PDA

View Full Version : Whats this Filter for....

Col44
Sunday 25th September 2005, 12:11
.....big chap front left hand side,looking front on ,just behind bumper low down?

Rufe
Sunday 25th September 2005, 12:28
does it look like this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/rufe_v6/T5carbonfilter.jpg

if so, its the carbon filter mate.

Col44
Sunday 25th September 2005, 12:35
No its narrower ,its like a diesel fuel filter on an old transit. :)

Rufe
Sunday 25th September 2005, 12:43
dont know what a transit filter looks like lol, but is it more square than that one, instead of cylindrical?

Rufe
Sunday 25th September 2005, 12:48
*keeps trying* lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/rufe_v6/T5carbonfilter2.jpg

like this one then?

(still a carbon filter)

Col44
Sunday 25th September 2005, 12:51
Its the size width and lenght of two coffee(or tea) mugs on top of each other!

Rufe
Sunday 25th September 2005, 12:52
hmm, you got me thinking now? lol

only other thing i can think of is the crank breather (oil trap)

this?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/rufe_v6/T5breather.jpg

t5owner
Sunday 25th September 2005, 13:09
Left as in drivers side as your looking at it i:e OFF SIDE or left as in the left of the car i:e NEAR SIDE or commonly known as the passenger side

the only thing that should be hanging that low at the front is as mentioned b4 its the evap or carbon canister sits on a bracket just slightly away from the air dam and fluid cooling pipes (not radiator) i think their turbo oil cooler related

Cheers

stuart

t5owner
Sunday 25th September 2005, 13:15
Its the size width and lenght of two coffee(or tea) mugs on top of each other!

Deffo sounds like the carbon filter however have you got any wires or pipes coming out

Possibly it could be part of a third party alarm immobiliser installation i:e could be an additional siren

Has the car got additional alarms fitted or just the standard volvo stuff

Is the car explod as it could be somthing they forgot to remove when it was decomed from the fleet i:e power supply for strobes or air horns

Mmmmm puzzled as well just looked under my car and there is nothing on the off side that hangs that low just behind the bumper

Any chance of posting a couple of pics keep em below 97 kb so nothing hi res

Cheers

stuart

Col44
Sunday 25th September 2005, 14:18
Cheers Guys,i'll get a photo up later.

More pressing problem just arose,rear n/s caliper is seizing up. Took the family out for 1st wee shot 2 miles later squeeling started gets out the disc is roasting. Got it home ,the caliper frees off with a tap or two with a hammer then it get really hard again to turn disc once pedal 's pressed again.
I'm away to do a search on here :jaw:

Col44
Sunday 25th September 2005, 20:13
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/livicol/25-09-05_1350.jpg

LeeT5
Sunday 25th September 2005, 20:46
.....big chap front left hand side,looking front on ,just behind bumper low down?

That is the carbon canister m8 for the exhaust gas recirculation system. :anmflower

Col44
Sunday 25th September 2005, 21:10
Cheers Lee , is it a servicable item, it looks a bit worse for ware?

audimadmike
Sunday 25th September 2005, 21:19
If thats on the drivers side it is (and certainly looks like..) the air con filter drier..it is tatty because it can freeze up and often is covered in condensation thats why its rusty.
Don't try to remove!
Just to be certain, has it got two firm rubber pipes connected to the top with a large nut?
If you run the air con you should notice a change in temperature on the filter.b

Mike

Vikingxl
Sunday 25th September 2005, 23:08
I agree with audimadmike looks very much like the drier unit it should freeze up pretty quick with the air con on.

LeeT5
Sunday 25th September 2005, 23:45
If thats on the drivers side it is (and certainly looks like..) the air con filter drier..it is tatty because it can freeze up and often is covered in condensation thats why its rusty.

Mike

:troutslap OK maybe i was wrong (difficult to work out from piccy), but the easiest way to know is give it a tap! If it sounds like its full of granules then it is Carbon canister. Do not replace this..... as the saying goes..'IF IT AINT BROKE..DONT FIX IT'. Else trying to remove it could do damage. I have never heard of them being replaced anyway....consult main agent if not sure. Advice is free after all :)

t5owner
Monday 5th December 2005, 14:50
Left of car as in looking from the front i:e off side or drivers side

Having recently seen one of these off a car i can confirm it is the air con gas bottle / condensing unit

Cheers

stuart

Wobbly Dave
Monday 5th December 2005, 15:29
Cheers Guys,i'll get a photo up later.

More pressing problem just arose,rear n/s caliper is seizing up. Took the family out for 1st wee shot 2 miles later squeeling started gets out the disc is roasting. Got it home ,the caliper frees off with a tap or two with a hammer then it get really hard again to turn disc once pedal 's pressed again.
I'm away to do a search on here :jaw:I have 2 rear calipers going as salvage?

Dunno if this is still relevant given the age of the thread

Col44
Tuesday 13th December 2005, 09:50
Thanks Dave,but yer right...all sorted :anmflower