PDA

View Full Version : Ooops, P0443 DTC???

JamesT5
Wednesday 13th June 2012, 21:02
Hi

After cleaning the ETM today (story and pictures to follow in a seperate thread), I started the car back up and got the following DTC on the code reader, P0443.............

The word 'circuit' suggests it's electrical. I remember plugging in every cable securely (I think).

I wonder if it's anything to do withese these two plugs/wires?....

I hope it's something simple! Any help is appreciated.

Regards

James

local-looney
Wednesday 13th June 2012, 21:16
dont know if it would make a difference,but did u disconnect battery before removing/unplugging etm?
might just be a case of clearing the code?

i darent do anything to mine unless the batterys off!!! lol

shepbomb
Wednesday 13th June 2012, 21:28
P0443 - evap valve

M-R-P
Wednesday 13th June 2012, 21:40
P0443 - evap valve

Isn't that the ptc nipple thingy between the pcv and maf to compressor hose?

I could be (probably) wrong...

JamesT5
Wednesday 13th June 2012, 21:58
This error has only happened since I finished fiddling around under the bonnet. Have I damaged something serious?

Harvey
Wednesday 13th June 2012, 22:02
dont know if it would make a difference,but did u disconnect battery before removing/unplugging etm?
might just be a case of clearing the code?

i darent do anything to mine unless the batterys off!!! lol

Did you disconnect battery before you started work ?

merc85
Wednesday 13th June 2012, 22:05
I thought the evap valve went to the charcoal canister??

on a 850 it lives nsf just by the head light, vac line goes to the canister in the nsf wing.

Not sure on a v70 tho

M-R-P
Wednesday 13th June 2012, 22:07
I dunno if the P2 even has a charcoal canister. I've not come across one during my forridgings...

EDIT

found it...

looks like this...

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/just%20stuff/Volvo-9486016.jpg

JamesT5
Wednesday 13th June 2012, 22:08
Did you disconnect battery before you started work ?

Yes I disconnected the battery for safety reasons. I didn't fancy a shock off that red live wire near the ETM. ;)

The emissions warning light came on as well. I tried clearing the DTC, engine off, iginition off and then restarted only to get the error code back up again. :worried:

Regards

James

M-R-P
Wednesday 13th June 2012, 22:24
On top of your starter motor, check the connections for this...

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/just%20stuff/DSCF8042.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/just%20stuff/DSCF8043.jpg

JamesT5
Wednesday 13th June 2012, 22:33
On top of your starter motor, check the connections for this...

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/just%20stuff/DSCF8042.jpg

http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g413/martinrpeachey/just%20stuff/DSCF8043.jpg

Thanks, I'll check during daylight hours first thing in the morning. Where abouts is my starter motor located, is that down the bottom slightly right of centre by any chance?

Regards

James

M-R-P
Wednesday 13th June 2012, 22:47

This pic was taken from above the nearside front wing.
The shiny silver thing across the very top of the pic is the side of the inlet manifold (cylinder head on the right).
Half way down the pic, on the left hand side is the U-bend in the air pipe, where it connects to the etm.
Directly to the right is the evap valve that you want to check the connections for. (the metal cylinder below it is the starter).
so yes, the right hand side, it's possible you knocked it while removing the air pipe or the etm.

JamesT5
Wednesday 13th June 2012, 23:22
This sensor came out of the plastic hose and I had to reinsert it. The wiring loom that runs from it does connect with the evaporator thingy, what ever it is that we're on about.

I wonder if I have this connected up back to front or something? (sorry about the blurred image but you can see what it is).

Regards

James

M-R-P
Wednesday 13th June 2012, 23:29
Hmm, yes, that would be a good place to start. Unplug everything and plug it all back in again. Something's probably got disturbed somewhere.

JamesT5
Wednesday 13th June 2012, 23:58
Ok, done a final test for the night and that was a quick test drive down the road. The engine emissions light has gone out but the DTC is still there and now I'm getting a 'surging' at idle, yes, similar to that of an ETM issue but my bet is it's related to the DTC.

I did unplug and plug back in both of those sensors to that air pipe (the one that runs to the ETM) but it's made no difference and the evap purge thingy looks ok.

Jury's out on this one but the car is perfectly driveable so I'll work on the problem tomorrow.

Regards

James

JamesT5
Thursday 14th June 2012, 00:04
I could test the wires using the clamp meter tomorrow to see if there is any power going down them. At least then I can narrow it down a bit.

M-R-P
Thursday 14th June 2012, 00:06
It's gonna be (99% sure) a wire or plug, somewhere been dislodged or upset somehow.

Keep us posted mate :)

You'll get there.

Al115
Thursday 14th June 2012, 09:21
This sensor came out of the plastic hose and I had to reinsert it. The wiring loom that runs from it does connect with the evaporator thingy, what ever it is that we're on about.

I wonder if I have this connected up back to front or something? (sorry about the blurred image but you can see what it is).

Regards

James

That looks like an IAT (intake air temp) sensor to me?

Good luck with it.

JamesT5
Thursday 14th June 2012, 11:44
I'm going to try and get some video footage done today of the misfiring and related stuff and put it up on Youtube or something. Then people can see the problem actually happening. I'll get some shots of the engine bay too.

I'll be using my HD camcorder so hopefully I can find a format suitable for uploading to the net.

