PDA

View Full Version : Crankshaft position sensor (CEL + DSA lights on)

Vinny
Thursday 21st June 2012, 20:11
Hi guys.
My name is Vinny I bought a 00' T4 4 months ago with a bad engine. When lights started popping up like its christmas i just assumed its the bad engine and was going to swap it anyways, so i just scan the codes and cleared them off.
About a month before the swap i had the CEL+DSA light come on and the car wouldnt start. That happened sometime after a timing job done on the car that included the belt, of course, and all the pulleys.
Scanned the codes and got "P0335 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit".

(Bad sensor problem description: Had to turn the key fast from I to III and not stop on II b\c otherwise it just wouldnt let me start AT ALL! And it would start only after 5-10 times i did it and the first few times the sarter would start spinning and let off after half a second but i kept trying until it caught up and turn the engine only for a sec and then th engine died again. after 3-4 times the engine was turned succesfully, the car would start and drive normally) thats on the old engine!

Thats not even the wierd part! Hold tight for this one!

Swapped the engine this week, just got the car today, and guess what?! Still wouldnt start right off!
And of course the CEL+DSA lit up again today!!! YEY for me!
Scanned it with my phone again, same ££££££££££ problem!!! This doesnt make sense! New engine = new sensor.

What could be the problem, i really dont think its the crankshaft sensor, two different engines with the same problem?
Could be ECU? or wiring?
The garage where i did the swap thought it might be the fuel pump but then why would the car start and drive normally?
Im really lost here guys... I already put too much money into this car to throw it away now. too late! BFM!

Please help this misurable-car-broken-life-destroyed bloke.

Thank you!

danny1
Sunday 24th June 2012, 13:34
Hi I got the same problem once every 8 weeks or so but it always starts in the end dsa light comes on and engine management. when I read the codes it comes up crankshaft sensor. Well when the engine turns over for a long time the dsa light can come on as ecu is very sensetive and it doesnt know whats going on. As for the crankshaft sensor it will start in the end as the car has a cam sensor as well if I'm not wrong.
The problem as I know it is that the signal from the cam and crank sensor can interfere with each other so the ecu gets confused hence Volvo sell's a shield for the crankshaft sensor,so the signals don't interfere with each other :)
It cost about £50 from Volvo yes I know the same price as the sensor.
I just reset my codes once every 8 weeks or so a lot cheaper as it costs nothing :)

Vinny
Friday 6th July 2012, 17:21
Problem solved!
Its the Immobilizer!
the CPS is a side effect of many attempts to start the car.
I got the immobilizer fixed and all went away!