PDA

View Full Version : Cruise control clutch sensor/oil loss

Nick0
Saturday 16th June 2012, 12:27
A two part question for you knowledgeable people out there -

When I bought my 2006 S60R in October 2011 I replaced the clutch position sensor as the cruise control wasn't working. This replacement part has now failed also and has quite a bit of clutch/brake fluid on it. I gather the (poxy!) slave cylinder is prone to failure. So, my questions are;

1. The car has only done 47K miles - should I leave it until it fails (- I recall on the Volvo forum one member saying he put a rag over the top of his sensor to catch the fluid!)?
2. What will Volvo charge me to replace their (faulty/not fit for purpose) slave cylinder?

Also, I had to top up the engine oil with about a litre - the car doesn't drop or burn oil and there is no mayonaise in the coolant - should I be concerned about anything in particular or just put this down to normal consumption and possibly the dealer not putting enough in when it was serviced just after I bought it?

Many thanks in advance as always.

Harvey
Saturday 16th June 2012, 13:15
Take it back to the workshop that fitted it as you will have 1 year on parts labour.
If you fitted it take it back to parts supplier.
As oil loss what sort of mileage have you done since last oil change/topup?
Hi I think to change the brake master is a bit of a big job .

Nick0
Saturday 16th June 2012, 15:17
Take it back to the workshop that fitted it as you will have 1 year on parts labour.
If you fitted it take it back to parts supplier.
As oil loss what sort of mileage have you done since last oil change/topup?
Hi I think to change the brake master is a bit of a big job .

Thanks for the reply Harvey. Alas I got it from FRF and fitted it myself, Mike at FRF said that if there is any brake fluid on it then Volvo won't accept it as a warranty claim. Predictable bit of responsibility dodging!

I've done less than 2,000 miles since the oil change.

LiamT4
Saturday 16th June 2012, 15:23
You shouldn't be needing to top up with a litre of oil after 2000miles, not on a car thats only done 47k.

Maybe they didn't put the correct amount in.

Nick0
Saturday 16th June 2012, 15:25
You shouldn't be needing to top up with a litre of oil after 2000miles, not on a car thats only done 47k.

Maybe they didn't put the correct amount in.

My thoughts entirely - thanks Liam

LiamT4
Saturday 16th June 2012, 15:30
It doesn't definatly mean theres a problem though.

Keep checking it, if it is using a litre every 2000miles, it shouldn't be long before the level drops again.

Nick0
Saturday 16th June 2012, 15:33
It doesn't definatly mean theres a problem though.

Keep checking it, if it is using a litre every 2000miles, it shouldn't be long before the level drops again.

Yep. Good point. Problem is my drive is steeply sloped so I can't get a proper gauge on the oil level. I'll keep an eye on it though. Thanks again. Any knowledge of the clutch slave cylinder questions?

LiamT4
Saturday 16th June 2012, 15:35
Yep. Good point. Problem is my drive is steeply sloped so I can't get a proper gauge on the oil level. I'll keep an eye on it though. Thanks again. Any knowledge of the clutch slave cylinder questions?

Same problem as me, i usually check mine at work where its flat.

I have no knowledge of clutch issues, never had a manual car! lol

burchi
Saturday 16th June 2012, 16:26
A two part question for you knowledgeable people out there -

When I bought my 2006 S60R in October 2011 I replaced the clutch position sensor as the cruise control wasn't working. This replacement part has now failed also and has quite a bit of clutch/brake fluid on it. I gather the (poxy!) slave cylinder is prone to failure. So, my questions are;

1. The car has only done 47K miles - should I leave it until it fails (- I recall on the Volvo forum one member saying he put a rag over the top of his sensor to catch the fluid!)?
2. What will Volvo charge me to replace their (faulty/not fit for purpose) slave cylinder?

Also, I had to top up the engine oil with about a litre - the car doesn't drop or burn oil and there is no mayonaise in the coolant - should I be concerned about anything in particular or just put this down to normal consumption and possibly the dealer not putting enough in when it was serviced just after I bought it?

Many thanks in advance as always.

On the 1st issue, yes you are correct.. Oil/fluid appearing on the sensor indicates slave cylinder failure from memory. The slave on these cars is internal so, to replace is a gearbox out job. Bet you wish you hadn't asked now!

Lovely cars, painful when they go wrong with things like this though.

Good luck

Harvey
Sunday 17th June 2012, 11:45
Have a look at the psv valve ,to check it go for a 20-30 drive stop leave engine running pull oil dip stick if you see smoke/steam then this can cause the engine to burn oil .