PDA

View Full Version : 740 turbo 3 inch down pipe?

julek780
Friday 6th July 2012, 21:57
Hi guys, i was thinking of fitting a 3 inch downpipe and would like to know if there would be any gains in power, and also if it could cause turbo seal leaks due to low exhaust backpressure?
Julian

jks
Saturday 7th July 2012, 15:21
What turbo you using?

mark244turbo
Sunday 21st October 2012, 21:58
Hi guys, i was thinking of fitting a 3 inch downpipe and would like to know if there would be any gains in power, and also if it could cause turbo seal leaks due to low exhaust backpressure?
Julian

The gains will be considerably. With less backpressure the turbo spools up faster, meaning you got more usable torque down low, but also more hp in the higher revvs.
There are no issues with seals leaking due to low exhaust backpressure, unless they were leaking allready.

mark_eire
Monday 22nd October 2012, 07:36
Where are you getting this downpipe? I'm after one myself

rockheadrumble
Wednesday 24th October 2012, 23:20
I might be wrong but Im pretty sure that a bigger exhaust sacrificed lower down torque for hight bhp.

barkster1971
Friday 2nd November 2012, 19:33
I've got a full 3 inch exhaust on mine. Standard is 2.25. There's no point just putting a 3 inch downpipe on, get a full length sytem with free flow cat( if fitted). I 've got a spare one that's a bit rough, conical fit 2.25. opening out to 3 you can have cheap. It's part of an overall upgrade really.

redbaron
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 10:20
On mine I'm fitting a 3'' downpipe then 2.5 from DP back, I'm going from a 3'' to 2.5 because the mods i'm planning won't justify a full 3'' system yet

look up 'JT avgasteknik' for quality 3'' exhaust bits.

Exhaust depends on what modifications you plan now or for the future. I'm going for a 19t turbo, cossie injectors, TLAO chips therefore I can justify a 3'' DP for when the gt35 turbo is fitted

smithy
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 12:29
On mine I'm fitting a 3'' downpipe then 2.5 from DP back, I'm going from a 3'' to 2.5 because the mods i'm planning won't justify a full 3'' system yet

look up 'JT avgasteknik' for quality 3'' exhaust bits.

Exhaust depends on what modifications you plan now or for the future. I'm going for a 19t turbo, cossie injectors, TLAO chips therefore I can justify a 3'' DP for when the gt35 turbo is fitted

Nice and a gt35 that should go well mate .the seems to be alot of 940s being modded this year we will have to get them all down to a track meet or drag meet that would be good.

redbaron
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 15:27
A track meet would be great fun. Volvo's have a big presence in England but over here I keep getting asked why I don't run the car in a destruction derby [my pet hate]. I'm looking foward to embarrassing a few 'hot' hatches and porsches too

Any tips for lightening a 940? I can't go down the stripped interior route yet as I want it to remain a sleeper

smithy
Tuesday 29th January 2013, 17:15
A track meet would be great fun. Volvo's have a big presence in England but over here I keep getting asked why I don't run the car in a destruction derby [my pet hate]. I'm looking foward to embarrassing a few 'hot' hatches and porsches too

Any tips for lightening a 940? I can't go down the stripped interior route yet as I want it to remain a sleeper

They arnt that heavy mate and if you have aircon take it out .and then up the power and also check what axle ratio you have too .the best allrounder is a 3.73 axle ratio .i have a 1041k 3.73 off a 960 I am fitting in mine.i had a 1041 3.31 axle and with that I could get a 13.9 quater no probs .and that was with a t cam lol.

redbaron
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 10:04
Take the aircon out? I have thought about it but what would it entail? I know the condensing unit is blocking the intercooler which made me think about relocating it to behind the main radiator

smithy
Wednesday 30th January 2013, 10:40
Take the aircon out? I have thought about it but what would it entail? I know the condensing unit is blocking the intercooler which made me think about relocating it to behind the main radiator

If it don't work mate then I would take it out .you have pm

graemewelch
Saturday 2nd February 2013, 17:37
I've got a full 3 inch exhaust on mine. Standard is 2.25. There's no point just putting a 3 inch downpipe on, get a full length sytem with free flow cat( if fitted). I 've got a spare one that's a bit rough, conical fit 2.25. opening out to 3 you can have cheap. It's part of an overall upgrade really.

how cheap is cheap. i might be intrested