PDA

View Full Version : Brake Swap????

MoleT-5R
Saturday 7th July 2012, 21:06
I was as looking at some S60 Discs and calipers today and I was starting to think whether there would any way that these parts would bolt on to the 850 as she is needing some braking improvement and these parts look substantially better than whats there now. Whether the disc and caliper would be all that's needed bolting straight on to the 850 hub or removing the 850 hub and bolting in the s60 hub complete with discs and calipers. Any thoughts would be gratefully received, as I don't really wish to splash out the cash if there absolutely no way it will work, but I don't mined having to do some engineering to make it work if it is likely to be a viable possibility....anyone tried this...

p fandango
Saturday 7th July 2012, 21:32
the P2 hubs got a different ball joint so won't bolt onto the 850 wishbone

claymore
Saturday 7th July 2012, 21:41
If it was that easy, we'd all be doing it bud :)

Wally Dog
Saturday 7th July 2012, 23:36
I've been told to get the carriers from a V70 - which will allow you to increase size from 288mm to 302mm discs and use the same caliper.

p fandango
Saturday 7th July 2012, 23:40
I've been told to get the carriers from a V70 - which will allow you to increase size from 288mm to 302mm discs and use the same caliper.
their off the V70R classic, the S70 shape

MoleT-5R
Sunday 8th July 2012, 23:17
well thanks all, I thought as I looked at them that something didn't add up and as pedro said, the ball joints are done opposite ways round, so back to the drawing board, but I'm thinking that there is something that can be done here to make a cheap upgrade so watch this space :banana:

And your right Claymore, if it was that easy we'll all be doing it.....soon maybe we can, I am trying to follow your lead and make it from what already is out there and can be cheaply sourced :cool:

p fandango
Monday 9th July 2012, 04:31
I'm thinking that there is something that can be done here to make a cheap upgrade so watch this space :banana:
i haven't followed it up, but my thoughts were about making a thick metal strip to bolt onto the 850 wishbone with a hole in the end instead of the balljoint for the P2's protruding bolt. You would also need to check if the 850 hub/bearing will fit onto the P2 knuckle as they use different thread on the wheel nuts. Things like the length of the P2 knuckle compared to the 850, & if the track-rod ends fit also need to be checked for compatiblility

850 diagram
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/5730/8501.jpg
make a replacement part with a hole in the end instead of a balljoint might get the P2 knuckle to fit

P2 diagram
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/6562/18128252.jpg

MoleT-5R
Monday 9th July 2012, 04:58
i haven't followed it up, but my thoughts were about making a thick metal strip to bolt onto the 850 wishbone with a hole in the end instead of the balljoint for the P2's protruding bolt. You would also need to check if the 850 hub/bearing will fit onto the P2 knuckle as they use different thread on the wheel nuts. Things like the length of the P2 knuckle compared to the 850, & if the track-rod ends fit also need to be checked for compatiblility

850 diagram
http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/5730/8501.jpg
make a replacement part with a hole in the end instead of a balljoint might get the P2 knuckle to fit

P2 diagram
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/6562/18128252.jpg

I see we're both thinking along similiar lines here, will have to have a play with a few scrap parts to see what can be done easily

M-R-P
Monday 9th July 2012, 08:27
If you hold the various components of both models next to each other - track rods, wishbones, hub, shock, and all the nuts and bolts that hold them together, the P2 stuff is notably bigger than the P1. I doubt it's impossible but would take some interesting fabrication.
The easiest way I can think of would be to make the whole front end of a P2 - strut tops to steering rack, fit into a P1. I say "easiest way I can think of" but then it's not something I'd want to try lol.