PDA

View Full Version : Volvo Training Centre

Mrsmopp
Friday 23rd September 2005, 18:48
You missed a great day guys!!

Considering we were only expecting about 8 people for lunch we pretty much filled the car park!!! It was great to see everyone (and the food was pretty good too) we had some giggles (Mostly at Wobbly's expense for polling up late and having to eat seriously quickly like his life depended on it LOL) I got picked on (as bloody usual lol) and I learn't that i have abandonment issues (thanks to TDS)

The guys at Volvo's made us VERY welcome, we had a good old nose around and learn't a few things along the way ;) Lovely people and we gave them a bit of a surprise as we weren't what they were expecting at all!!

BIG thanks to my new best friend Viking for my Winnie replacement - she's been on the track already ;)

x

spesh
Friday 23rd September 2005, 18:52
So what did u learn????? TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME!!!!

Mrsmopp
Friday 23rd September 2005, 18:57
That Vadis is no longer in use - VIDA is, they showed us how the whole thing works (very clever too) and other stuff that I have forgotten!! LOL

x

spesh
Friday 23rd September 2005, 19:02
fat load of good you are Moppy, forgoten already, If I asked you 2morrow, fair enough u forgoten but a few hours after u been there, TUT TUT TUT TUT
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :troutslap

ShaunS70T5
Friday 23rd September 2005, 19:04
Did ya's not get any free bee's like a pen or sumit :dunce:

Mrsmopp
Friday 23rd September 2005, 19:06
Did ya's not get any free bee's like a pen or sumit :dunce:

Yup!! And Volvo mints!! :haha: Yer dead jealous right? LOL

Oh yeah we learnt about volvo on call - now thats a must!! They can open your car from their office if you lock your keys in!!

x

ShaunS70T5
Friday 23rd September 2005, 19:11
Yup!! And Volvo mints!! :haha: Yer dead jealous right? LOL

Oh yeah we learnt about volvo on call - now thats a must!! They can open your car from their office if you lock your keys in!!

x

:jaw: sooooooooooo wish i came!!!!!!

TangoDeltaSierra3
Friday 23rd September 2005, 19:17
I'm back lol, was Ok today, although a little rushed, i never even got the chance to say hi to some new folk i aint met before, so Sorry to you lol, we'll meet again as Vera said.

Justin
Friday 23rd September 2005, 19:17
Awesome day, very accomodating and even managed to wriggle out of probing questions :)

Volvo that is lol.....went out in an S60R and my god, it really does handle :)

JUDGENINJA
Friday 23rd September 2005, 19:25
An excellent day (I think) was had by all..... just went to show just how bad my front suspension is compared to the S60R. Thought I'd have a bit of a detour round a roundabout before joining the M1 to come back up the Loughtborough...
:jaw: MY CAR HAS SHOCKING HANDLING :jaw:
Suspension will be swapped either tomorrow morning at my ex-bosses garage or at home back in north wales tomorrow night...

I'm a bit disapointed that the top speed limiter can't be removed by a dealer as that would be one of the first requirements for me.....hypothetically...

Oh and if we're being picky I didn't like the paint finish / drivers seat height / hand brake position / Cramped in the back / lack of head room in the back (not that I'm tall) apart from that............
if I had £36k to spend on a car I'd still get a Skyline / 350Z....

Redbrick
Friday 23rd September 2005, 19:40
So what did u learn????? TELL ME TELL ME TELL ME!!!!

Well Spesh, Rich and I happened to notice a Volvo badged V8 engine on a stand...

Anyone tell me what currant Volvo uses a V8?

Got a photo as well ;)

JUDGENINJA
Friday 23rd September 2005, 19:49
XC90 - Sold everywhere apart from the UK....We did get a nudge..nudge..wink from the place that there are some new developments in that area for 2006

splatt
Friday 23rd September 2005, 20:40
made it back in 2 1/2 hours...F'ing M25!!
Nice turn out....impressed.
Hat off to Matt for sorting it out...some people have missed out....excellent day..

Mrsmopp
Friday 23rd September 2005, 21:00
XC90 - Sold everywhere apart from the UK....We did get a nudge..nudge..wink from the place that there are some new developments in that area for 2006

S80 - June 2006 ;) *possibly* lol

x

JUDGENINJA
Friday 23rd September 2005, 21:10
...don't forget face lift models as well....

Rufe
Friday 23rd September 2005, 21:39
That Vadis is no longer in use - VIDA is, they showed us how the whole thing works (very clever too) and other stuff that I have forgotten!! LOL

x
btw, those of you with VADIS, may get an error message come up now saying that the disk can no longer be used after 1/9/05 or something... but do what i have done, wind the PC clock back a few months when you want to use it. :)

VIDA is a pain in the ass for us, as it depends on a net connection, and ours in work is so slow it isnt funny, makes VIDA almost unuasble, yet our bosses are refusing to upgrade our connection?? work that one out :slap:

glad you all enjoyed the day there :D

volvotuning
Friday 23rd September 2005, 22:09
That's why we will continue to use VADIS alongside VIDA, because VADIS allows us to see sensor readings in real time on the road with the laptop.

