam at Readview Volvo in Huncoat about the map. He sorts my T5's out through HLM and sends the ECU down to them so you don't have to go yourself. Not sure about if he could help with the diesel though. If you want his number, let me know. Are you a Claret by the way?

foammanmark
Wednesday 8th August 2012, 18:04
HLM have diesel mapping listed on their website, so Adam should be your man on this, unless you fancy a trip down there yourself.

Germarchip
Wednesday 8th August 2012, 20:08
I do about 3000mls per month & if i keep below 70 & drive like a granny I can just squeeze it to 40 mpg (she is auto)

Ians
Wednesday 8th August 2012, 21:01
I'd ask Adam at Readview Volvo in Huncoat about the map. He sorts my T5's out through HLM and sends the ECU down to them so you don't have to go yourself. Not sure about if he could help with the diesel though. If you want his number, let me know. Are you a Claret by the way?

I deal with Adam at readview all the time I think he is a top bloke. I like to see Burnley do well but wouldn't call myself a fan lol

foammanmark
Wednesday 8th August 2012, 21:13
Nice one- I'll no doubt see you there at some stage as my 3 Volvos all go to him. I'd suggest asking him about the HLM map for your car. My T5 ECU was back in about 3 days but he had a spare ECU for my car.

foammanmark
Wednesday 8th August 2012, 21:16
I do about 3000mls per month & if i keep below 70 & drive like a granny I can just squeeze it to 40 mpg (she is auto)

I did similar with my 6 speed manual D5 and got 43.8mpg after not resetting the OBC for 6 months. Sold that car and now enjoy mid to high 20's from my T5's and R. I do 2-2,500/month in them.

Blackdog
Thursday 9th August 2012, 00:04
I run a 60 plate D5 V70 geartronic. OBC is showing 43.4.
That's based on mixed driving and a 30 mile run into Cambridge City centre every day.
Oh and its been polestar remapped.

foammanmark
Thursday 9th August 2012, 18:41
That's based on mixed driving and a 30 mile run into Cambridge City centre every day.

That sounds pretty good to me. Mine was just a 163 6 speed manual to give me the 43.8mpg.

foammanmark
Thursday 9th August 2012, 18:44
I deal with Adam at readview all the time I think he is a top bloke. I like to see Burnley do well but wouldn't call myself a fan lol

Sorry, I asked about you being a Claret cos my lad and me are. Just managed to get season tickets again but it's only the second season that I've bought them. You will see that I'm from Great Harwood, which is nowhere near Blackburn! Being born there is bad enough, so I don't like my address being Great Harwood, Blackburn.

jimka
Thursday 9th August 2012, 19:03
Polestar remap and Shell diesel ulitmate have given me an increase of 3mpg from 35mpg (based on tank to tank fills) on my commute.

Mine is a 08 C70 D5 geartronic. The ultimate makes a big difference to engine noise reducing engine chatter esp on start up. I also threw in a tank fuel of BG244 which was noticeable and well recommended.

Driving like a baby and long trips 40-46mpg - but where's the fun in that...?

Blackdog
Thursday 9th August 2012, 19:43
TBH the 43.6 from the OBC aint that far off on the tanks eithr.

Looking at 625+ from this tank and that includes playing when I can.

I find if the mpg starts to drop then a motorway cruise to do a cat regen helps.

Blackdog
Friday 10th August 2012, 08:51
Filled up this morning.

Last two tanks 126L in total
1169 miles

42.12 mpg

Ians
Saturday 11th August 2012, 02:23
No offence taken hope you have a good season if that's your blue r I'm sure I have seen you about

Sorry, I asked about you being a Claret cos my lad and me are. Just managed to get season tickets again but it's only the second season that I've bought them. You will see that I'm from Great Harwood, which is nowhere near Blackburn! Being born there is bad enough, so I don't like my address being Great Harwood, Blackburn.

JamesT5
Sunday 12th August 2012, 19:00
Thanks in advance

Get out and push. Ok, sorry that wasn't very helpful was it. :D I imagine as the P3 is a much bigger car, getting a higher MPG could be very difficult.

Germarchip
Monday 13th August 2012, 08:56

Would a re map make a big difference to improve mpg?

Ians
Wednesday 19th September 2012, 11:55
just thought i would try to get a conclusion from this post as anybody who as gone the polestar route or had there ecu remapped found it improved mpg significantly. Or as anybody taken the dpf off at these specailist places. I have tried all what as been suggested in the posts including taking battery terminal off but still only get 38-39 Help please.

T5R+
Wednesday 19th September 2012, 17:53
Ians - sorry the Phase 3 V70 D5 2007 thro 2009 in EuIV format with either the 2.4D or D5 engine is never going to give you the economy you seek through driving style alone.

Sceptical about ECU enhancement for this particular model with respect to improved economy.

The latest V70 D5 (both the 205 and 215) is supposed to be EuV/VI compliant and is much more fuel efficient in part I suspect to the dual turbo set-up. Also believe that Volvo knew the early P3's liked a drink which was putting buyers off and worked hard to make the latest cars more efficient.

I managed to get to 48MPG regularly in a P3 V70 D5 (185bhp) 6-speed manual crusing at 60mph but struggled to break 50MPG
A P2 V70 D5 Manual EuIV regularly saw 52-55MPG.
A gently driven V70 P2 EuIII Manual will see 67MPG (clears a 1000miles to the tankful) if you are patient.

Will be interesting to see if anyone has removed DPFs (MOT Time?) or swapped out injectors or ???

Hoppsym
Sunday 23rd September 2012, 08:22
I've recently purchased a 07 s60 d5 and round the doors mines reading 38.9 doing normal driving (not driving like a granny ) and getting about 220/250 on £40 of fuel, don't know what it's like on a run as not really been anywhere far yet, when the wife drives it it reads 34/36 ad she has a constant lead foot haha, I also find it has a different engine tone to my previous 05 s60 d5 does anyone know why?, my old 05 d5 was the best thing Ive ever had on economy especially after coming from a 11mpg 4.4 v8 range rover what used to use £150 a week for the school run and around town. I'm off to my sons football match which is a 17 mile round trip 8 miles will be motorway so will see what it reads at a steady speed.

kez694
Sunday 23rd September 2012, 18:07
i hope he wins football lol

Hoppsym
Sunday 30th September 2012, 19:07
Well didn't end up using my car but just been on a little run 25 miles on motorway was sitting between 80/90 average speed was 82 mph mpg was 51.2