PDA

View Full Version : New lease of life for 855 t5

merc85
Wednesday 25th July 2012, 21:36
Well, all started with a compression test Athough i didnt carry it out 100% accurate she is well down across all cyclinder's.

So ive decided to fit the engine out of my Auto as i know this was a Pukka lump with only 125k instead of 160k.
Took the head off and found she had the start of a external Head Gasket leak water loss, all the bores are Good not egg shaped and no scoring.

Then decided to start abit of a clean up with some polishing lol.
Porting and skim to follow shortly. here are some pic's.

t5 pete
Wednesday 25th July 2012, 21:52
Looking good keep up the good work and pleanty of pics please

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 26th July 2012, 00:05
You doing the porting yourself buddy or getting someone to do it?

I love a good old engine stripdown :)

M-R-P
Thursday 26th July 2012, 00:16
Jeez Gav, I like gettin my hands dirty but that's outa my league (mainly 'cos I can't take the car off the road for more than a day without gettin slaughtered by the missus lol)

merc85
Saturday 28th July 2012, 00:39
Well all the valves are out so decided to do a little porting,

The port is a little larger and smoother, needing dremill really which is going tobe the next step. more pic's to follow.

theflyingbrick
Saturday 28th July 2012, 01:01
looking good matey :D

Kingsford G
Saturday 28th July 2012, 02:50
I`m proud of u Gav for caring and not giving up on her.Expecting a good bhp once its done and an exiting test drive from u.Thats what I call a true volvo lover.Well done mate.

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 28th July 2012, 09:15
Looking good.. Are you going to cut the valves?

V70 Graham
Saturday 28th July 2012, 10:52
Well done for taking on the job Gav, keep us updated.

oblark
Saturday 28th July 2012, 14:37
Will porting improve the BHP ? Making the port big will help increase the BHP

On some heads the roughness of the ports helps the air fuel mix, so If the port is polished this effects the air/fuel mixing.
I had back in the late 80`s a 2.0 ltr pinto engine bored out to 2.2ltr and built race spec, the head was not ported as this lowered the engines BHP.

stribo
Saturday 28th July 2012, 14:49

On some heads the roughness of the ports helps the air fuel mix, so If the port is polished this effects the air/fuel mixing.
I had back in the late 80`s a 2.0 ltr pinto engine bored out to 2.2ltr and built race spec, the head was not ported as this lowered the engines BHP.

I don't think it'll be so much of an issue in a fuel injected car, as the spray is finer and under higher pressure than a carb fed car.

merc85
Saturday 28th July 2012, 20:52

You are correct, Thats why i'm only cleaning the head area around the valves NOT taking any metal away.
If you take metal away you not only make it to smooth but also lower the compression of the engine.

BUT if you port and polish upto the valve seat from the inlet and exhaust ports it increases flow. Care also should be taken to blend the ports/match to the inlet and exhaust manifolds for optamin flow.

Just done another few hours got the exhaust ports clean and smooth.

merc85
Saturday 28th July 2012, 20:55
A few upto date pic's.

My finger's are hurting lol all done by hand as still havent a drimmel

merc85
Saturday 28th July 2012, 21:01
Looking good.. Are you going to cut the valves?

Yes of course as the valve seats will have been disturbed in the process, I was very suprised none of the valves were at all pitted, mileage of the engine is 125k, no lip on the bores either :)