PDA

View Full Version : S60 D5 Remap...Choices

stephenevans99
Tuesday 10th July 2012, 17:58
I'm know that this topic has been covered so many times and I've read quite a few threads on this and other forums regarding the options of remapping the EU3 D5 Geartronic.

There's a company quite local to me who have an unquestionable reputation for live mapping and chip tuning. The company is http://www.motorsport-developments.co.uk/. Their reputation is second to none on the Ford scene.

I paid them a visit today and they explained that my ECU will have to be removed and their 'chip' inserted. The power gains quoted of 30bhp & 60nm torque seem to be exactly the same as all the other tuning companies.

I'm wondering if the remap/chip for my D5 is pretty much the same regardless of where it's bought or installed.

I've used HLM for my 'off the shelf' remap on my previous T5, never had any problems and HLM were great, BUT Motorsport Developments are only 20 minutes away....the more and more I search for answers, the more confused I become lol.

I know the decision is mine & mine alone, BUT any advise would be greatly appreciated !!

Steve

V70 Graham
Tuesday 10th July 2012, 18:37
Yes, the decision is yours but so long as the company you are thinking of using has a good reputation (maybe aske previous customers) you should be ok, the benifit of using someone closer is if something were to go wrong/need looking at you wouldn't have as far to go.

stephenevans99
Tuesday 10th July 2012, 19:13
the benifit of using someone closer is if something were to go wrong/need looking at you wouldn't have as far to go.

That's exactly what i was thinking, although this local tuner perhaps won't be as familiar around Volvo as HLM are.

Nealevo
Tuesday 10th July 2012, 19:21
HLM have a tuned D5 as a demo/loan car, it was a huge fun for a diseasel, and they use it for track days too.. May be worth a chat with them!!

p fandango
Tuesday 10th July 2012, 19:24
i'm sure HLM just flash onto the ecu instead of physically putting a chip in

stephenevans99
Tuesday 10th July 2012, 19:30
HLM have a tuned D5 as a demo/loan car, it was a huge fun for a diseasel, and they use it for track days too.. May be worth a chat with them!!

I am pushed towards using HLM mainly due to their familiarity with Volvo, I think a phonecall in the day or so is needed.

That's what I thought. Perhaps a physical chip has to be implanted - I'm sure we'll find out.

I'll also ask is anything done with the Geartronic box, I'm sure I've read somewhere that a reset can be done on the 'adaptive learning' thingybob - or perhaps I just dream't that !!

Nealevo
Tuesday 10th July 2012, 19:34

Sorry no idea, all I know it was more fun than I was expecting...

GRN Motors
Tuesday 10th July 2012, 19:40
Hi

Rica have also been tuning Volvo's for some time now with some excellent results.

The Rica uprades are done via the OBD port.

We have been working on Volvo's for over 30 years now ranging

Thanks
Benny

bubba_1986
Tuesday 10th July 2012, 20:16
I would Give hlm a call and have a chat with hamish or Natalie. They won't bite and can provide you with professional advice and choices you can make.

LiamT4
Tuesday 10th July 2012, 21:16
You may find that there will be "updates" for the geartronic box, that can be done when remapping.

Although not a diesel or a volvo, when i had my car remapped they had it in first to see what software version the car was currently running (for the steptronic box), so they knew what updates it would need for the remap.