PDA

View Full Version : Best product for a wet look on a black car??? What do dealers use???

Liddo
Monday 23rd July 2012, 19:40
My girlfriend bought (with the help of me) a lovely shiney black Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport. When we where looking
over the car, it looked immaculate, hardly a mark on it. Now, after a few washes (by me) all the fine little white
scratches and marks are showing up!

My question is, what the HELL do these dealers use to make the scratches blend in???

Tonight, i used the old two bucket method, dried and then used super resin polish and some extra gloss protection. It looks
well better now, but i can still see some marks here and there.

Ive just ordered some Poorboys Black Hole, so im hoping that helps, but what else can give that wet look???

There must be some "quick" spray on wet look, hides fines scratches sprays on the market????

volvokid
Monday 23rd July 2012, 19:56
You need to get it corrected, the best wet loom products for a black car is the blackfire range.
Dealers love a bit of color tcut

bubba_1986
Monday 23rd July 2012, 19:57
Like you say mate. It was prob some sort of temp sealant with fillers added in. Get it detailed correctly and stick to 2 bucket method and all will be well. Ask Wobbly Dave for advice if needed. I have his porter cable just now and when the " Scottish weather " approves and i have three days spare ill sort my black c70 out lol

Liddo
Monday 23rd July 2012, 21:14
Cheers chaps, I've got my Maguires detailing stuff, I didn't think clay baring would
get rid of the scratches? Will look out for the blackfire stuff ;)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 23rd July 2012, 21:25
claybar doesnt. Claybar is there to remove the bonded inorganic contaminents - those that ordinary washing don't remove. Wash >> dry>> clay. Claying is important because when you do get to the paint correction stage - removing the scratches/swirls - you don't want to be pushing the dirt back in.

I also use tardis to help - this dissolve some of the larger tar spots & inorganics. Once you've done with the clay - the paintwork should feel perfectly smooth.

Then begins the real work.

http://www.bigredvolvos.co.uk/galleries/july_2006_CYC.htm - its old but still valid.

LeeT5
Tuesday 24th July 2012, 06:42
I do like the bog brush on a drill!! Very good. I might mention that to my neighbour with his VRS alloys. he hates cleaning them.

Liddo
Tuesday 24th July 2012, 08:22
Cheers Dave. The bodywork is VERY clean to the touch, it doesnt need claying or any more hard work, i just wanted a decent detailer that leaves a wet look, this is to hide the fine scratches. Whatever the valeter used before we bought it, i want :)

Wally Dog
Tuesday 24th July 2012, 09:30
I use Zymol - get it cheap from Halfords and you really do have to do one pannel at a time, rather than slap it on all over then buff it off. Gives a brilliant deep shine that I haven't been able to beat - but I've nt tried them all!!

I was really impressed with Maguiars quick wax stuff - good long-lasting shine for just a hot water additive thingy.

lillico
Tuesday 24th July 2012, 18:23
Im not sure if this helps you or not..

I was quizzing the valeters at the main dealers I was working at the other day as to what's best.

They do this,

1- steam clean to remove all old was waxes and dirt
2-dry with leather
3 use a 3m cutting compound to remove any light scratches if bad with a mop
4 use 2 part diamond brite polish system
5 the use a auto smart carnauba gold wax one panel ata time using a damp apllicator clothe

He reckons on dark colours it will be like glass when done.
Iv ordered all of the above and going to try it this week end

All the best

M-R-P
Tuesday 24th July 2012, 18:33
I use Zymol - get it cheap from Halfords and you really do have to do one pannel at a time, rather than slap it on all over then buff it off. Gives a brilliant deep shine that I haven't been able to beat - but I've nt tried them all!!

I was really impressed with Maguiars quick wax stuff - good long-lasting shine for just a hot water additive thingy.
I use the Zymol cleaner wax after the clay session, before the waxes etc, it's got bananas and almonds and stuff like that in it. Smells great but tastes like kr@p!

Im not sure if this helps you or not..

I was quizzing the valeters at the main dealers I was working at the other day as to what's best.

They do this,

1- steam clean to remove all old was waxes and dirt
2-dry with leather
3 use a 3m cutting compound to remove any light scratches if bad with a mop
4 use 2 part diamond brite polish system
5 the use a auto smart carnauba gold wax one panel ata time using a damp apllicator clothe

He reckons on dark colours it will be like glass when done.
Iv ordered all of the above and going to try it this week end

All the best

Let us know how you get on with that mate ;)

jimka
Tuesday 24th July 2012, 19:34
blackfire. no questions.

Wally Dog
Tuesday 24th July 2012, 23:35
Zymol has Carnuba Wax in it and gives a two part shine for a one part price (lol)

paul7278
Wednesday 25th July 2012, 22:59
autoglym hd wax, or poorboys wax!

M-R-P
Thursday 26th July 2012, 00:31
Zymol has Carnuba Wax in it and gives a two part shine for a one part price (lol)

I wasn't too impressed with the shine from the Zymol, that's why I use it as a base, before I get the Autoglym super resin stuff and the gold thingy :)

lillico
Monday 30th July 2012, 18:54
sorry for delay...

right this afternoon i got to work on the detailing..

i did everything as above bar steam clean as new paint.

the carnauba wax from auto smart is easy to apply and buff off providing you dont leave it on too long.

when the sun hits it the metallic looks great.

gave the wheels the same treatemnt.

also fitted my prancing mooses...;

very happy

graemewelch
Tuesday 31st July 2012, 16:06
Looks like you got a nice shine there. Good reflections to

JamesT5
Sunday 5th August 2012, 19:39
Best thing for a wet look is water. Other than that, Carnauba was or AutoGlym Super resin polish or one of their deep shine waxes.

Harvey
Sunday 5th August 2012, 20:00
I did try poorboys glaze very nice finish very easy to use.not a problem when it's gets on rubber just wipes off.