PDA

View Full Version : V70 T5 P2 Steering Wheel upgrade

Paris6876
Monday 18th June 2012, 00:38
Evening all...

Thinking about an upgrade to my steering wheel in my 2001 V70 T5 - I like the 3 spoke R wheels.

Just wondering if an S60R steering wheel would fit; whether anyone's tried it and what mods (if any) are needed?

If it's a ball ache... Please convince me to not bother!

Still a relative newbie, so go easy on me!

Cheers,

Stu

d2k
Monday 18th June 2012, 03:44
Evening all...

Thinking about an upgrade to my steering wheel in my 2001 V70 T5 - I like the 3 spoke R wheels.

Just wondering if an S60R steering wheel would fit; whether anyone's tried it and what mods (if any) are needed?

If it's a ball ache... Please convince me to not bother!

Still a relative newbie, so go easy on me!

Cheers,

Stu

it'll certainly fit..... the problem you'll have is the airbag, changing the wheel will render the airbag inactive & throw an SRS warning on the dash, i think its a dealer coding job.

had you had an S60 with 3 spoke standard wheel you could transfer the whole airbag assembly over from existing to new, but the V70 is 4 spoke & thus wont fit the 'R' wheel.

Yosser
Monday 18th June 2012, 10:01
it'll certainly fit..... the problem you'll have is the airbag, changing the wheel will render the airbag inactive & throw an SRS warning on the dash, i think its a dealer coding job.

had you had an S60 with 3 spoke standard wheel you could transfer the whole airbag assembly over from existing to new, but the V70 is 4 spoke & thus wont fit the 'R' wheel.

Just disconnect the battery before removing your wheel, that way you won't get an airbag error.

I swapped the wheel in my v70 for one out of an s80 without any problems.

If you do trigger a code it can be cleared with vida/dice.

M-R-P
Monday 18th June 2012, 10:09
Providing it doesn't go off in your face when you disconnect the wires lol. :)

d2k
Monday 18th June 2012, 10:29
Just disconnect the battery before removing your wheel, that way you won't get an airbag error.

I swapped the wheel in my v70 for one out of an s80 without any problems.

If you do trigger a code it can be cleared with vida/dice.

i see...... i thought the airbag itself is coded, if this is the case i can put thr 'R' steering wheel back on my list....

Providing it doesn't go off in your face when you disconnect the wires lol. :)

yeah, lol...... its like playing with a stick of dynamite right in your face

M-R-P
Monday 18th June 2012, 10:31
If you change your interior, the Haynes book of porkie-pies says to make sure there's nobody in the car when you reconnect the battery in case the airbags deploy! :eek:

Harvey
Monday 18th June 2012, 10:45
I got a brand new steering wheel for a v50 guy told me it was for a s60r it's not.

siamblue
Monday 18th June 2012, 17:32
I have a very good condition 3 spoke S60 V70 leather steering wheel here,with the comms buttons.wanting £25 for it.

Porcine_Aviator
Monday 18th June 2012, 17:35
If you change your interior, the Haynes book of porkie-pies says to make sure there's nobody in the car when you reconnect the battery in case the airbags deploy! :eek:

So you weren't in yours then ?:)

M-R-P
Monday 18th June 2012, 17:44
So you weren't in yours then ?:)

Luckily, the battery is in the back - where there's no airbags :) TBH, I was still ready to run lol.