PDA

View Full Version : carbon wrap prep

shrekblackR
Thursday 21st June 2012, 10:13
hi guys want to wrap bonnet in carbon , is there any special prep i need to do as the bonnet is very pitted with stone chips , will i have to fill all these first , and what about all the polish on the car will it need flatting down before the wrap goes on cheers guys

M-R-P
Thursday 21st June 2012, 10:34
Yep, get the wax off and fill any big dents. chips probably won't show through the texture of the wrap but seal any exposed metal. A little trick that Graham and I used when we wrapped my roof was to treat it like window tint film and use soapy water and a squeegee. although a roller may be better for c/f. Have a heat gun to hand too.

shrekblackR
Thursday 21st June 2012, 10:41
Yep, get the wax off and fill any big dents. chips probably won't show through the texture of the wrap but seal any exposed metal. A little trick that Graham and I used when we wrapped my roof was to treat it like window tint film and use soapy water and a squeegee. although a roller may be better for c/f. Have a heat gun to hand too.

Cheers dude

V70 Graham
Thursday 21st June 2012, 10:55
.....yep soapy water, squeegee, at LEAST two people.....and sunscreen !

I want a T5
Thursday 21st June 2012, 11:15
I wipe down the surface with IPA prior to laying up the vinyl....it cuts pretty much any waxes off.

I would also get some of the 3m primer to prep any trick surfaces or folds and especially edges as this makes the stuff stick even better and will prevent peeling.

S1mon
Thursday 21st June 2012, 22:20
Although I never actually did it in the end so can't comment from experience, I did toy with wrapping mirrors, bonnet, roof and boot lid on a previous car and got some advice from someone who knows their stuff and he said DO NOT 'wet fit' the carbon vinyl.

mardell100
Friday 6th July 2012, 11:25
Yeah you shouldn't really wet fit as it removes the glue and wont last as long as its intended for.

Rudeyboy18
Saturday 7th July 2012, 16:10
I have a friend who does that sort of thing and the width and length of a v70 bonnet meant that there would need a small joint right down the end of the grill or you slitly heat the wrap and slightly stretch it. Its because the films come ona roll and the width of the roll is what caused that issue. Thought i'd just highlight that too you. Also when he placed some sample on my bonnet it covered the small chips but the big ones i would definately fillin etc as it will ruin the look.