PDA

View Full Version : Can't cruise no more

Al115
Monday 16th July 2012, 23:16
New week, new electrical gremlin.

"CRUISE" will show up on the dash but it won't engage (so never says "CRUISE-ON").

Any clues?

No faults displayed. Haven't read the codes yet but obv nothing major or it'd be telling me!

Thoughts, oh wise ones?

The car's a 2005 V70R. Everything else is working (today).

Vikingxl
Tuesday 17th July 2012, 06:22
Give me a ring Al i might have some answers for you

Al115
Tuesday 17th July 2012, 08:09
Thanks mate. Will do!

M-R-P
Tuesday 17th July 2012, 08:13
When mine played up, the code reader said "clutch position sensor circuit" and once cleared, it worked (happened a few times) BUT... this was while my D.I.M. was being a total tool and it hasn't done it since I had the new D.I.M. put in.
Dunno if it's just a coincidence or not but it's not uncommon for the clutch position sensor to play up.

burchi
Tuesday 17th July 2012, 08:59
When mine played up, the code reader said "clutch position sensor circuit" and once cleared, it worked (happened a few times) BUT... this was while my D.I.M. was being a total tool and it hasn't done it since I had the new D.I.M. put in.
Dunno if it's just a coincidence or not but it's not uncommon for the clutch position sensor to play up.

Ditto! Clutch pedal position sensor would be my bet... Common fail... About £40 and 10 mins to change over although you need to be a bit of a contortionist to be able to reach it at the top of the clutch pedal!

Make sure it shows no signs of fluid on it though as if it does, this is a sign of early slave cylinder failure on it's way!

HTH

stribo
Tuesday 17th July 2012, 10:41
Ditto! Clutch pedal position sensor would be my bet... Common fail... About £40 and 10 mins to change over although you need to be a bit of a contortionist to be able to reach it at the top of the clutch pedal!

Make sure it shows no signs of fluid on it though as if it does, this is a sign of early slave cylinder failure on it's way!

HTH

If it's got fluid on, that would be coming from the master cylinder, as the slave cylinder is inside the bell housing.

ShadeTek
Tuesday 17th July 2012, 15:18
I've also had the cruise display fail to illuminate and it was due to the brake position sensor. It would randomly fail to engage every week or so until I took the brake postion connector off and sprayed some contact cleaner in there and since then, it's been fine. I find the CC on the phase 2 better than the 850s in that it engages quickly and cruises at a steady speed.

Al115
Tuesday 17th July 2012, 17:53
Did it throw any codes, Tek?

ShadeTek
Tuesday 17th July 2012, 18:47
Yes, it said service engine check or something like that. It went away after 3 days and then came back. This made me buy Vida/Dice to find out what was going on. I then did a real-time check of the pedal position sensor and it all looked OK with no glitches on the graph suggesting an intermittent connection. That's when I cleaned the contacts and it's been fine ever since.

ripper
Thursday 19th July 2012, 22:31
My 2002 V70 fails to engage cruise unless the managment system is read and cleared. It comes up with clutch position sensor so i guess this is a common fault.

Has anyone just cleaned it and found it ok or is it a replacement job.??

Is there a how to do this on the site does anyone know??

LeeT5
Monday 23rd July 2012, 08:31
Give me a ring Al i might have some answers for you

Ohh, what's the big secret??

M-R-P
Monday 23rd July 2012, 08:40
My 2002 V70 fails to engage cruise unless the managment system is read and cleared. It comes up with clutch position sensor so i guess this is a common fault.

I cleared mine and it would be ok for a month or so, but once I had the DIM changed, I never had the problem again.

p fandango
Monday 23rd July 2012, 08:51

sure i only paid about £30 to replace it, i did try stripping it to clean but broke the casing doing so. When i replaced it the first time it only lasted a few months as the master cylinder was dripping onto it (another common problem), so when i replaced it the second time i put a food bag around the body & cable-tied it on, lasted a few years so fair

as for actually doing it i don't even think you need to take the dash undertray off, lie on your back with your head under there & push the clutch pedal to see where the linkage goes, the position switch is on 2 push-on ball joints with a plug so very easy to change

Al115
Thursday 9th August 2012, 14:04
It was the clutch pedal switch in the end, as suggested. Thanks again.

M-R-P
Thursday 9th August 2012, 14:09
Happy ending :)

Glad it's all sorted.