PDA

View Full Version : Noise under load/ sudden oil consumption

john656
Sunday 15th July 2012, 21:00
Evening y'all,
Right, on Thursday my low oil warning light came on. Anyway pulled the dip stick to double check and sure enough it was on the MIN mark, topped up. I've done 800 miles IIRC and checked the oil weekly as I've only had the car for just under 30 days. The strange thing is that I can't see for myself where the oil has gone. I have checked the platic turbo pipe - dry. Pulled the dip stick with the engine running no smoke/puffing. No blue during acceleration or starting. No smoke with the engine hot and revving stationary. I've had the spark plug cover off and the coils out to check for oil filling up the plugs.... guess what... nothing. I've had a look underneath and there is a very slight misting but nothing that I'm remotely bothered about as it doesn't drop and oil on the floor at work or at home. Since this has happened I am now checking the oil daily every morning before I use the car, guess what, ££££ on.
I have had the pipe off to the turbo and there didn't seem to be any play however the engine was still too warm to get my hands anywhere for any length of time, so this needs to be re-addressed in the near future. I have also noticed a noise from the engine @ approx 2800rpm and only occours under medium---> heavy load/ acceleration and the noise cannot be replicated on the drive with my ear over the engine such is life. It's sort of a metallicy rattle and then after 3000 rpm it goes and doesn't come back all the way through the rev range. There are no signs of oil in the header tank etc. Are the turbos on these made out of cheese or are they fairly good, would it be poss for the oil to be escaping into the exhaust side of the turbo with no noticeable signs apart from the sudden oil consumption??
I will be ringing the dealer that sold me this to alert them to this problem asap if nothing else just to tell them about this indecent so they have a record.

Can anyone else give me any pointers etc

Thanks in advance.

John

M-R-P
Monday 16th July 2012, 13:29
Ok, just to clarify, it used a load of oil and now it's fine?
Bit strange.
Worth watching.

john656
Monday 16th July 2012, 19:10
yep to put a blunt end on it. used a 1L in a week but was fine for 2. Will check it again in the morning but looks as if its moved down to the first X down from the max mark.... which is where its sat since thurs and yesterday morning it was §§§§ on :scared:

M-R-P
Monday 16th July 2012, 19:17
Hmmm, in my limited experience of the internal combustion engine, they tend not to cure themselves after an oil leak. Is it possible that it just had an oil change or been sat for a while and caused an airlock? a bit far fetched I know but like I said, a loss of oil that leaves no puddle, smoke or evidence which suddenly fixes itself is a bit odd.

john656
Monday 16th July 2012, 19:44
tell me about it. Can't get my head around it, hense taking a few things off. Would have been nice to see the plug holes full could easily loose a bit in them. Its even more unusual that it stays right for a bit then takes a gulp. Least with my landrover you could see it raining from every seal ;-). Possible reason for the police getting rid, nackered rings or turbo ;-0 heehee

M-R-P
Monday 16th July 2012, 19:49
naaah, plod get shot after 3 years or 120k, whichever comes last afaik.
maybe give it an oil change and keep an eye on it.
its very rare plod let the engine go bad. Suspension maybe, not the engine.

john656
Monday 16th July 2012, 20:39
Also just found I have a PAS leak which explains the oil over the subframe. Looks to be coming from the pinion, lol the joys of owning a car

argyllt5
Friday 21st March 2014, 17:10
john. I have a similar problem.
I noticed yesterday my low oil light come on and sure enough it was on the min mark. topped it up and seems to be ok

I also notice a rattle from say 2800 through to 3k plus but then goes on higher revs.

very noticeable seems to be coming from the aux belt area. will need to take it off and see if it still makes the noise.!

Harvey
Friday 21st March 2014, 17:13
Thread is a bit old to get any feedback .

argyllt5
Friday 21st March 2014, 17:29
just noticed it was posted 2012 :/ maybe make a new one..