PDA

View Full Version : Car hides petrol

vaderboyo
Tuesday 17th July 2012, 14:45
Tried searching for this but no joy.

I put £80's worth of highly expensive petrol in my Vulvo, and the car hides half of it somewhere.

Not sure how, or even why the car is hiding it, maybe she intends selling it on to lesser cars at night when I'm in bed sleeping...maybe she is storing it for a special occassion like bonfire night, who knows...

All I do know is that the gauge only goes half way up even when I know the tank if full....

Any ideas appreciated, not sure if I should hire a P.I. in a Ferrari to follow my AWD after dark, or whether this is a common thing where the gauge has fallen out of love with the petrol tank....Ive smaked the dash a few times trying to show her whos boss.....if I let her get away with this trick, she will walk all over me and forever laugh at me from the drive...so please help.

tvm

Vaderboyo

M-R-P
Tuesday 17th July 2012, 15:26
Not something I know much about, however, the top "half" of the tank is bigger than the bottom. If you brim it, the needle will fall slowly to about half way then plummet the rest of the way to empty. Annoying and just as bad with P2 cars as P1.

d2k
Tuesday 17th July 2012, 15:36
lol... mine seems to do this just before it hits the red (about 70 mile left on computer), it gets a fuel boost from somewhere... the gauge goes up slightly & comp changes to 100 mile in tank..?

does it everytime...... :wink:

MRTREE
Tuesday 17th July 2012, 16:43
It could be the sender unit in your fuel tank thats miss reading you can get them cleaned and see if that makes a difference or just replace the unit alltogether all in all its not a costly job.

vaderboyo
Wednesday 18th July 2012, 00:02
cheers all

ive been throwing her about a bit, so the sender may indeed have had a shock..

just peeped out of the window and she's still on the drive so my 'sell on the black market' theory may be wrong.

cheers again