PDA

View Full Version : Test drove a new V40 today

KPB
Saturday 21st July 2012, 21:18
Hey folks

Its been a while since I posted here as I moved away from Volvo about 12 months ago. Looks like things have changed a bit since I was last here!

I just thought i'd drop in to leave a quick review of the new V40 as I had the chance to drive one this morning on the dealer launch day. Not exactly a performance car I know, but a Volvo all the same so hopefully worth a write up.

Recent changes for me (job) means I'm now in the process of picking a company car and have been holding off until I had the chance to try the new V40 given the mostly glowing reviews it has received. Having run a couple of T5's in the past, performance is important to me, so even with a switch to the dark side of fuel, I was hoping for a go in a D4 with the 332ft lbs and low tax of 114 co/kg per imperial fart or whatever the measure is.

Unfortunately given that even a large volume dealer like Sturgess in Leicester has only been allocated 15 for the remainder of 2012, the 2 demos they have in are high spec, low emission D2s and they look to be only able to influence colour and trim until 2013, rather than engine choice.

However, I'm on reasonable terms with them so I got one of the first drives this morning in a SE-model with a few trinkets.

First impressions of the exterior - pretty striking design, especially the front end - must admit that as you work backwards the profile looks pretty generic astra/focus/Kia modern style swooping rooflike etc. The rear is distinctive, but the boot is disappointingly small. Even with the folding base out of the way, its poor. its also definitely a colour-sensitive shape. The bronze one I drove looked quite drab, the eggshell blue one alongside looked far more distinctive and brought out some of the more subtle design features.

On to the interior - superb high quality materials. I couldnt see any compromises and the design and ergonomics are spot on. Seating, as you'd expect, is very adjustable although the bases could do with an extra inch or two depth for under-knee support to be perfect for my liking. The TFT dash is novel, but to be honest the 3 themes (eco, performance and elegance) soon lose their novelty, but the display itself is clear and I think will soon be adopted by more manufacturers.

I took it on a good 15 miles test drive. I was immediately struck by the weight of the controls, pretty meaty - which I like. Ride quality is superb even on some pretty §§§§ surfaces and noise suppression a little unnatural for the class of car. I didnt really get the chance to chuck it around but having heard a lot about how good the handling was...well...to be honest the weight of the controls make it feel quite a heavy car and it didnt feel particularly darty or alive. The main bugbear with the model perhaps made this feeling of 'mass' worse than it is - the D2 1.6 engine is - how do I put this - pants. I appreciate the motor won't be run in for a handful of miles on the clock, but the car laboured away from a standstill and only when you've got over the inertia and into 3rd gear does a significant right-foot prod actually make it pick up much in the way of speed. Maybe, with a higher output engine, there would be a bigger fun factor but make no mistake - whatever the lump under the bonnet, I think the V40 has been engineered to be luxurious and sensible.

Volvo have made a cracking car given their circumstances and I came away impressed with many aspects, but unfortunately without any sense of having my soul or blood stirred in the slightest. If you were in the market for a focus, astra etc - then the aggressive pricing, standard spec and interior quality of the V40 will blow you away. I suspect downsizing mature Volvo owners will fall over themselves to buy one. But if you're looking for something with a bit of X-factor I think you'll be underwhelmed. Roll on the T5/R-design versions!

So i'm not sure where that leaves me in terms of my choices. I tried some pretty eclectic motors in the last few weeks - from 1 series to Scirocco, to V60 D5 to DS3 (which in my defence is the only zero cost option open to me) and I wont tell you which was the best as I've mislaid my flamesuit!

Anyway, hope this write up adds to the general volvo discussion chaps.

Cheers.

Santa
Saturday 21st July 2012, 21:21
Thanks for the review :-)

I have been invited to take a testdrive which unfortunately I have no time to take :-(