PDA

View Full Version : oil leak ?

wellsy
Friday 7th January 2005, 22:09
my t5 seems to have spouted a leak .
i had the turbo return o ring and gasket done not long ago so i dont think it is that ,are there any known places i should look to see where it might be coming from .
it doesnt look to serious at the mo but i dont want to let it progress to far .
the crankcase breather pipe has gone brittle and broke off im waiting for a weekend off work to do ,could this have anything to do with it.
thanks for any help anyone can give.
thanks wellsy.

Bracer
Monday 10th January 2005, 11:38
Where's the oil appearing ? i.e. what side of the engine ?

wellsy
Monday 10th January 2005, 20:53
not 100% but looks to be more from the passenger side if anything
i have read some where that if the crankcase breather is blocked or broken it may cause small leaks ,is there any truth in this as mine is at the mo broke but hope to get it done soon .i am not using the car much until i get this sorted .if the dreaded main crankcase seal has gone where would i see most oil.
thanks wellsy

Bracer
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 09:53
I'm afraid to say, oil showing its self on the gearbox side of the engine is 9 times out of 10 the Rear Main Seal which is a box out job.

But just to put hope into the situation I've know of a few LHS leaks to be tracked back to a leaking Oil Filler Cap Gasket :eek: There is a drain on the box side of the head which channels the oil out and down the side of the block, there is also another one to the rear of the head which causes the oil to pour onto the manifold and down the back of the block which is sometime confused with a Turbo Oil Feed Return gasket leaking.

Have a bit of a closer look before you throw a match on it :wink:

Hope this helps :tank:

Steve

wellsy
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 17:27
thanks bracer just had the car up on a ramp and the rear of the motor has a fair covering of oil which is dripping off the lowest point the bottom of the box am i right in thinking that if the rear seal had gone it would be leaking from the bottom of the bell housing .the oil filler cap does leak so will replace tommorow ,the leak seems to be from high up the motor at the rear if it was the oil filler draining where abouts does it drain out of the top of the motor?.
thanks for all your help.
cheers wellsy

Bracer
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 17:43
thanks bracer just had the car up on a ramp and the rear of the motor has a fair covering of oil which is dripping off the lowest point the bottom of the box am i right in thinking that if the rear seal had gone it would be leaking from the bottom of the bell housing .the oil filler cap does leak so will replace tommorow ,the leak seems to be from high up the motor at the rear if it was the oil filler draining where abouts does it drain out of the top of the motor?.
thanks for all your help.
cheers wellsy

As far as I'm aware yes when standing the oil will collect at the bottom of the Bell Housing and cause drips, but while moving the oil will be blown towards the rear of the engine making the source harder to pin point.

Easiest way to tell if its the Filler Cap gasket is remove the spark plug cover and if the cam tray is full of oil there’s your problem. Due to the design of the tray not all the oil will escape out the drains and as a result all the cavities have to fill with oil before it will overflow out the drains.

The oil tends to travel out where the HT leads run and there is another channel out the rear of the head about 2" in from the side with the engine top mount, it has a little plastic plate fitted into it so that the cover seals around the top.

If I can do some pics tonight I will post them tomorrow.

Hope this makes some sense thou.

Steve

Pedro Fandango
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 17:46
i had alot of oil smoke when the filler cap gasket went on BT

wellsy
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 17:49
there was some oil under the spark plug cover which i cleaned i think i am going to clean the whole oily mess as best i can then have it going up on the ramp until i can see where it is coming from thanks for the brief response and help
thanks wellsy.

Bracer
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 17:51
there was some oil under the spark plug cover which i cleaned i think i am going to clean the whole oily mess as best i can then have it going up on the ramp until i can see where it is coming from thanks for the brief response and help
thanks wellsy.

When my cap gasket went I cleaned it all up and poped out to get a new one, less than a mile away. By the time I got back its was P*ssing out everywhere again :eek:

wellsy
Tuesday 11th January 2005, 17:54
as soon i started mine again it was running down from under the cap im also going to do the crankcase breathers and oil seperator this weekend if i can get it off ,is a huge job taking off the inlet manifold?
cheers wellsy

Bracer
Wednesday 12th January 2005, 08:58
as soon i started mine again it was running down from under the cap im also going to do the crankcase breathers and oil seperator this weekend if i can get it off ,is a huge job taking off the inlet manifold?
cheers wellsy

No its fairly simple, just allow your self enough time and you'll be fine. Dont forget to get a new gasket set thou.

Laters

Steve :wink: