PDA

View Full Version : Arrrghh! $%&£+*"!ing locking wheel bolts! Key knackered!

Liddo
Wednesday 1st August 2012, 19:53
Hi All,

After stupidly letting Pemberton Tyres in Wigan use an air hammer on my wheels after having my wheels balanced, they
have overtightened my lockers, and now ive screwed my key. The lockers are the ones with the spinny coller, so i cant use
the old "whack on a 18mm socket" routine. I havent got my "Key" number in my manauls either, so, what are my options???

Ive seen a kit from Dynomec that looks brilliant, but i believe its £125!

I believe dealers can get hold of spares, but it takes 3 weeks and im meant to be getting tyres fitted this weekend :(

Any ideas?? Anyone local who wants to earn £30 to get them off ;)

M-R-P
Wednesday 1st August 2012, 20:02
3/4“ socket wrapped in tape mate, make sure theres so much tape that it wont go in the hole in the wheel without a hammer. When u hammer it on, the tape keeps it straight and stops the socket bouncing. 3 or 4 good hits with a big, 32oz ball pein hammer (not a lump hammer-youll miss and dent the wheel) and youll get the bolt off with with a long bar.
don't worry about the anti-theft ring, the socket will win.

i posted a thread with pics a while back. ill try finding it...

Liddo
Wednesday 1st August 2012, 21:13
Cheers Martin, what size did you use??? Was it the LONNNNNG socket aswell??? What does 3/4 equate to?? Im s**t at imperial and stuff, im still in old money :) Is it 18 or 19mm????

M-R-P
Wednesday 1st August 2012, 21:18
Sorry bud, it was 7/8" about 24mm but 24mm didn't work - it must be imperial, standard length (you can get the socket from screwfix, I'd lend you mine but I destroyed it getting 4 locking bolts off lol)

What wheels have you got, you may need the longer socket if you have pegs or the like.

shepbomb
Wednesday 1st August 2012, 21:23
these guys are supposed to be brilliant, I had them recommended to me earlier this year when it looked like the ATS had screwed me, but luckily the AA were able to help in my case

https://sites.google.com/site/lockingwheelnutsremoved/

shepbomb
Wednesday 1st August 2012, 21:25
and these seem to have good write ups from halfords

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_19 6491_langId_-1_categoryId_255216

M-R-P
Wednesday 1st August 2012, 21:34
and these seem to have good write ups from halfords

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_19 6491_langId_-1_categoryId_255216

I don't know about the guys recommended to you but I do know these kits don't touch the P2 (M14) lock bolts, the anti-theft ring kills them every time :(
I took mine to 3 places that said they could get the bolts out... 2 said they actually couldn't, the third was gonna weld a nut to the bolt... you seen how deep the bolt goes in?
"I aint lettin "Mickey" take a Murex torch to my ameltheas" I thought!

Honestly, it took 20 minutes to get my bolts off, and most of that was spent wrapping the socket with tape for each bolt.

Harvey
Wednesday 1st August 2012, 21:46
Hi I have seen a tyre fitter change a tyre on the car as he could not get the bolts off the rim looked hard work to do but the tyre was damaged.

Liddo
Thursday 2nd August 2012, 08:08
Sorry bud, it was 7/8" about 24mm but 24mm didn't work - it must be imperial, standard length (you can get the socket from screwfix, I'd lend you mine but I destroyed it getting 4 locking bolts off lol)

What wheels have you got, you may need the longer socket if you have pegs or the like.

Hiya Martin, Ive got Thors, and ive got the lockers with the ring :( Gonna speak to my local mechanic for, if he cant do it im gonna try your idea.

Thanks again for all the replies guys ;)

M-R-P
Thursday 2nd August 2012, 08:31
Mine were also the ones with the ring mate. That ring defeats the removal kit most of the time but the socket always wins, trust me ;)

If you were closer, I'd meet you somewhere and sort it for ya bud. :(

Jimmie
Thursday 2nd August 2012, 09:25
Your dealer should get a removal kit up in one day for all types of lockers that volvo use .
It will only take them a few minutes to get your wheels off with no damage to wheel or locker and you should only pay for the hire of the kit.
I know this through personal experience.

kim
Thursday 2nd August 2012, 09:51

You Know I tried putty metal, epoxy resin and a basic type araldite inside my key then whacked on ...heated ..plus gassed.. On the two I got off I tried to chisel of the spinning ring Collier held in my vice..but these are hardened, and guess what? to stop people like me doing just that.
With my wheels, even if I had managed to stop the collars fom spinning with the Superglue's there was still not enough room to knock over a socket.
Volvo man said have loads of them come in (Phil whittaker) and they are rubbish and can only weld them off............So I guess it comes down too if you have the room around the stud to bang over a socket >>>pictures of mine good luck Kim

Not too much mess most of that is me with drill brush removing old araldite ect ready for weld ..should have done that in the first place

New locking nuts (now we would be talking tools and sockets if ever lost key) :smile: and they came next day!!!!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230826220480?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

M-R-P
Thursday 2nd August 2012, 10:04
Not a bad job there - not too much damage to the wheels.

Hammering a socket over the bolt pushes the ring backward and then compresses the front edge, effectively locking it to the bolt via interference. No glue or metal putty would hold anywhere near the kind of force required to remove a lock bolt.

However, you do need to hit the socket HARD and if you miss, you'll cause more damage than the weld spatter showed in the above pics. (I should know lol)

I thought I had more pictures than this but here's one of the first bolt coming off...

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/Snapbucket/04320606-orig.jpg

Lots of tape keeping the socket straight and stopping it bouncing during the hammering.

(I didn't have the bar attached while hammering :))

Liddo
Thursday 2nd August 2012, 14:27
Well, thanks for the replies guys, and im sure it'll be usefull info for the next poor sod, BUT!

I rang the tyre place that overtightened the lockers, and they said "call down" so i did. They spent WELL over an hour trying to
get the bolts off, and in then end had to weld other bolts to them to get them off! My wheels are unmarked and are now totally
free of &^£$$ing locking wheel bolts, and i now have 4 shiney new "standard" bolts in their place :D

Thanks again for all the input and info

M-R-P
Thursday 2nd August 2012, 14:42
A happy ending - nice ;)

Harvey
Thursday 2nd August 2012, 18:05
[QUOTE=Liddo;528485]Well, thanks for the replies guys, and im sure it'll be usefull info for the next poor sod, BUT!

I rang the tyre place that overtightened the lockers, and they said "call down" so i did. They spent WELL over an hour trying to
get the bolts off, and in then end had to weld other bolts to them to get them off! My wheels are unmarked and are now totally
free of &^£$$ing locking wheel bolts, and i now have 4 shiney new "standard" bolts in their place :D

Just to ask when they welded the. Nuts onto the locking nut where did they put the earth for the welder ?.
hope they put it on the brake disc as I have seen wheel bearings damaged when people have put the earth clamp onto the chassis, then the welding current Puts small arc marks on the bearing race and rollers as well when the welder fires up?

Liddo
Friday 3rd August 2012, 09:35
Just to ask when they welded the nuts onto the locking nut where did they put the earth for the welder ?.
hope they put it on the brake disc as I have seen wheel bearings damaged when people have put the earth clamp onto the chassis, then the welding current Puts small arc marks on the bearing race and rollers as well when the welder fires up?

Harvey, i dont know mate is the answer to that, as i was in the waiting room praying they'd get them off! So far, the only strange whirring noise is
coming from the crappy Fulrun Tyres on the back, which i getting replaced tomorrow :)

Will let you know if my bearings fail though ;)