PDA

View Full Version : Rica .......high miler?

Col44
Tuesday 20th September 2005, 20:52
Where would one get the RICA treatment :dunce: ,I'm in central Scotland ,anywhere up here ??? Is it really worth getting it done on a motor thats done nigh on 200k ,granted it has been reasonably well maintained (dont know if the turbo has been replaced) .....your opinions please :gossip:
Colin

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 20th September 2005, 22:16
Turbo's usually stop working too well after 140K. It is impossible to say without proper examination as to whether she will take to tuning. IMHO 200K is not really starting from a position of strength. It may well be that it would happily put up with a 280 Map as this is not so strenuous, plus you can continue to use 95 RON.

The harder you tune any car, the more weaknesses you expose. You get closer to reliability tolerances which undoubtably will reduce naturally with age and use. For example, pushing higher levels of boost - to generate more power on a weaker/older piston ring may make it wear out sooner.

I put a larger turbo conversion & custom RICA map on a 855R @ 150K which was happily running the 310BHP map - only to find the results ultimately were not as successful as I would have hoped. I sold it primarily to get something that would go all the way - which is why I now have a C70 @ 80K with the ME7 and manual transmission - simply coz you can get more out of them.

I would start with the stage 0 tune up (as featured in the KB board) and go from there.

My gut feeling is I wouldnt try anything harder than a RICA 280, if at all.

Col44
Tuesday 20th September 2005, 22:53
Cheers Dave, the response I probably expected ,never mind just buying it to stick a toe in this T5 thang not paying much for it.
Once I get hooked I'l maybe get something with less miles and go the whole hog :jaw:

oh whats the KB board :dunce: :troutslap

Cheers Colin

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 20th September 2005, 23:18
Sorry - me and my abreviations - KB = Knowledge Base namely this one...

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23

There is nothing to stop you from trying to tune the 200K cars - but it is less certain that you will get good power returns on your investment. I guess in many ways it is like smoking. There will be some that live to a ripe old age - but most will not. You might have the exception? Only way to do it is to tune it and find out. VT have a 14 day no quibble , return to stock money back thing. There is no guarantee that a 200K car will give you what you want and you have to balance that against the investment.

elliot
Wednesday 21st September 2005, 10:12
i would'nt worry about the mileage,i brought mine with 160,000 on the clock and started tuning it alot, it now has 203,000 onit.I do however do all the work onit myself and it is looked after very very well and it flies,the top end above 5300rpm where they normally fade is very strong.I have moved upto a new 16t but there was nothing wrong with the origianl turbo in terms of performance.I have changed the oil every 5000 since i brought it,its also got great compression across every cylinder.It maybe worth checking it on yours.Has your car got a manual tranny,if so then go for it if its an auto then you may just find yourself with a big bill like many people on this site.

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 21st September 2005, 12:13
i would'nt worry about the mileage,i brought mine with 160,000 on the clock and started tuning it alot, it now has 203,000 onit.

Blimey!!! Does that make you the Highest mileage tuined T5 on here?

x

elliot
Wednesday 21st September 2005, 15:42
maybe and one of the fastest,its abit special though (to me anyway)