PDA

View Full Version : Top tip!

S1mon
Sunday 17th June 2012, 20:34
After being a bit lazy and not masking up my black mouldings during detailing I was left with AWFUL white compound marks on them and I've tried so many things without success. Today in a last ditch effort I tried neat Fairy liquid on a toothbrush still to no avail. I looked through my box of products and came across Muc Off bike cleaner. Sprayed on, circular scrubbing motion with a nail brush...WIN!!! It's completely removed all polish from the stippled trim and restored it to its original state! This won't restore faded or sun damaged trim, I will probably plastic dye mine sometime to do that. For now, I'm happy I don't want to punch myself in the face every time I walk to my car and seeing white trims! Ergh!

graemewelch
Sunday 17th June 2012, 23:20
nice tip. might have to get some. ive got a few lazy marks to

imp75
Sunday 17th June 2012, 23:45
Good work, glad you got the plastics sorted

S1mon
Monday 18th June 2012, 07:26
My before photos are on my SLR and I've not uploaded them yet, but here's a couple of afters I snapped on my iPhone as it started raining.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u164/sipowell85/964e02c1.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u164/sipowell85/96bc867a.jpg

Justin
Monday 18th June 2012, 09:46
I'm sure there are posts about this from ages ago, where using a hairdryer on it brings them back up without the use of products :)

S1mon
Monday 18th June 2012, 09:50
I'm sure there are posts about this from ages ago, where using a hairdryer on it brings them back up without the use of products :)

Yea, read about that before. It's supposed to revive faded trim but it's not going to remove the polish / compound that I so foolishly covered them in. I think you need to use a heat gun rather than a hair dryer but you'd have to be bloody careful not to go 'that bit too far'!

Porcine_Aviator
Monday 18th June 2012, 09:50

Yep you're right Justin. It works on some but not on others. :)

Nice job by the way.