PDA

View Full Version : anyone know much about vvt?

leeboy
Sunday 17th June 2012, 12:10
as some of you may know im having problems trying to find out a horrible noise on the car which starts around 3500-4000. at first it was thought to be a boost leak but it appears there is ALOT of gas coming from the exhaust. was suggested that it could be exhaust by a guy who tunes cars and since i had a powerflow put on i thought this may be to blame so i removed it and ran the car without the rear section. when i did this the "jet engine" noise was louder so its not the new exhaust but i was thinking is it possible that the vvt isn't setup/working properly and is opening the exhaust valves too late and the inlet valves open causing boost to flow staight through causing alot of air to flow through the system.

any help would be great as this is bugging me now.

cheers

shepbomb
Sunday 17th June 2012, 12:35
Im having problems with my vvt too mate, Do You have any engine management lights up???

leeboy
Sunday 17th June 2012, 16:12
no engine lights. just used torque app and it seems to be running at 20 psi. had a remap at hlm. is that normal?

LeeT5
Friday 29th June 2012, 17:35
Can you post a video of the noise mate? Make sure you use a good quality camera. Iphone or android will be fine as these are HD.

jardon
Friday 29th June 2012, 22:00
If you have access to VIDA/DiCE you can monitor requested versus actual exhaust cam angle. That would give you a start on the VVT function question - not sure whether VVT would be the cause of such symptoms though. Torque is innaccurate for boost as it does not measure manifold or intake pressure - just estimates based on MAF etc. Having said that my stage 1 MTE map made 19 psi so any estimate/calculation on your car is probably close - don't rely on it though.

LeeT5
Sunday 1st July 2012, 09:09
If you have access to VIDA/DiCE you can monitor requested versus actual exhaust cam angle. That would give you a start on the VVT function question - not sure whether VVT would be the cause of such symptoms though. Torque is innaccurate for boost as it does not measure manifold or intake pressure - just estimates based on MAF etc. Having said that my stage 1 MTE map made 19 psi so any estimate/calculation on your car is probably close - don't rely on it though.

Good show! I would also say that the viscosity grade of engine oil is also crucial in a VVT engine.

leeboy
Sunday 1st July 2012, 17:38
took it to a guy i know and he seems to think its the exhaust system. i give up now and im at my end with §§§§ing about and spending money and not getting anywhere. could get a standard system or different stainless but once again i could be spending and it not be it. cheers for all your help guys.

jardon
Sunday 1st July 2012, 18:10
took it to a guy i know and he seems to think its the exhaust system. i give up now and im at my end with §§§§ing about and spending money and not getting anywhere. could get a standard system or different stainless but once again i could be spending and it not be it. cheers for all your help guys.

You could also ask this question on T5D5 and/or VOC as you would expose the problem to a greater number of P2 owners. I put my trust in Tim Williams (Coalville) or MRG (Chippenham). Both are very capable and knowledgeable - neither will guess at a diagnosis or throw unnecessary parts at it. Don't just buy an exhaust and hope for the best - that might be the answer but unless you are certain or have money to throw at it I would be get the opinion of an expert.

deathrider311271
Sunday 1st July 2012, 19:04
i totaly agree with Jardon, Tim Williams is the man you need to speak too.

glock19
Wednesday 11th July 2012, 02:01
I doubt it's the VVT. The system is not like a V-TEC which uses another cam lifter but at higher RPM, the oil pressure which is higher enters this valve and cause the cam shaft to "offset" the duration instead. The electrical solenoid is just to hold the valve open or to reset the oil back into the sump. If the VVT is faulty, it'll rob you of power and a CEL will be lighted.

A simple way to check exhaust leaks will be to have the engine running, get a friend to plug up the rear tip with a cloth (not too long, about 5 secs) and at the same time, listen to any leaks in the system. After 5 secs, remove the cloth (to release the exhaust gas & heat) and try again until the exhuast leaks are detected / confirmed.