PDA

View Full Version : Clutch problem - model specific advice please...

Wally Dog
Thursday 26th July 2012, 23:42
Hi chaps,

I have just had a clutch for an 850R put in to my manual 1996 855 T5. I have been advised that the clutches are identical as flywheels and gearboxes are all the same for the 850 models, so no differences in thichness or distance from flywheel, etc.

Problem is, I can't seem to select gear properly, especially reverse. It seems like the clutch doesn't fully release. What do people think would be most plausable -

A) the clutch has not been fitted correctly (wrong way round?)
B) the hydraulics are having a 'mare dealing with a new clutch - master and or slave cylinder, any known problems with model?
C) some sort of allignment issue?
D) something else even more devastatingly expensive that I haven't even contemplated yet?

Anyone had similar problems fitting an 850R clutch to a T5?

Any advice, as always, will be most gratefully received.

t5 pete
Thursday 26th July 2012, 23:48
First off have they tryed bleeding the system

Wally Dog
Thursday 26th July 2012, 23:51
Yes - pressure blead and no change.

oblark
Friday 27th July 2012, 08:37
I`m running a 850R clutch with a V70 internal slave and have had no problems.

Only the forward gears have syncro`s so reverse can sometimes be difficult to engage.

What are the linkage rod bearings like ? if worn this can cause problems engaging gears

Wally Dog
Friday 27th July 2012, 09:44
Strangely enough, this morning, I decided to put the car in reverse before starting the engine - the same problem was there getting it into reverse gear with the engine off. Does this change things or give any further clues?

960kg
Friday 27th July 2012, 09:53
If it`s been done at at indy garage, they probably haven`t done this procedure.

oblark
Friday 27th July 2012, 09:57
Strangely enough, this morning, I decided to put the car in reverse before starting the engine - the same problem was there getting it into reverse gear with the engine off. Does this change things or give any further clues?

If you have problems putting the car in reverse with the engine off then that pionts towards the linkage/linkage bushes.

Wally Dog
Friday 27th July 2012, 10:31
960KG - Good skills chappie; useful stuff but I can't click on the green bit to get the description up. Don't suppose you can copy and paste the full description? Cheers.

Oblark - cheers Rob, sounds quite likely that this could be the case. If so, I'll probably end up getting that wooden gear knob from Steve that is stilll attached to the mechanism and swap the whole lot over.
What's the difference between the V70 slave and the 850 slave - does the V70 one have a greater throw, thus lifting the clutch further off the plate??

oblark
Friday 27th July 2012, 10:37
The 850 is a external slave and the V70 is a internal slave.
The reason for the internal slave is to make the pedal lighter.
I reused my internal slave because putting it back to external slave would have ment changing the gearbox.

Steve wants £100 for the gear knob that`s if he doesn`t do a manual coversion on his 854 T5R

Wally Dog
Friday 27th July 2012, 13:52
I've been trying to find a diagram of the gear change linkage and I'm stumped!

What does the linkage consist of?
To put back to 'as new' condition, what bits do I need to replace?
How easy is this replacement/rennovation?

Many thanks

t5 pete
Friday 27th July 2012, 13:57
If it all worked fine before its pointless changing the linkage as obviously some this has gone wrong since the work was carried out make sure the linkage is connected to the brackets correctly also I don't know if it can be done as never tryed it but have a look to see if there the wrong way round I.e in the wrong holder if all of that us fine I would the concentrate of the clutch for and how its pivating

Wally Dog
Friday 27th July 2012, 14:30
Don't suppose anyone has a diagram to show the correct positioning of the linkage connections???

oblark
Friday 27th July 2012, 15:47
How does the clutch feel ? eg does it feel the same as before or is it stiffer ?

Can you get someone to pump the clutch pedal so you can watch the slave arm moving ?

Wally Dog
Friday 27th July 2012, 16:55
Feels much lighter than before the works started and no, not yet - got a full weekend planned ahead!!

oblark
Friday 27th July 2012, 17:07
Feels much lighter than before the works started and no, not yet - got a full weekend planned ahead!!

If you want we could meet up either on Monday or Thrusday evening and I`ll have a look at the clutch/linkage :smile:

Wally Dog
Friday 27th July 2012, 17:21
Mate, that would be blinding as I really don't know where to start and if something looks out of place or not!

Problem is, I'm all booked up until I get married now - Monday night with a dance instructor to sort out the first dance, Tuesday my mates are all taking me out, Wednesday is dinner with the 'rents, Thursday I'm out for a couple of jars with my mate who lives in Turkey and is back for the wedding, Friday I've got another mate from Edinburgh staying and Saturday is the beginning of the rest of my life!!

The problem is driveable, I just hope I don't do any permanent damage before I can get it looked at! Again, a most generous offer but I sadly have to decline.

nobananas
Friday 27th July 2012, 19:15
Sounds to me if it still isn't bled through properly. Clutch slaves can be an absolute nightmare to bleed. It's just taken me half a day to get a decent pedal on a BMW 320d with an external slave, you can't always get them to bleed by pedal pumping like you do with brakes, plus the fact that the clutch takes it's fluid from the very top of the brake master cylinder so it's very easy to run the top part out of fluid and pump air into the system. I ended up fitting a coolant pressure tester to the reservoir and pumping a few psi into it then bleeding it through. Even then it took a good few goes to get a pedal. The pedal shouldn't be over light, you need to get someone to look at the slave push-rod whilst you operate the clutch.

960kg
Friday 27th July 2012, 19:21
960KG - Good skills chappie; useful stuff but I can't click on the green bit to get the description up. Don't suppose you can copy and paste the full description? Cheers.

I hope you solve the problem without resorting to this. But this is the method used by Volvo mechanics when replacing clutches. It is the same with the X40 series with manual boxes, quite a common problem

I hope this helps?

nobananas
Friday 27th July 2012, 20:13
Just a thought, can you actually engage forward gears with the engine off ?

volvo850R
Sunday 29th July 2012, 15:15
Is your brake fluid resevoir filled upto the max mark? I found out the clutch runs off the top 1/4 of the resevoir when i couldnt engage mny clutch. My tank was next to empty and it took some serious pumping to get the clutch to work again. Could be the fluid needs changing if you havent done it already also.

t5 pete
Monday 30th July 2012, 10:30
Any news from over the weekend

Wally Dog
Wednesday 1st August 2012, 17:07
Right - she's still a pig to get into reverse but is driving more smoothly now, after a few hundred miles. It was pressure blead, etc, and the fluid is fine in the reservoir, so dunno what's the fekkkkkkin problem with it - must be female!

I have run out of time now as I'm getting married on Saturday, so it will be left as it is until I get back from my honeymoon - then I'm going to change the linkage(s), slave and master cylinders (in that order, cheapest first!!).

Thanks peeps - I'll keep you posted once work re-commences!