PDA

View Full Version : Which BCS ?

oblark
Thursday 14th June 2012, 10:25
Which BCS is best to use on a 96 850, the 850 one or the P2 V70 one ?

M-R-P
Thursday 14th June 2012, 11:08
I fitted a P2 unit to Dalhousie's 850 and it worked fine. The P2 ones are supposed to be more reliable too.

960kg
Thursday 14th June 2012, 11:36
Up to 1997 the round type on the 850 was replaced with the rectangle type as on the Ph 1 V70 T5

I replaced mine with the -1999 one Part Number 9155936 which must be pre ME7 or VVT.

You can see the numbers for the other years and they have different working pressures.

I only buy new parts from Volvo for engines not 2nd hand pay my money then move on........

It cost me £53 but i have seen them on eBay for £38 so at the end of the day it`s up to you what you do.

But if the cheaper one has problems you will end up paying again!

I had boost fluttering problems so fitted Volvo boost pipes from the compressor housing to the actuator (not blue silicone) and this new solenoid cured it all, the difference was amazing, money worth spent.......but then it depends your situation before you spend out?

Hope this helps?

kmb
Tuesday 7th April 2015, 23:01
Thread revival - I was just looking at potentially replacing my 1996 850 T5 Boost Control Solenoid as a serviceable item (car has done 137k on the original), I chanced upon this thread and was wondering how the later 'square type' actually fitted?

Is it a direct replacement onto my 850 for the existing cylinder type one, or do I have to do some meddling to make it fit?

I'm not after any aftermarket version, such as IPD etc.

Additionally where do people buy these from at the best price?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge :)

kmb
Wednesday 8th April 2015, 12:49
Is there anyone who has performed the BCS change above i.e. fitting the later part to an 850, who could answer the questions?

V70 Graham
Wednesday 8th April 2015, 13:39
I fitted a P2 unit to Dalhousie's 850 and it worked fine. The P2 ones are supposed to be more reliable too.

My computers bust.....it says M-R-P actually posted :saythat:

kmb
Wednesday 8th April 2015, 13:56
...But it was in June 2012 Graham :lol:

V70 Graham
Wednesday 8th April 2015, 14:06
...But it was in June 2012 Graham :lol:

Duh......

Ignore me, I was up at 0300

Saaamon
Wednesday 8th April 2015, 15:32
Is there anyone who has performed the BCS change above i.e. fitting the later part to an 850, who could answer the questions?

850 bcs have been superseded now. I'm using a p1 v70 item and just made my own mounting bracket, but you could probably just source a bracket if you wanted. Ordered mine from Frf Volvo, think it was about £60.

kmb
Wednesday 8th April 2015, 15:34
For anyone that's interested, the 850 cylinder type BCS part is now discontinued, however I found there is a 'OEM Quality' replacement made by Pierburg.

In the UK this same component seems to cost around £55 delivered, for some bizarre reason I can get it here in France (I'm working in Lyon) for €20. Now ordered, result!

The Pierburg part is reference 7.21681.51.0.

Here's the link as I'm sure it would still work out cheaper delivered to the UK if anyone is looking to change the BCS on their 850 T5.

http://www.piecesauto.com/fr/recherche/1.html?reference=PIERBURG+7.21681.51.0

I shall be changing it in a couple of weeks as part of my ongoing refresh of the car, any issues and the old one can be retained so I'll report back :)

kmb
Wednesday 8th April 2015, 15:35
Thanks Saaamon - It was pretty much what I just posted, but I took so long to type it you beat me to it!

This is what it looks like:

http://www.samcar.pl/imgparts/21/2169169.jpg

kmb
Thursday 9th April 2015, 13:00
Ahhh bummer - The original round 850 Pierburg part is also no longer available, I just received a refund telling me this :(

I'll go ahead and buy the Pierburg equivalent of the square Volvo part 9155936 (shown above by 960kg), this is reference 7.22240.09.0.

Pierburg information: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-boost-pressure-valve-c70-s70-s80-v70-9155936

This part was nearly €30 from piecesauto.com, which is £21, so slightly more expensive.

Saaamon, if you have a photo of your bracket, that would be helpful?

If anyone else has pictures of how they mounted the later square BCS valve in their 850, these are also much appreciated :)

kmb
Tuesday 28th April 2015, 17:24
Quick update on this topic, I have the new Pierburg BCS as shown above, it's not yet fitted but will be in a month or so when I return to the UK, seems high quality!

I did replace the two vaccum to BCS pipes, both the actuator to BCS (Yellow) and the MAF to BCS (blue), although the third one between the turbo and BCS (Red) looked a pain so will be due for change when I fit the new BCS and have some more time available.

