PDA

View Full Version : S60R for track use

Hunter
Sunday 15th July 2012, 21:40
OK, I've had my S60R for four and a half years now, done nearly 60k miles in it (just about 80k in total), replaced nearly every mechanical and electrical part possible due to the general fragility of the car, and now ready to retire it from daily use to becoming a pretty much dedicated track car. My current track car (Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 with 130k miles) is up for sale and I'm on the lookout for a new road car so the S60R is ready for some fettling.

It's got a very strong engine now, having had a new one rebuilt with custom sleeves, has a Superchip which makes it quicker than standard (286whp at the only RR session I took it to), Jetex cat-back exhaust, and DS2500 pads all round. Suspension is original.

Question is: what should I do to make it awesome on track? Are there any suspension alternatives to standard? I'd fit coilovers if I thought they wouldn't throw up lots of error messages and shut down some other systems. Power? Don't know what the options are with it having a Superchip already, but would be happy to ditch the Superchip if someone suggested a way of getting serious power (engine has been guaranteed to 500bhp). Happy enough with the brakes at present and the DS2500s give good performance without fade. Exhaust is standard apart from the cat-back. I've not been a fan of large-bore systems because of the lack of low-down torque for road use but, if it's going to be a track car, should I be looking at new down pipes and a sport cat? Already have a larger secondary intercooler, but probably have space for a bigger one yet. Running on original 18" Pegs but not hugely enamoured with these as they're prone to going out of shape (although that's due more to the state of the roads around here) so would happily take recommendations.

Got a reasonably good budget for this (but not unlimited!) and would be happy to hear the suggestions and recommendations of the knowledgeable here

Thanks in advance,
Brian

stribo
Sunday 15th July 2012, 21:54
TBH upping the power would probably give you more problems with the already fragile AWD system, and I'm not sure if coil overs would benefit you over the 4C system you already have, although lowering it would. The biggest gain to performance you'll get from it would be lowering the weight i.e. stripping it to within an inch of it's life. All that having been said, the R is never going to be a great track car, compared to, say, an Mitsubishi Evo, or Subaru Impreza, as it just wasn't designed for that sort of treatment.

volvokid
Sunday 15th July 2012, 22:47
I think t5d5 has some good powered R s maybe ask there, Santa maybe has some nice mods I'm not sure ??? I think that most of the other ones that have been tweaked are just running run of the mill stuff

Santa
Sunday 15th July 2012, 22:56
With a strong block I'd deffo go the usual bigger turbo, bigger injectors and custom mapping to start with and probably expand the exhaust to turbo back with race cat.

Handling package thicker anti sway bars, maybe lowered springs, sticky tyres (On genuine 17 or 18 inch pegs), brakes, I use standard discs and calipers but carbotech XP8 pads. High temp brake fluid is also useful.

BUT if there is one thing I will recommend if you are going down this route, something I will recommend above all else, change the clutch and flywheel. Something like a SPEC 3+ and a SMF.

Chad
Sunday 15th July 2012, 23:46
Pretty much what Santa said.

Although, some high powered R's are running the 2.4 T5 Lump.

depends ho much ££ you want to throw at it.

The AWD system is very tempremental. An extra cooling system for the transmission fluids would be a good start.

Getting the later collar gear and software for the AOC would be good too.

Santa
Monday 16th July 2012, 09:28
Although, some high powered R's are running the 2.4 T5 Lump.

Just more info on the 2.4 route. its usually in lieu of having the custom sleeves you have (plus nuking the previous 2.5), as you have custom sleeves and a "strong" engine I'd stick with the 2.5.

Al115
Monday 16th July 2012, 11:08
My view, FWIW - it will suck on the track compared to something you could buy for half the money. Sell it and buy a track car.

the young mechanic
Monday 16th July 2012, 13:49
if going an other way stay on the rout of volvo maybe a 740/240/940

GregE102
Monday 16th July 2012, 15:06
Before going with a bigger turbo I would go for a larger IC and water injection and any other cooling mods you can fit!
As with the Bigger turbos comes more heat and all that will happen is the ECU will retard the ignition anyway!
So in my Book cooling is a big must before the rest and see how much more you get first?
Also don't forget to replace as many bushes as possible, rear ARB and if you can afford one a diff for the front!
Then get a remap! and that way all that you have done before will still be of use and can be used with a bigger turbo!
But you might be surprised with the KKK24 and don't forget about the angled gear! with tons of extra torque from a big turbo it will most likely munch it for breakfast?

Which is personally why I think a Bigger turbo is not the way forward!

Cheers Greg

smithy
Monday 16th July 2012, 15:56
Get a proper remap mate you would proberly get a lot more power from the spec of car you have ,santas car flys mate with the rica mate he has but I don't know what stage he has though.he thinks he is going to beat my old tech 140 bhp 940 he has another thing coming lol.

Santa
Monday 16th July 2012, 16:09
Al's comment does merit consideration. I forgot FMIC (ooppss)

But clutch clutch clutch lol

p fandango
Monday 16th July 2012, 16:50
stick with the VR4 lol

smithy
Monday 16th July 2012, 16:54
Get a 240/740/940 and have some rwd fun and no collar problems ether

Hunter
Saturday 6th October 2012, 07:32
Quick update:

Decided that my S60R is too fragile to try to get much more out of it, so I'm leaving it as it is and will use it mostly for commuting.

For fun and reliability, I've gone back to Japanese ... :D

p fandango
Saturday 6th October 2012, 07:50
alot better choice there sir

Ali-Bongo
Saturday 6th October 2012, 07:57
That's quite a track car buddy! What's it like compared to the S60R?

Hunter
Saturday 6th October 2012, 08:09
That's quite a track car buddy! What's it like compared to the S60R?

I'll be able to tell you next week. Heading for the ferry this afternoon - doing track days at Nurburgring on Monday, Spa on Wednesday and Zandvoort on Friday :) Should be fun! :D

T5frankie
Saturday 6th October 2012, 09:16
awesome those gtr's saw one at santa pod last week running high 8's

Hunter
Saturday 6th October 2012, 09:31
Yeah, some monster power cars out there. I'm happy with my low-11s (maybe high-10s) car just now, 'cept I don't really like standing 1/4s as it put so much strain on the transmission. That, and I got my ass kicked at Santa Pod by a Volkswagen bus when I ran my Galant VR-4! Too embarrassed to go back ;)

icooney
Saturday 6th October 2012, 09:50
If you want to stay volvo, Sell the R get a cheap low spec T5 strip, and chuck £5k at the engine and handling incl coilovers with all the options given above, Or just blow £2500-£4000 on a jap car track preped ready to go running over 400bhp.... :)

smithy
Saturday 6th October 2012, 10:19
Nice motors those gtr nissans but I still like the r34 though.i cannot weight till I get my old mans Volvo back on the road .