PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Changed - here's how......

JamesT5
Monday 18th June 2012, 19:47
Hi

Ok, so I've been out and changed the radiator coolant with some lovely fresh stuff from Volvo. At less than £10 for 2 litres it was cheaper than Halfords stuff. For those who know how to do this blindfolded I apologise, I'm not teaching you to suck eggs but for those of you who are like me and really haven't got a clue what we're doing, I hope it helps. Here's how I did it;

Make sure the engine is cool or cold, the handbrake is on the car in gear. This will prevent burns, scalds and slightly more importantly, getting run over!

Everything you need;

1x 10mm Spanner (to remove and refit trim)

1x Torx 25 piece (to remove and refit trim)

1x 7mm Spanner (to remove and refit radiator hose)

2x 1L Bottles/Containers of Volvo Engine Coolant

An old large washing up bowl, a large bucket and a clean large plastic container (i.e. old water bottle)

Cold Tap water for dilution of Coolant to 50/50 plus about 10 litres + for
radiator flushing

A Ground sheet and some cushions to rest on, (unless you have shagpile
carpet on your drive!)

Now how I did it;

1) Undo and take off the coolant resevoir screw cap (top offside of the engine bay). Next, under the front bumper, you need to remove the plastic shield. It's held in chiefly by 2 x 10mm bolts and 2 x Torx 25 screws, plus 2 clips that clip on to the front bumper from the inside. You need to remove the Torx 25 screws first, then the smaller plastic shields on the side. Then the 10mm bolts are located up in to the engine bay a bit....

Torx 25 screw on the bottom of the trim (one each side)

This is the location of the 10mm bolt. This is the view looking upwards towards the engine bay from the side of the big piece of plastic shield. You won't be able to get to this until you've removed the smaller triangular trim.....

Then you have to wriggle free the large plastic shield. It's secured in by two clips that are located roughly in line with the front fog lamps. This bit is a bit fiddly but stick with it....

Large plastic shield removed...

Now, on the left hand side of the car attached to the radiator right at the bottom is the lower radiator hose. The reason you take the shielding off is to make getting to this a lot easier as you will now see.

Now take this hose off but be careful because coolant will come flying out of here when you take the hose off. Loosen the Jubilee clip using the 7mm spanner. Then slide the old washing up bowl underneath, pull off the hose and stand back...quickly! Watch your eyes as it rushes out like there's no tomorrow.

Here's the Jubilee Clip attaching the radiator hose (left hand side of the photo).....

Coolant Drained.......

Ok, so now you'll see lots of very green murky and stinky coolant in your washing up bowl and probably all over your driveway. The next step is optional but I kind if think it's a good idea to do this as I'm a bit fussy.....

Empty your old coolant in to a larger bucket. Put the now empty again washing up bowl back under the radiator hose area where it was before and then you need to get some clean cold water and pour it in to the coolant resevoir tank (the one you took the cap off).

Within a few seconds, you'll hear water pouring out of the radiator hose again in to your old washing up bowl. This has flushed out a lot of any old coolant residue. Ok, that sounds a bit unnecessary but I'm just fussy and I like to make sure I'm putting new coolant in to a clean system.

After that's finished soaking your driveway again, get back down on the floor and reattach the radiator hose, ensuring it's firmly back on the radiator and then do up the Jubilee clip tightly.

Picture showing the Jubilee clip being reattached. Ths is actually a better photo than the one above showing the location of the radiator hose and the clip.....

Now the good bit - the new coolant! You need to use 2 x 1 Litre bottles of genuine Volvo Engine Coolant/Antifreeze...

Add 1 bottle of the antifreeze/coolant and then wait a couple of minutes and check for any leaks. Assuming you did the jubilee clip up correctly and put the hose on nicely, the whole thing should be fine and then you can go on and pour the second bottle in.

Next, fill up the engine coolant resevoir to the maximum line with cold tap water, or if you really want to get picky, use posh distilled water. Top tip here, you can use your now empty Volvo Coolant bottles to pour water in to the coolant tank. This means zero waste as it flushes the bottles out at the same time with any excess coolant left in the bottle.

Turn on the engine but leave the lid off the resevoir. Get the engine hot, apply the throttle and bring the revs up to around 2500 - 3000 rpm. This will help work out any air trapped in the radiator system. As the air escapes through the path of least resistance (that'll be your coolant resevoir with no lid), the coolant level will drop. As it drops, top it up with more cold water to maximum and continue this process until the coolant stops dropping down. Then most or all the air is out of the system and you're all done!

Replace the screw cap on the resevoir, making sure it's tight and on securely.

Then replace the shielding and trim under the car in the reverse of how you took it off. Simples!

