PDA

View Full Version : 850 - X70 <2000 owners Caution using your car jack

Aussie T5
Thursday 26th July 2012, 11:21
Hi All

Popped the jack out today to change out a wheel in the garage, happen to notice a nasty cracking noise as the the jack began to take the weight of the car, not a big fan of these jacks so don't have a lot of trust in them.
As such, as these vehicles age things deteriorate, so be careful when using these aging items around your car.

Check out the pics I think self explanatory, decided I'd throw this one away just in case.

Have a spare from an older 850 which appears to be in slightly better condition.

Never had much use of the jack over the years, so bit surprised to see it crack, must be from lack of use. :talktohan

16177 < Part #, 16178 < Bottom view, 16179 < Top View.

Regards

Rob.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 29th July 2012, 00:37
I have a spare one if you want it?

Jimmie
Sunday 29th July 2012, 10:15
That's the best thing you could have done by throwing it away.
Why do manufactures still supply this type of jack?Get a small trolley or screw type jack as they are much safer in use.

p fandango
Sunday 29th July 2012, 10:22
That's the best thing you could have done by throwing it away.
Why do manufactures still supply this type of jack?Get a small trolley or screw type jack as they are much safer in use.
i was very impressed with the factory jack that came with the BMW E36, actually slots into holes in the sill & an all metal construction (just a shame about the rest of the car lol)

Rhys
Sunday 29th July 2012, 10:48
i was very impressed with the factory jack that came with the BMW E36, actually slots into holes in the sill & an all metal construction (just a shame about the rest of the car lol)
I found that with my old E36, also the chassis underneath had inserts on the jacking points so it wasn't metal on metal.
Think I only used the Volvo jack once as it lifts the whole side of the car up and I wasn't sure about it's solidity (jacking point is central for these jacks), the rest of the time I have a proper trolly jack.