Unless VIDA has a standalone app that can be downloaded for that very purpose.

Adam.

Tomcat
Friday 23rd September 2005, 22:20
ER.......Ooooops I knew I forgot something!.

To be fair I was up all last night respraying my Volans and I think the paint fumes may have gotten to me(thats my excuse and I'm stikin' to it).

Apologies to all concerned for my absence I'm glad you all had a good time.

Vikingxl
Saturday 24th September 2005, 08:39
Just sobered up enough to type after last night.Fantastic day out very informative and it was great to meet everybody sorry i had to disapear early but had somewhere to be last night.Photos will be with Justin on monday for you all to see.Best sight of the day though has to be the convoy of volvos from the pub after lubch.

MattV70
Saturday 24th September 2005, 12:50
Just sobered up enough to type after last night.Fantastic day out very informative and it was great to meet everybody sorry i had to disapear early but had somewhere to be last night.Photos will be with Justin on monday for you all to see.Best sight of the day though has to be the convoy of volvos from the pub after lubch.

I don't know the line up in front of the building before we all left was fairly impressive!

I thought we'd got the wrong place at first as at 1:55 there was only 4 of us there, then as i turned around everyone turned up en-mass!

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 24th September 2005, 15:22
It was quite amusing being watched impatiently by a dozen peeps as I tried to stuff a hot club sandwich down my neck.
Weather was truly aweful.
I can't believe how cool it was having a continuous T5 convoy from the pub - 15 cars long!! Thats a whole load of horse power.
Once we had all signed in and poked around the BTCC S40 and the Black T5 V70 (phase 2) we had a very interesting talk on diagnostics - includng a few tricky questions about police spec, ETM failure and quite a heated debate about Software piracy. VIDA looks the dogs!

I really enjoyed the techie based demo and discussions on the new Haldex AWD system on the new Rs. Had great fun snooping underneath the bottom of the V70R they set up for us. The haldex is a very trick piece of kit and I really like the model with all the cut aways. I liked the S60R demo of the 4C damper system and was very impressed with the ride and handling.

They also had other cut away cars - e.g. showing the whole setp in a V70 P2 car.

I also got to sit in and get a feel for the XC90 T6 and a V50. Everyone at Volvo was very accomodating.

Not forgetting the buns.

Very cool day and much enjoyed by all. I think someone should write a nice letter to thank them (and send a few VF stickers)

TangoDeltaSierra3
Saturday 24th September 2005, 18:34
Well volunteered Dave.

siamblue
Saturday 24th September 2005, 19:40
I wish i could of made it, turned out to be a duff plug in the end :slap:
Will look forward to seeing the pics on Monday.

Justin
Saturday 24th September 2005, 21:49
Already drafting a letter ;)

t5owner
Sunday 25th September 2005, 15:47
Yes a most excellent day out very taken by the met blue V70 R
Can i have one pls pls pls santa
That S60 R certainly had some grunt and handling was well awesome
Nearly took out a red polo i think on the r/bout that guy certainly has faith in the cars abilities

More fun on the way home when i eventually got back to the M1 (help i`m lost)

Came off at leics and onto the A46 nice fast road and no camera`s had some fun with a bimmer z3 came up behind him at about 80 wouldn`t move over for a good 5 minutes nothing on inside lane was getting bored so i flicked on me secret weapons 4 covert stobes never seen a bimmer pull over so fast and he even indicated as he did dropped it to 4 th and clogged it for about 3 miles and shot off at the A606 b4 the guy had chance to figure out what or who i was :haha:

Happy days

Cheers

dicky b t5
Sunday 25th September 2005, 15:55
Tut tut , 4 covert Strobes you say , naughty boy...!lol

splatt
Sunday 25th September 2005, 21:25
Finally got time to blend the pics..
This was not all of the cars...

splatt
Sunday 25th September 2005, 21:32
And the turn out (a few had to leave beforehand)

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 25th September 2005, 22:54
Thanks Pat - cool fish eye shot!

splatt
Monday 26th September 2005, 08:25
If anyone wants a better quality pic I will e mail .. let me know .. must send to Justin for the gallery

Justin
Monday 26th September 2005, 12:35
Pics courtesy of Viking are here :)

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/volvogallery/thumbnails.php?album=195

