PDA

View Full Version : x70 engine and gearbox swaps

Hissing Sid
Friday 20th July 2012, 16:00
I was hoping for some extra info that i am struggling to find on my own...

My C70 is only a baby 2.0t with an auto box. But as i was given the car by my brother-in-law and told "pay me for it when you get the money...." Selling and buying another car isnt really an option. Time and spannering ability is not in question or even part of the equation. I know cars and have been mechanicing for many years now but i dont have much volvo experience to draw on.

As my car is a 2001 with ETM i believe this is an ME7 - right or wrong ?

If it is do i need a ME7 T5 engine? or would a older one suffice?

Should i be looking for a 2.3 or a 2.4?

I dont mind a manual or auto but is the T5 auto box different from the 2.0.

Is the loom the same on all turbo auto models?

My thoughts are that i need a 2001ish 2.4 T5 engine, gearbox, wiring loom and ECU. BUT will this give me grief with immobilizer etc or is that handled by a different ecu?

bubba_1986
Friday 20th July 2012, 16:06
You will need to go for the 2.3 t5 engine mate. Your car will run off of the me7 system. With it being an auto, you may have trouble the the ecu's.

Me7 ecu's are NOT swappable due to immobilizer issues. You can " hack " ecu and remove the immobilizer . I currently have another re-maped ecu being "hacked" just now.

I would stick with the 2ltr turbo and get a remap, much easier

Hissing Sid
Friday 20th July 2012, 16:09
yeah but a tune will only give 210bhp engine swap to a stock t5 is about 250?

bubba_1986
Friday 20th July 2012, 16:28
the t5 is 240 bhp mate with 330nm. Unless you have a downer car this is going to cause you major hassle.

Hissing Sid
Tuesday 24th July 2012, 00:41
So bang per buck the t5 lump is a better bet.

I was gonna look out for a donor but i need to be sure of what i need to be getting hold of.. There is no point buying a donor car that aint no use to me.