PDA

View Full Version : oxidised red paint help!

v6en
Wednesday 21st September 2005, 22:20
Hi there, i've bought a 440 which is in desperate need of some TLC. the interior is like new but the bodywork is dreadful. thought i would start by trying to revive the paint which has gone pale pink!! I had two red cavaliers and they both tried to fade but i never let it get bad, but if the 440 was a person it would need a skin graft lol.
Has anyone had any really good results from T Cut and polish on their car or am i fighting a losing battle?

thanks,
jacq.

The Flying Banana
Wednesday 21st September 2005, 22:37
Farecla G3 Compound Is The Stuff To Use!!!!

Super Finish Rubbing Compound Easyto Use On Nearly All Paint Finishes Its Free From Ammonia And Silicone.

If Using A Polishing Power Tool You Can As You Polish Use Water For Lubricating And Cooling.

When Polishing By Hand Use A Damp Cotton Cloth And Polish In A Straight Backwards And Forward Motion (not Circular) Continuing To Revolve The Cloth While Polishing Helps Keep It Clean, Finally Finish By Hand With A Dry Soft Cloth..

Do Not Apply In Direct Sunlight And Never Allow The Compound To Dry As It May Result In Staining..

The Polishing Or Buffing Action Produces A Shine To Paintwork By Grinding The Paint Surface Down With Fine Particles Of Grit And Removing A Minute Layer Of Paint And (minor Surface Imperfections)..

After You Have Done That Polish It With Presta Wax ( Available From Mrs Mopp) And It Will Be Like New!!!.

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 21st September 2005, 22:52
I know the feeling Jacq, my old 850 was a constant battle and I lost!! LOL It looked great straight after a polish and elbow grease (courtesy of Steve) but within a couple of days it was pinky again.

I would suggest a mop and then regular polishing.

x

M44K TS
Wednesday 21st September 2005, 23:05
I was at a Fiat garage a few months ago, and there was an old m reg pink punto for sale for £400. One half was pink where it had faded, the other half was showroom finish red, apparently, it was done by using Diamondbrite to show what it can do.

Maybe expensive but if it can revive that then i'm sure it should sort yours out aswell

I wonder if you buy the car they'll do the other half aswell though?

v6en
Wednesday 21st September 2005, 23:30
LOL thanks folks, so there is a ray of hope! I will post before and after pics of her if she doesn't break the camera.

jacq.

Mrsmopp
Thursday 22nd September 2005, 12:13
LOL! Steve has always diamondbrited my cars it helps but its no quick fix I'm afraid.

x

v6en
Thursday 22nd September 2005, 22:20
Hi,

well i started today mid afternoon and i'm well impressed with the difference it has made so far, still got the passenger side and roof to do. to be honest i think it will need 3 replacement doors as i just don't think the donkey work to fix the substantial rust is worth it. the engine seems fine, but the radiator looks past it lol. i'm looking forward to making it decent again, my little project!

jacq.

Mrsmopp
Friday 23rd September 2005, 18:14
Hi,

well i started today mid afternoon and i'm well impressed with the difference it has made so far, still got the passenger side and roof to do. to be honest i think it will need 3 replacement doors as i just don't think the donkey work to fix the substantial rust is worth it. the engine seems fine, but the radiator looks past it lol. i'm looking forward to making it decent again, my little project!

jacq.

Is this just a runaround or a wee project car ;)

x

lance
Friday 23rd September 2005, 18:58
Reds not a good colour to touch up either i spilt injection cleaner on the paint of a skoda felica and had to have it resprayed and it looked fine in day light but orange at night, red just seems to detiorate more than any other colour dont know why?
I used to use auto gleam to quite good effect on badly faded old motors, Fiat regretta + skoda estelle brought them from almost orange to red again.
But apparantly its chalky and you can overdo it eventually.
Now I usually pay someone to clean the car! and last time they used Tcut to remove a paint scrape from some bugger in a car park and bathroom spray to remove white paint on bumper from plank of wood scraping on a tip run.
5 people cleaning my car 10 mins and 5.99 u cant go wrong!

v6en
Saturday 24th September 2005, 00:04
lol excellent. Moppy, it's a wee project car. my neighbours have asked me if i'm opening a dealership heh heh.

jacq.

Mrsmopp
Saturday 24th September 2005, 14:55
lol excellent. Moppy, it's a wee project car. my neighbours have asked me if i'm opening a dealership heh heh.

jacq.

LOL! Sounds interesting....Is it top secret or are you going to let us know what you have planned ??

x

Ross9
Saturday 24th September 2005, 15:40
lol it's not a secret, just going to try and make it look less hideous again, and then probably sell it on :)

jacq.

Ross9
Saturday 24th September 2005, 20:01
mke it clean, take the rear seats out, slicks on the front and a 150 bhp shot if nitrous....but then I'm not allowed to do that, so yeah what Jacq says lol.

Seriously, apart from the bodywork it's excellent, bargain. Once Jacq has tidied it up it will make someone a very nice car. Spotless interior, electrical goodness etc Runs sweet and silent, starts within the first 2 cranks every time.

Ross