Worth mentioning that the vacuum line to the actuator (Yellow) was a complete mess, no holes as such but completely degraded and crumbling when touched. The good news is that even after just replacing these two pipes; my boost gauge is slightly higher on max boost (about 90% of the gauge). So I think the last difficult pipe (Red) which also looks in poor condition, plus the new BCS, may get me to 100% gauge boost.

Will report back.

If anyone has some great tips for the nasty vacuum pipe replacement i.e. BCS to Turbo (Red), that would be great, I think it will definitely require the turbo air inlet pipe being removed?

Saaamon
Tuesday 28th April 2015, 17:46
KMB, if you see my project thread there mite a picture there, it's only a rectangular piece of plastic with holes in which I attached the the airbox on using the orignal holes. It's not pretty but is effective.

As for that vac hose remove the air intake pipe from the airbox to turbo and just get your hand in there, there's no trick I know of.

kmb
Tuesday 28th April 2015, 18:06
Thanks - For the last vacuum hose, did you get under the car and work upwards, or was it bonnet up and down through the top of the engine bay, Saaamon?

Biff
Tuesday 28th April 2015, 22:33
That's a cracking bit of discount. Think I will buy one as a spare for that money. Lol

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 28th April 2015, 23:23
That's a cracking bit of discount. Think I will buy one as a spare for that money. Lol

think there may be a few doing the same, group buy ???

Saaamon
Wednesday 29th April 2015, 02:36
I went through the top, you could probably get a good view from underneath but can just do it by feel. I've got quite girly sized hands so wasn't to bad for me. It doesn't take long to remove the airbox and intake hose and will give you a load more room.

kmb
Wednesday 29th April 2015, 09:05
Saaamon - Thanks again, I think my sausage fingers might struggle but I'm looking forward to getting that last vacuum hose replaced.

I should be fitting the new Pierburg BCS on my UK return 22nd May, it's currently an ornament in a box on my French kitchen table! I will report back to this thread once fitted.

MoleT-5R, not sure if you want to wait until my one is fitted and tested, but I'll get a direct link to the part. Price is an absolute bargain with the current sliding Euro exchange rate, I picked up from their depot only about 4 miles from my French house!

kmb
Wednesday 29th April 2015, 09:11
Here's the direct link (you won't believe how difficult it was to find in my French dictionary) :lol:

http://www.piecesauto.com/fr/recherche/1.html?reference=Soupape%2C+r%C3%A9aspiration%2Fco ntr%C3%B4le+des+gaz+d%27%C3%A9chappement+PIERBURG+ 7.22240.09.0

http://www.piecesauto.com/fr/soupape-reaspiration-controle-des-gaz-d-echappement/pierburg-7-22240-09-0/1137.1183118.html

€28.85 reduced from €51.60, so at today's exchange rate that's £20.61, plus whatever postage is levied to get it UK side. Proper bargain!

Biff
Wednesday 29th April 2015, 11:13
think there may be a few doing the same, group buy ???

I'm in Adrian, wonder if we can get them cheaper if we order a few?
I'm paranoid after mine failed on my saffy, they dont like 27psi on standard rods. :)

kmb
Wednesday 29th April 2015, 12:11
I would have expected a saving from the delivery charge for a larger order, that's if they'll sell and deliver direct to UK - If not then maybe I need to start an import business :lol:

I just tried a test run with an order of 10 and the €2 charge for a single delivery to a local pick up depot remains €2 total, so technically you do save a little for bulk orders.

kmb
Monday 25th May 2015, 13:05
Just to report back that all new vacuum lines are now in place (many thanks to Kingsford for the awkward to reach ones), also fitted the Piersburg replacement BCS from the later model...

Great news full boost now available nearly end of the white gauge, more tests to follow but very happy!

kmb
Wednesday 10th June 2015, 17:08
I'm happy after further testing to confirm that the new BCS has helped find the missing boost, particularly in conjunction with new vacuum pipes, all the way to the end of the gauge now on full load/boost, 15psi, as mapped by Oblark on M4.4 in an 850 T5 1996.

This was with the Pierburg later square BCS as mentioned in this thread, for mounting I used one of those sticky pads with a flat anchor point that a cable tie goes through, this is stuck on the underside of the airbox and easily loops around the square BCS keeping it mounted tight on the lower front edge of the airbox. The original BCS and hanger has been unscrewed and removed to keep things tidy.

I'm back in France now so can't get any pictures of the 850 back in Suffolk, hopefully the description helps paint the picture.

jdavis
Sunday 8th January 2017, 20:14
Thanks for the detailed update!