So there we are, one engine coolant/antifreeze change a Main Stealer will charge you about half an hours labour for.

Regards

James

M-R-P
Monday 18th June 2012, 20:07
nice write up mate. looks much faster than using the drain tap. took me ages when i did mine lol.

JamesT5
Monday 18th June 2012, 21:01
nice write up mate. looks much faster than using the drain tap. took me ages when i did mine lol.

Oh, it drains in about 30 seconds flat if you pull off the hose, mate. Either way you have to take off that plastic shield so pulling off the lower radiator hose just speeds the job up. :D

Regards

James

V70 Graham
Monday 18th June 2012, 21:41
A very good write up and pictures, thank you.

LeeT5
Monday 18th June 2012, 23:58
Good write up, shouldn't it be on the 'How to' section thou?

Q. Does the P26 radiator not have a drain plug like the P1/2/3 did?

NOTE

Just draining the radiator and associated hoses will not remove 100% of the coolant, so adding two neat bottles of anti-freeze then topping up with water will not get you a 50/50 mix. Infact your more likely to make the mixture to rich which has a very detrimental affect on the coolants ability to do it's job. Coolant is not only a lubricant for the water pump and an anti freeze for the winter but it also raises the boiling point of water (in a 50/50 solution) by about 8*C. Too much antifreeze and this boiling point is lowered and the coolants ability to remove heat (thermal transfer) is greatly deminished!

Assuming there is still 30% of coolant remaining in the engine and pipework the correct way to add antifreeze to your cooling system would be 'pre mix' the solution. Assuming the remaining 30% is already at 50/50 ratio, premixing will give you the correct final 50/50 mix. It is better, also, to use Distilled water rather than ordinary tap water.

Can somebody confirm if there is also a smaller drain plug on the engine. I believe it is above one of the driveshafts??

Good effort James but be mindful of the above.

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 19th June 2012, 00:09
Tthe only thing I would consider would be, change the jubilee clip. I've heard stories of the bottom one failing at speed.

Maybe try to find some nice stainless steel one from somewhere.

LeeT5
Tuesday 19th June 2012, 00:27
Tthe only thing I would consider would be, change the jubilee clip. I've heard stories of the bottom one failing at speed.

Maybe try to find some nice stainless steel one from somewhere.

Last time i checked, oe Jubilees were stainless! A good point thou, i too would have replaced them with new ones...oe of course! They tend to be wider and a better fit.

JamesT5
Tuesday 19th June 2012, 00:31
Good write up, shouldn't it be on the 'How to' section thou?

Q. Does the P26 radiator not have a drain plug like the P1/2/3 did?

NOTE

Just draining the radiator and associated hoses will not remove 100% of the coolant, so adding two neat bottles of anti-freeze then topping up with water will not get you a 50/50 mix. Infact your more likely to make the mixture to rich which has a very detrimental affect on the coolants ability to do it's job. Coolant is not only a lubricant for the water pump and an anti freeze for the winter but it also raises the boiling point of water (in a 50/50 solution) by about 8*C. Too much antifreeze and this boiling point is lowered and the coolants ability to remove heat (thermal transfer) is greatly deminished!

Assuming there is still 30% of coolant remaining in the engine and pipework the correct way to add antifreeze to your cooling system would be 'pre mix' the solution. Assuming the remaining 30% is already at 50/50 ratio, premixing will give you the correct final 50/50 mix. It is better, also, to use Distilled water rather than ordinary tap water.

Can somebody confirm if there is also a smaller drain plug on the engine. I believe it is above one of the driveshafts??

Good effort James but be mindful of the above.

Tap water is quite adequate for the job, I know that much as I checked with a Volvo technician when I was at the garage buying the coolant. :D

As for draining the system down, as I took off the bottom hose and gravity pulled down I would say at least 95% of the coolant from the system. This is backed up by the fact that when I flushed the system down from the top, the water that came out was almost clear and therefore most of the coolant residue had been cleared out.

Removing the pipe was the recommendation from my local Volvo dealer so I was inclined to follow the advice of the trained technicians. ;)

Saying that, everyone has their own ways of doing the job so what ever works for each person really.

I did think the jubilee clip looked a little rusty and to be honest the head broke off when I finshed tightening it so that will have to be drilled off next time the coolant is changed and a new clip put on.

Regards

James

LeeT5
Tuesday 19th June 2012, 00:47
Tap water is quite adequate for the job, I know that much as I checked with a Volvo technician when I was at the garage buying the coolant. :D

I never said it wasn't, i was just stating the fact that its better to use distilled water. However, tap water will be fine and in most cases everyone uses tap water.

As for draining the system down, as I took off the bottom hose and gravity pulled down I would say at least 95% of the coolant from the system. This is backed up by the fact that when I flushed the system down from the top, the water that came out was almost clear and therefore most of the coolant residue had been cleared out.

