PDA

View Full Version : Boost problems.

stribo
Friday 29th June 2012, 18:43
I took the R out last night for a quick blast to the supermarket, and I noticed that in 3rd and 4th gear especially, when I floored it, the turbo spooled up as normal, giving nice strong boost up to about 4000rpm, then hesitated, then boosted again, then hesitated again, then boosted again, it continued doing this all the way up to the redline. Does anyone know what the problem might be, it's as if the wastegate is opening and shutting repeatedly after about 4000 rpm so my thoughts are TCS, or actuator, but not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

MattM
Friday 29th June 2012, 19:05
Check codes? It may show one of your sensors being off.

stribo
Friday 29th June 2012, 19:08
Check codes? It may show one of your sensors being off.

Will I be able to check them with a generic OBDII reader?

s_cowen
Saturday 30th June 2012, 09:51
Mine done the exact same as yours the other week & I used a generic code reader & it showed up a stored code & was the IAT sensor even though the EML wasn't on, cleared the code & cars been fine since, :smile:

dalhousie2008
Saturday 30th June 2012, 10:01
Ive got a code reader

stribo
Saturday 30th June 2012, 11:36
O.k., cleared the code, and been out for a blast, it was fine at first, but then the problem returned. :slap: I got home, and plugged the reader back in, and the code has returned. The code is:

P0017 Crankshaft Position Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor B)

but I'm none the wiser, is it a cam sensor, crank sensor, or something totally different. HELP:help::help:

shepbomb
Saturday 30th June 2012, 12:03
P0017 -- ECM-671C -- Camshaft position, exhaust -- High, (I would guess a faulty camshaft position sensor)

graemewelch
Saturday 30th June 2012, 12:32
Mine done the exact same as yours the other week & I used a generic code reader & it showed up a stored code & was the IAT sensor even though the EML wasn't on, cleared the code & cars been fine since, :smile:

Have you got yr own reader. Im after getting mine done.

M-R-P
Saturday 30th June 2012, 13:49
cheap ebay bluetooth one and the torque app works fine for mine (not that ive had a single code since I got the DIM done :))

stribo
Saturday 30th June 2012, 13:51
P0017 -- ECM-671C -- Camshaft position, exhaust -- High, (I would guess a faulty camshaft position sensor)

Does anyone know where this is, as the inlet sensor's in full view, but can't find the exhaust one.

s_cowen
Sunday 1st July 2012, 09:59
Have you got yr own reader. Im after getting mine done.

Yeh mate got a wifi obd cable which links up to my iPhone & I have a couple of apps which alow me to read & clear only the generic codes & also data log while you drive, I'm normally near Chester every day for work & always carry the cable on me, so if you ever need it give me a shout & can sort something out!

Santa
Sunday 1st July 2012, 10:44
I have a feeling it will be under the engine bracket mount but hopefully someone can confirm that before you remove the bracket

oblark
Sunday 1st July 2012, 11:04
I think this is exhaust camshaft sensor.

graemewelch
Sunday 1st July 2012, 12:25
Yeh mate got a wifi obd cable which links up to my iPhone & I have a couple of apps which alow me to read & clear only the generic codes & also data log while you drive, I'm normally near Chester every day for work & always carry the cable on me, so if you ever need it give me a shout & can sort something out!

Im more towards durham now ( witton gilbert). But can always meet somewear yr passing. Ive just ordered a bluetooth device so hoping thatl work ok with my phone.

960kg
Sunday 1st July 2012, 16:13
O.k., cleared the code, and been out for a blast, it was fine at first, but then the problem returned. :slap: I got home, and plugged the reader back in, and the code has returned. The code is:

P0017 Crankshaft Position Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor B)

but I'm none the wiser, is it a cam sensor, crank sensor, or something totally different. HELP:help::help:

The correlation between the exhaust camshaft sprocket and crankshaft have gone out so far that the control module cannot adjust the adaption anymore so you get the code and should have the light on as well!

You may need an oil change, cambelt jumped a cog, VVT valve on exhaust sprocket gone west. The ECM-643A or 644A (depending on high or low sensor signal) is the Volvo code for your model.

You could try another camshaft sensor but the fault does not point to that!

stribo
Sunday 1st July 2012, 16:22
The correlation between the exhaust camshaft sprocket and crankshaft have gone out so far that the control module cannot adjust the adaption anymore so you get the code and should have the light on as well!

You may need an oil change, cambelt jumped a cog, VVT valve on exhaust sprocket gone west. The ECM-643A or 644A (depending on high or low sensor signal) is the Volvo code for your model.

You could try another camshaft sensor but the fault does not point to that!

So what you're saying is this is a garage job. It had a full service including cambelt and waterpump change.

graemewelch
Sunday 1st July 2012, 16:44
sounds expensive what ever it is. how long since had the cambelt done. might be worth getting it checked just incase have a slack belt and its jumped.

stribo
Sunday 1st July 2012, 16:48
The belt was done about 3 months ago. It sounds like it maybe the VVT valve from what 960kg's saying, as it only plays up after 4000rpm which is when I'm guessing the cam timing should be changing.

oblark
Sunday 1st July 2012, 16:51
sounds expensive what ever it is. how long since had the cambelt done. might be worth getting it checked just incase have a slack belt and its jumped.

If it`s jumped, then this the result.......

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u433/oblark/volvo%20850%20t5/IMAG0238.jpg

Bent valves..........

stribo
Sunday 1st July 2012, 17:43
Yeah, I don't think it's jumped, as it runs perfectly below 4000 rpm.

960kg
Sunday 1st July 2012, 18:36
So what you're saying is this is a garage job. It had a full service including cambelt and waterpump change.

I said what i said quoted from Vadis....i haven`t said it`s a garage job...i quoted to what error code you gave and that is all.

If it`s jumped, then this the result.......

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u433/oblark/volvo%20850%20t5/IMAG0238.jpg

Bent valves..........

If it jumps ONE TOOTH it will not cause damage as the ECU tries to correct it via the VVT....the error code is the result of ithe VVT valve not being able to correct the correlation or degrees to what it should be.

Yeah, I don't think it's jumped, as it runs perfectly below 4000 rpm.

How do you know it it`s jumped or not!!! because as said the control module tries to adapt the position of the exhaust camshaft to the crankshaft.

So it may be able to adjust at lower revs as the amount it is out is adaptable!! but not at 4000revs which is why you get the misfire .......just apply the brain cells and you will arrive at it.

I know what i am talking about other wise i would not be still driving my 2001 S40 1.8 with the VVT gone west for 15,000 miles......i have done every bit of research possible about VVT......but unfortunetly you are ME7 so a different "money pit" ball game.

If my research goes t$t`s up then i may learn something from your problem but another cam sensor may sort it or at worse another VVT unit, but whatever as you only have an error code who know`s what will happen if you leave it??

I am sorry if you don`t like what you hear but i havent` been answering threads on here anymore as i have given up with the site, i only answered yours because i could see the urgency but as usual all the crap starts so in my own opinion do as you desire but i would look at it pronto!

stribo
Saturday 7th July 2012, 14:47
O.k., quick update, the car runs fine when just up to operating temperature, just starts playing up after it's been running a while. My thoughts are; it's not likely to be the cambelt has jumped a tooth, as it would do it whether hot or cold, so I'm guessing the exhaust VVT valve/solenoid is breaking down at high temperature.
So, does anyone know the Volvo part number for the exhaust VVT valve for a 2004 S60R, as I've seen a couple on ebay, but it doesn't specify whether it's for an R or other S60. Also are these just a case of unbolt the old one, and bolt the new one one, or do they need 'setting up'?

graemewelch
Sunday 8th July 2012, 12:58
O.k., quick update, the car runs fine when just up to operating temperature, just starts playing up after it's been running a while. My thoughts are; it's not likely to be the cambelt has jumped a tooth, as it would do it whether hot or cold, so I'm guessing the exhaust VVT valve/solenoid is breaking down at high temperature.
So, does anyone know the Volvo part number for the exhaust VVT valve for a 2004 S60R, as I've seen a couple on ebay, but it doesn't specify whether it's for an R or other S60. Also are these just a case of unbolt the old one, and bolt the new one one, or do they need 'setting up'?

It will be a cambelt off job.

Kingsford G
Sunday 8th July 2012, 13:33
It will be a cambelt off job.

Job is a job,get it done Stribo,not too bad on cambelts either.

stribo
Sunday 16th September 2012, 19:43
Problem has finally been sorted, the VVT unit on the exhaust cam wasn't working properly, new one fitted, and no more problems. I guess it's been going since we bought the car, as it's always seemed laggy between gears, but that's now gone. Looking forward to taking it up the strip again, and seeing what it'll do now. :D

Kingsford G
Sunday 16th September 2012, 19:50
Happy days!!!!!!Glad its all sorted.

Rudeyboy18
Monday 17th September 2012, 16:15
I took the R out last night for a quick blast to the supermarket, and I noticed that in 3rd and 4th gear especially, when I floored it, the turbo spooled up as normal, giving nice strong boost up to about 4000rpm, then hesitated, then boosted again, then hesitated again, then boosted again, it continued doing this all the way up to the redline. Does anyone know what the problem might be, it's as if the wastegate is opening and shutting repeatedly after about 4000 rpm so my thoughts are TCS, or actuator, but not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

I put this exact same problem up on a thread last week for my V70 R. But not one person even replied to me lol. I have literally the same problem and its doin my nut it...... Ive been researching for a week but i think im just going to follow your post and go from there

stribo
Monday 17th September 2012, 21:43
Sorry mate, didn't see your thread. First thing to do is get the fault codes read, I used a generic OBDII reader.

Rudeyboy18
Tuesday 18th September 2012, 09:58
Im on the case at the moment. If a friend hasnt got one i will buy one on ebay. Does it matter which one i buy as long as its OBDII?

stribo
Tuesday 18th September 2012, 10:30
No, any OBDII will do.

M-R-P
Tuesday 18th September 2012, 10:37
If you have an android phone, a £10 for a cheap blutooth obd and £3 for the torque app will do - code reader and loads of realtime extras too :D

V70 Graham
Friday 21st September 2012, 02:23
Glad to see you have the R running 100% again Steve.

LeeT5
Friday 21st September 2012, 02:45

With respect, if the belt had jumped a tooth then the car wouldn't even start and even if it did the timing would be so far out that the car would run rough no matter what the ecu tried to do to correct it. I doubt its a belt issue, more likely oil service (vvt is very sensitive if the oil is cra p), Camshaft sensor is the most likely. Not an uncommon problem. I do know of other V70/S60s that have had to have new camshaft sensors.

LeeT5
Friday 21st September 2012, 02:51
With respect, if the belt had jumped a tooth then the car wouldn't even start and even if it did the timing would be so far out that the car would run rough no matter what the ecu tried to do to correct it. I doubt its a belt issue, more likely oil service (vvt is very sensitive if the oil is cra p), Camshaft sensor is the most likely. Not an uncommon problem. I do know of other V70/S60s that have had to have new camshaft sensors.

Irrelivant now as you've sorted the car. Good show!!