Mrsmopp
Monday 26th September 2005, 13:09
Loving yer work with the cars outside the training centre pic Splatt :)

x

Mrsmopp
Monday 26th September 2005, 13:11
Nice pics Rich - I think you have the first decent one of Pheiffer (not looking too dirty) in there ;)

x

Mrsmopp
Monday 26th September 2005, 13:13
If anyone wants a better quality pic I will e mail .. let me know .. must send to Justin for the gallery

The "owners" pic is a tad on the small side - can you email it to me slightly larger?

x

Wobbly Dave
Monday 26th September 2005, 13:33
Cool pics rich

andy l
Monday 26th September 2005, 14:54
smart pics and nice to meet ye,

Vikingxl
Monday 26th September 2005, 16:55
BIG thanks to my new best friend Viking for my Winnie replacement - she's been on the track already ;)

How did it do on the track then anygood? :worthless

Mrsmopp
Monday 26th September 2005, 16:57

How did it do on the track then anygood? :worthless

Track is now set up in the loft and she goes round those corners better then I could have ever expected the real thing to do LMSO!! Probkem is Steve is now complaining that between the forum and my "track events" he cant remember what i look like LOL

x

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 27th September 2005, 00:54
My car looks really boring....... :frown: :frown: :frown:

t5owner
Tuesday 27th September 2005, 09:34
Nice pics rich
See you caught my best side then

Cheers

stuart :remybussi

chriskay
Tuesday 27th September 2005, 09:45
Called at my dealer's yesterday. Service manager says they're still using Vadis 'cos Vida keeps crashing the computer :wtf:

rs_andy
Tuesday 27th September 2005, 14:04
We had a great day out, nice to meet a few people and many thanks to matt for arranging it.

Totally impressed by the 'R' wasn't expecting it to be that good after hearing some people's comments about it on here. All I can say is you must have some pretty fast cars!

I liked the idea of the phone equipped cars being able to be fixed out in the field and possible self-diagnosing of problems but a little concerned that even a simple thing like a window switch should be a module.... means that a part that should be a tenner will probably be £150 and can only be fitted by your dealer cos a second hand one won't talk to your car!

had to grin though when the guy driving the 'R' stopped and took off the 'advanced' suspension setting, he said that it's not really suitable for normal road use, hhmmm telling that to a bunch of people most likely to have it permanently in that mode! :B_steerin

dave
Tuesday 27th September 2005, 21:07
Totally impressed by the 'R' wasn't expecting it to be that good after hearing some people's comments about it on here. All I can say is you must have some pretty fast cars!

i dont like to gloat!,lol, but i have been trying to portray this info for a while!

had to grin though when the guy driving the 'R' stopped and took off the 'advanced' suspension setting, he said that it's not really suitable for normal road use, hhmmm telling that to a bunch of people most likely to have it permanently in that mode!

to be honest if u drove in advanced mode, on normal roads, you have the car in a ditch pretty quickly, to hard, car with hit a bump and jump into a ditch!

Redbrick
Tuesday 27th September 2005, 21:18

I to was impressed with the trick handling. I'd love to try a Rica'd V70R/S60R because I was a little underwhelmed with the acceleration. That said we were five up and I was clutching a laptop!

dave
Tuesday 27th September 2005, 22:05
no wonder it felt slow, if u were 5 up, thats about 400kg approx!, thats like pulling a small caravan behind u!

Redbrick
Tuesday 27th September 2005, 22:19
no wonder it felt slow, if u were 5 up, thats about 400kg approx!, thats like pulling a small caravan behind u!

Yes Dave, thats why I said what I did.

I'm sure it would benefit from some Rica magic though.

volvotuning
Tuesday 27th September 2005, 22:30
They are very good for tuning - huge potential :)

Adam.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Tuesday 27th September 2005, 23:11
I to was impressed with the trick handling. I'd love to try a Rica'd V70R/S60R because I was a little underwhelmed with the acceleration. That said we were five up and I was clutching a laptop!Yer i thought that too, after all we only had a mile down the road and back so not exactly enough to compliment or slag the car off!

Vikingxl
Wednesday 28th September 2005, 07:15
I to was impressed with the trick handling. I'd love to try a Rica'd V70R/S60R because I was a little underwhelmed with the acceleration. That said we were five up and I was clutching a laptop!
That was quite a big five up as well three of us were big lads

t5owner
Wednesday 28th September 2005, 09:36
Lucky us then as there was only me , gibbo and chris in the "r" when we went for our spin and were all on the lightish side so we probs got the best of it
within the limits of what the chap could do on the public road

A track or private road would probs give a better idea of its potential

Cheers

stuart

splatt
Wednesday 28th September 2005, 10:18
Lucky us then as there was only me , gibbo and chris in the "r" when we went for our spin and were all on the lightish side so we probs got the best of it
within the limits of what the chap could do on the public road

A track or private road would probs give a better idea of its potential

Cheers

stuarthope my wife doesnt read this or you are dead...LOL