Trust me, it won't be anywhere near 95%. Not forgetting that your thermostat will be closed and you'll have water trapped in coolant galleries and hoses.

Removing the pipe was the recommendation from my local Volvo dealer so I was inclined to follow the advice of the trained technicians. ;)

I think 21 years in the trade as a qualified technician more than qualifies me to pass judgement. At least you did follow the tech's advice. Believe me when i say, thousand's wouldn't!

Saying that, everyone has their own ways of doing the job so what ever works for each person really.

There is only one way and that's the proper and correct way, not make it up as you go along. (Not commenting on your method, just saying).

I did think the jubilee clip looked a little rusty and to be honest the head broke off when I finshed tightening it so that will have to be drilled off next time the coolant is changed and a new clip put on.

You won't need to drill it. Just use a decent pair of side cutters and twist the thing off. Trust me, done it hundreds of times :wink:

Regards

James

:wink:

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 19th June 2012, 00:48
Those clips don't look stainless to me... A good Chandlers or boat supplies store will stock marine grade units.

LeeT5
Tuesday 19th June 2012, 00:49
Those clips don't look stainless to me... A good Chandlers or boat supplies store will stock marine grade units.

The ones on mine are all stainless.

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 19th June 2012, 01:05
The ones on mine are all stainless.

Congratulations.... :D

stephenevans99
Tuesday 19th June 2012, 06:37
Good write up.....I'm always very nervous tightening up jubilee clips with a ratchet & socket when it comes to radiator outlets. Unless you've got built in torque settings in your elbow, a little too much could end up cracking the plastic outlet.

Personally James, I'd replace that broken jubilee clip with a new one now, just for peace of mind. Obviously you should be able to change 'em over without having to loose any coolant.

Steve

d2k
Tuesday 19th June 2012, 07:32
great thread.........

once im in my new house i'll be taking my laptop out to the drive & following this step by step.

thankyou!!:smile:

M-R-P
Tuesday 19th June 2012, 08:17
Just don't dump 4L of coolant on it tho - put the laptop somewhere safe and don't confuse it with a washing-up bowl lol.

d2k
Tuesday 19th June 2012, 16:06
Just don't dump 4L of coolant on it tho - put the laptop somewhere safe and don't confuse it with a washing-up bowl lol.

lol........ funny thing, when my mobile mech came out to change my dead alt i pulled the 'how-to' up on the laptop for him (as he was a volvo virgin), stuck the laptop on top of the engine & the thing slid down between the turbo housing & bulkhead, got coated in crap!!

wife NOT IMPRESSED!! :help:

JamesT5
Tuesday 19th June 2012, 16:08
lol........ Funny thing, when my mobile mech came out to change my dead alt i pulled the 'how-to' up on the laptop for him (as he was a volvo virgin), stuck the laptop on top of the engine & the thing slid down between the turbo housing & bulkhead, got coated in crap!!

Wife not impressed!! :help:

Lol

LeeT5
Wednesday 20th June 2012, 10:17

I don't think speed has anything to do with it mate. They come off when not fitted correctly or if over tightened. The pressure from the cooling system comes from heat and expansion not from flow of coolant due to the water pump rotating faster, a common misconseption.

It is always good practice to fit new jubilee clips, after all, the pence that they cost cannot be argued against the £1000's of pounds of damage that can cause if one were to come off!!

JamesT5
Wednesday 20th June 2012, 20:36
I've just seen a V70 T5 on ebay and in the description it says there is an invoice for £99 showing a change of Antifreeze. I can't believe a garage would charge £99 for what I did at home for £10. What a rip off!

I won't post the link here in case I get in trouble for posting 'sales ads' links here. But if you want to look the numbers 251084852006 might come in handy when searching. ;)

£99 for a coolant change though, still can't believe that!

Regards

James

LeeT5
Thursday 21st June 2012, 00:33
I've just seen a V70 T5 on ebay and in the description it says there is an invoice for £99 showing a change of Antifreeze. I can't believe a garage would charge £99 for what I did at home for £10. What a rip off!

I won't post the link here in case I get in trouble for posting 'sales ads' links here. But if you want to look the numbers 251084852006 might come in handy when searching. ;)

Regards

James

You may well have done it for a tenner but it cost you an hour of your time. £99 will be a good price considering cost of antifreeze, labour, disposal of waste fluid and VAT.

stephenevans99
Thursday 21st June 2012, 06:56

Regards

James

Get off eBay and change that broken clip !! ;)

JamesT5
Thursday 21st June 2012, 09:13
Get off eBay and change that broken clip !! ;)

Lol :beer: :B_thumb: