PDA

View Full Version : Clunky gear engagement

MoleT-5R
Thursday 19th July 2012, 20:54
Misses has just returned home in our 1999 V70R AWD and was worried by the gear engagement being very clunky on take up, as reverse or forward are selected. I went out and had a listen and she is very much right and I was wondering if this was an angle gear issue or an autobox one???? :yikes:

Any ideas will be most gratefully recieved.

thanks. Adrian

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 19th July 2012, 23:23
I know with mine that the cv joints on the end of the propshaft (mainly the front one) do wear and become noisy, I get a sort of clunking/clinking as gears are engaged. I usually take the prop off and regrease the joints as the front one is close to the heat of the engine and dp/exhaust.

Then there was the time when the connecting sleeve finally gave out, but that was a grinding noise.

As for the autobox, I have no idea as I've never had one.

MoleT-5R
Friday 20th July 2012, 21:16
hey folks any other AWD drivers got any ideas what this is......? Please

LiamT4
Friday 20th July 2012, 21:30
Is it just when going from N or P into drive or reverse? My audi did that (clunk going into drive or reverse) and it was the engine mounts.

vaderboyo
Saturday 21st July 2012, 00:54
Mine makes noises but mostly when it changes down, or if Im on and off the gas quickly - say on a roundabout.

Its defo not the auto box...but yet to nail the cause.

Have taken to turning up the stereo.....seems to doi the trick and the knocking noises go lol

Wally Dog
Saturday 21st July 2012, 12:36
Ha ha - that's what I do - squeaking has started to appear from clutch - volume up to compensate!!!!

It's not the top mount by any chance?

vaderboyo
Saturday 21st July 2012, 19:48
checked today and yes it was the top mount - cheers mate nice one