PDA

View Full Version : catch tanks

JT
Thursday 14th June 2012, 08:24
I am having problems with the catch tank set up.
I have removed the pcv,blanked off the sump entry. camcover and block entries have been tee-ed together and piped into the tank,the other pipe from the tank is just to atmosphere.
I'm getting oil coming out of the catch tank??????

It has been suggested that i use the drain plug to recirc the oil from the catch tank back into the sump which I can do, but I am worried there may some underline problem as to why there is so much pressure at the catch tank,enough to spit the oil back out!?

any ideas anyone??

JT

M-R-P
Thursday 14th June 2012, 08:41
The pcv on a P2 has a small pressure feed from the inlet manifold, a banjo bolt with a small coolant pipe round it with a small pipe teed into the o/s top connection on the original catch tank. maybe that's doing it (I don't know if you have an ME7 manifold but I think the 850 mani has it too) I suppose it depends on how much of the original pcv you have left.

oblark
Thursday 14th June 2012, 09:18
I am having problems with the catch tank set up.
I have removed the pcv,blanked off the sump entry. camcover and block entries have been tee-ed together and piped into the tank,the other pipe from the tank is just to atmosphere.
I'm getting oil coming out of the catch tank??????

It has been suggested that i use the drain plug to recirc the oil from the catch tank back into the sump which I can do, but I am worried there may some underline problem as to why there is so much pressure at the catch tank,enough to spit the oil back out!?

any ideas anyone??

JT

Is the pipe that goes to atmosphere open or do you have a filter on the end ?

claymore
Thursday 14th June 2012, 10:35
Sounds to me like you need to baffle the tank, or put some wire gause in it.

JT
Thursday 14th June 2012, 15:43
The pcv on a P2 has a small pressure feed from the inlet manifold, a banjo bolt with a small coolant pipe round it with a small pipe teed into the o/s top connection on the original catch tank. maybe that's doing it (I don't know if you have an ME7 manifold but I think the 850 mani has it too) I suppose it depends on how much of the original pcv you have left.

pcv has gone! lol

Is the pipe that goes to atmosphere open or do you have a filter on the end ?
open at the moment.......

Sounds to me like you need to baffle the tank, or put some wire gause in it.

well I have found a baffled catch tank,I was thinking of trying one?

Jamest5r
Thursday 14th June 2012, 15:47
You sure u not got a blockage on the outlet side? If not just do away with the tank and vent to air and see if it breaths ok

JT
Thursday 14th June 2012, 16:13
outlet side? lol
it breaths ok when on idle,its just when I put it on the track

Jamest5r
Thursday 14th June 2012, 16:29
Just do away with the tank altogether

JT
Thursday 14th June 2012, 16:30
then i would be spilling out even more oil????

the tank was half full after only 5 laps! :(

Jamest5r
Thursday 14th June 2012, 16:35
When you say oil do you mean actual oil?? My tank fills with white gunk and water ish stuff lol

JT
Thursday 14th June 2012, 16:36
definatly oil

Jamest5r
Thursday 14th June 2012, 16:40
That ain't right then?? It's only supposed to be the vapours venting surely??

JT
Thursday 14th June 2012, 16:48
thats what i thought????

merc85
Thursday 14th June 2012, 17:30
Any smoke from exhaust? Bigrotch had a Cracked piston ring similar symptoms.

claymore
Thursday 14th June 2012, 17:30
Sounds like your rings are on the way out.

EDIT: Merc beat me to it

JT
Thursday 14th June 2012, 19:07
only had new ones put in back in January???? :(

merc85
Thursday 14th June 2012, 19:28

were the bores good? do compression check buddy to be sure.

Jamest5r
Thursday 14th June 2012, 21:07

Onto standard pistons or oversized??, as Merc say's comp test, also didnt you say marsall's pulled you and told you about blue smoke on over-run?, that suggests oil pushing past the rings unfortunatly mate.

oblark
Thursday 14th June 2012, 21:37
definatly oil

If you`ve got "oil" in your catch tank then the sump is being pressurized, this would also explain why you have oil leaking from the side of the engine.

When the engine is running do you have air coming out of the dipstick tub ?

I agree with everyone else and do a compression test.

Volvostorm
Thursday 14th June 2012, 21:59
Mine use to smoke on the over run too, rings were ok, it had 0..30 of bore wear, in the middle of the bores

JT
Friday 15th June 2012, 09:06
Onto standard pistons or oversized??, as Merc say's comp test, also didnt you say marsall's pulled you and told you about blue smoke on over-run?, that suggests oil pushing past the rings unfortunatly mate.

I'm pretty sure the smoke they were seeing was not from the exhaust,but from the PTC. When I fitted the new air hoses,the ptc was left detached from the air intake,but still had the valve on the end,so when I lifted all the oil residue from the PCV was just dumped out the back.

Having said that,it still means the oil was under some pressure..........

So today, I will try an organise a test and will report back with results.

cheers

JT

JT
Friday 15th June 2012, 19:30
Evening....

Mr t5stealth to the rescue!!!(again) lol

pressure tested it for me and we got these results,written on the bench,couldnt find any paper at the time! lol
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa454/johnnytempest/IMG_0379.jpg

but what i did notice today,after I raised the catch tank and put a drain back to the sump,I had the white/watery stuff in the catch tank? as per jamest5r's ......
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa454/johnnytempest/IMG_0377.jpg

so here I am thinking it was just bad positioning of the tank and the lack of drain back to the sump??
anymore thoughts?

thanks again to t5stealth!:B_thumb:

JT

Jamest5r
Friday 15th June 2012, 20:44
What I would do is put the box back under the mani and run the catch tank from that, by blocking the other holes you might be creating pressure??? It was there for a reason :)

Good bloke that Mr stealth helped me out in the past also :)

Volvostorm
Friday 15th June 2012, 22:18
Mine still has the box under the manifold, one pipe just runs to the tank and the other is still supplying vacuum

JT
Saturday 16th June 2012, 08:46
What I would do is put the box back under the mani and run the catch tank from that, by blocking the other holes you might be creating pressure??? It was there for a reason :)

Good bloke that Mr stealth helped me out in the past also :)

Now I have put a drain back to the sump I don't have any blocked entries/exits.
But yesterday, I did run the engine without connecting the catch tank and all seemed fine, but I guess we won't know for sure till I get it back on track??

edit:which is now a week thurs:)

The alternative, I found a baffled catch tank with 2 entries plus a drain. So could plumb in the cams and block separately, but I don't know if that would work??

JT
Saturday 21st July 2012, 15:22
ok, problem still exists:(

thinking back, I believe the engine was leaking oil from the PCV area of the engine when it was standard.
what would cause the crankcase pressure to rise on a standard engine, with the exception of a blocked PCV????

failing this, I think I am looking at a new engine:(