PDA

View Full Version : Correct boost levels?

lance
Sunday 9th January 2005, 16:50
Ive just temporarly fitted a boost gauge to my car as for a while Ive suspecting shes not been running quite as quick as she was a month after I had the rica upgrade.
I gave her lots of right foot in 3rd and 4th and she was quite happily holding aprox 0.9-o.95 bar which equates to 13-13.8 psi although this is better than standard its not 1.2 and 15-17 psi I would like!
Before I take her to VT has anyone any ideas I should concider before as I would like to get her up to scratch for the rolling road for the 6th.
Is this down to normal wear of the 16t at 138000, or may I have a small air leak?

Justin
Sunday 9th January 2005, 18:49
Lance, to get max boost you really should hit 5th and pull hill.

You should be able to hit 1.1 bar which is what the ecu is programmed for, try that, then yes it sounds like you have an air leak if you cannot ;)

lance
Monday 10th January 2005, 01:01
Will try again as soon as I get chance to connect it up. I was flooring it in 3rd and 4th 120 + and she was holding nice 0.9-o.95, what sort of speeds to I need to be in in 5th would it be at lower rpm i.e 2500 to 4000 using the lower mid end power?

lance
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 11:03
Managed to plumb her up again last night and managed to get the vacume hose a bit further up the christmas tree due to heat and becoming more plyable. Didnt get on any big hills to really load 5th but managed a small one , the result was 1 bar with the occasional spike to aprox 1.1 bar and she seems to be regularly holding 0.95-1 bar in other gears what do you guys reckon?

Bracer
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 11:38
Put it this way, to achieve the quoted 304 hp you would need over 1.1 Bar :shifty:

Now you could have a small vac leak but I'm guessing a Stage 0 wouldn't go amiss :wink:

Either that or your blowers just had its day :eek:

lance
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 11:47
Put it this way, to achieve the quoted 304 hp you would need over 1.1 Bar :shifty:

Now you could have a small vac leak but I'm guessing a Stage 0 wouldn't go amiss :wink:

Bracer its a 16t so 310 would be nice had ITG panal filter and new plugs 10k ago and have had 2 oil changes since then! Iam going to give the filter a good shake and try again and have a look for splits in vac hoses etc, I expect shes running about 280 bhp 90% worn really dont want to fork out for a new turbo yet! but I suppose I shouldnt be grumbleing with 138k on the clock.

Bracer
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 11:52
Bracer its a 16t so 310 would be nice had ITG panal filter and new plugs 10k ago and have had 2 oil changes since then! Iam going to give the filter a good shake and try again and have a look for splits in vac hoses etc, I expect shes running about 280 bhp 90% worn really dont want to fork out for a new turbo yet! but I suppose I shouldnt be grumbleing with 138k on the clock.

Sorry yeah you've a S70 :rolleyes:

Yeah so if your just about hitting a bar then 280's about right.

What plugs have you in at the mo ?

Have you noticed a drop in performance ? Thus the reason for fitting the gauge ?

This just proves how valuable boost gauges are :wink:

lance
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 12:06
Sorry yeah you've a S70 :rolleyes: V70

Yeah so if your just about hitting a bar then 280's about right.

What plugs have you in at the mo ?

Have you noticed a drop in performance ? Thus the reason for fitting the gauge ?

This just proves how valuable boost gauges are :wink:

Have Volvo tunning recomended plugs at the moment, wasnt sure if drop in performance or getting used to car specially with slightly bigger wheels.
Have just spoken to Hamish and it could be the cheap £20 boost gauge is not accurate specially as the needle doesnt sit dead centre when engine off and slightly to the left, am going to pop into VT and check on there boost gauge.
If no air leaks I suppose a new turbo bedore the years out :eek:

Bracer
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 12:10
Have Volvo tunning recomended plugs at the moment, wasnt sure if drop in performance or getting used to car specially with slightly bigger wheels.
Have just spoken to Hamish and it could be the cheap £20 boost gauge is not accurate specially as the needle doesnt sit dead centre when engine off and slightly to the left, am going to pop into VT and check on there boost gauge.
If no air leaks I suppose a new turbo bedore the years out :eek:

Ah true could be the Cracker Jack gauge then :eek:

:hidesbehi

lance
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 12:14
Fingers crossed for the cracker jack gauge then :wink:

volvotuning
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 13:31

Bracer, just so that you know, the 16T cars if running correctly on RICA software, run 1.2 bar @ 5500 rpm and 1.1 bar @ 6000 rpm. You'll probably agree that 310 bhp is not a problem!!!!

Adam.

Bracer
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 13:36
Bracer, just so that you know, the 16T cars if running correctly on RICA software, run 1.2 bar @ 5500 rpm and 1.1 bar @ 6000 rpm. You'll probably agree that 310 bhp is not a problem!!!!

Adam.

No No Adam, I wasn't being ferocious, I was just trying to get accross that 1.0 bar or under is way under producing, and that in excess of 1.1 bar is required to get over 300 ehp as we both know :wink:

volvotuning
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 13:40
No No Adam, I wasn't being ferocious, I was just trying to get accross that 1.0 bar or under is way under producing, and that in excess of 1.1 bar is required to get over 300 ehp as we both know :wink:

Ooops! Sorry Bracer, I wasn't intending on the post to sound defensive. I hate the net cos it's easy to misinterpret tone.

Adam.

Bracer
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 13:42
Ooops! Sorry Bracer, I wasn't intending on the post to sound defensive. I hate the net cos it's easy to misinterpret tone.

Adam.

Tis cool mate :wink: Reading back mine sound a bit iffy too :rolleyes:

Poxy net ! Lol !

lance
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 13:53
Adam am I right in remembering back in September when I had Rica was mine running 1.2bar and occasionally 1.3 bar?

volvotuning
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 15:04
Yours was running 1.2 bar, but dropping off a little more than normal at the end.

Adam.

lance
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 15:06
Will bring over shortly to check on your boost gauge if thats Ok , need to know if a turbo will be required before the end of the year.

Bracer
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 15:14
Will bring over shortly to check on your boost gauge if thats Ok , need to know if a turbo will be required before the end of the year.

By the end of the week more like :eek:

:hidesbehi

lance
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 15:20
If I could I would but if shes 90% ok its difficult to justify the cost, but if shes 75% ok I will asap and be skint as usual

Bracer
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 15:22
If I could I would but if shes 90% ok its difficult to justify the cost, but if shes 75% ok I will asap and be skint as usual

Looking into my crystal ball I see a 19T + DP + Re-map on your order book in the very near future Adam :wink:

lance
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 15:58
The Mrs would kill me ! I only managed the new wheels and brakes in the name of safety I was sort of hoping twas going top fail mot on suspension so I could upgarde that too :wink: Fortunatly for my wallet it passed with flying colours just a warning for a cracked number plate!
Would concider 19t if turbo was compleatly knacked how much does it cost again I suspect too much

Bracer
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 16:01
The Mrs would kill me ! I only managed the new wheels and brakes in the name of safety I was sort of hoping twas going top fail mot on suspension so I could upgarde that too :wink: Fortunatly for my wallet it passed with flying colours just a warning for a cracked number plate!
Would concider 19t if turbo was compleatly knacked how much does it cost again I suspect too much

PM Adam I'm sure he's still in the Christmas Sprit :hidesbehi