Regards

James

jardon
Thursday 14th June 2012, 15:28
Hi James, the sensor that you posted a picture of is an intake air temperature sensor. The clip that holds mine into the intake pipe broke off years ago so I cable tie it in. That won't have any bearing on the evap code. The evap valve is the thing Martin showed you a picture of - it takes vacuum from the inlet manifold via a pipe that you can see coming out of the manifold and down between the runners. If that is off or split you will get unmetered air and it will affect driveability (surging etc).

The evap valve opens under ECU control to suck fuel vapour out of the charcoal canistor underneath your rear passenger wheel arch. Leaks in evap systems can be due to split/popped-off pipes or the valve becoming electrically disconnected - that's where I'd be looking. It would be easy to stress that pipe work and cabling when pushing the intercooler-ETM pipe around.

I thought I had an evap leak recently when chasing down my idle issues so I have some webpages bookmarked. For background reading:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/evap_system.htm

If it's a circuit fault code then could be the electrical connector has popped off or the wiring has been damage during the ETM job. Is there a fuse for such things that may have blown?

JamesT5
Thursday 14th June 2012, 16:01
Hi James, the sensor that you posted a picture of is an intake air temperature sensor. The clip that holds mine into the intake pipe broke off years ago so I cable tie it in. That won't have any bearing on the evap code. The evap valve is the thing Martin showed you a picture of - it takes vacuum from the inlet manifold via a pipe that you can see coming out of the manifold and down between the runners. If that is off or split you will get unmetered air and it will affect driveability (surging etc).

The evap valve opens under ECU control to suck fuel vapour out of the charcoal canistor underneath your rear passenger wheel arch. Leaks in evap systems can be due to split/popped-off pipes or the valve becoming electrically disconnected - that's where I'd be looking. It would be easy to stress that pipe work and cabling when pushing the intercooler-ETM pipe around.

I thought I had an evap leak recently when chasing down my idle issues so I have some webpages bookmarked. For background reading:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/evap_system.htm

If it's a circuit fault code then could be the electrical connector has popped off or the wiring has been damage during the ETM job. Is there a fuse for such things that may have blown?

I disconnected the battery before starting any work. I've alo checked the wiring around the plug and I can't see any sign of damage to it at all. I'll have another poke around under the bonnet (when the rain stops) and see if I can spot anything, double checking the evap system wires/plugs.

By the way, I've just been out and filmed the engine issue as well as the misfiring and wheel scrape on full right lock. I'm going to try and edit the footage together and put a video up on my Youtube page. I'll post the link when it's finsihed.

Regards

James

jardon
Thursday 14th June 2012, 16:06
No worries. I did forget to say that the valve could genuinely be faulty of course!

JamesT5
Thursday 14th June 2012, 18:32
Hi guys

Well I feel like a complete dipstick, I really do. :stupid:

I have to say you were all right, every single one of you so thank you. I went to check for loose wires and stuff unplugged and I found something I hadn't plugged in. I was looking in the wrong place, I was looking down by the evap plugs above the starter motor originally......

However, I just got back from town and decided to pop the bonnet, in the rain (yes it's been annoying me that much!), and took a look around. As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, there is something on the passenger side by the radiator, so I looked there and found a wire not plugged in to the circuit 'box' that is screwed on to the radiator fan housing.

I guess after 7 - 8 hours of working solid, I must have totally forgotten about the plug altogether!

So I connected it back up, cleared the DTC's from the ECU and read the codes again, and although the engine is still running like a pile of dog excrement, the error code didn't come back. Just to make sure it wasn't a complete fluke, I then unplugged the wire again started the engine and read the codes. As anticipated, the error came back so that confirmed I'd found and fixed the P0443 DTC error. What a pleb! :doh:

Obviously now I have made sure it's connected again and wiped the DTC from the system. I have now however still got quite a rough misfire although I'm betting this is down to my dodgy coil pack wiring. (Oh, gosh, another few hours under the bonnet with a soldering iron!) :wallbash:

Anyway, once again, thanks to everyone for their input and their assistance. I'm on a steep learning curve at the moment! :)

Regards

James

jardon
Thursday 14th June 2012, 22:26
Glad you found it. Can you log misfires on yours? I have been trying to but DiCE/Vida doesn't see them on my car. I think early ME7s are more basic in their OBD2 parameters.

JamesT5
Thursday 14th June 2012, 22:30
Glad you found it. Can you log misfires on yours? I have been trying to but DiCE/Vida doesn't see them on my car. I think early ME7s are more basic in their OBD2 parameters.

Log them? Well I just hook up the OBD2 reader when I get an issue, sort it out and clear the codes.

Regards

James

M-R-P
Thursday 14th June 2012, 22:36
P2 cars dont only log the missfire but will give you a snapshot of every recordable data input from the car at the time the fault was registered.
Looks like theyre good for something ;)

JamesT5
Thursday 14th June 2012, 22:44
P2 cars dont only log the missfire but will give you a snapshot of every recordable data input from the car at the time the fault was registered.
Looks like theyre good for something ;)

Ah good. And we have to pay the swedish family to obtain the data I suppose. My OBD2 reader only reads what is stored in the system that hasn't been cleared.

MoleT-5R
Thursday 14th June 2012, 23:16
Disconnected the battery when I did mine and when I took it out it was fine. Following day the mrs say that it was not runnig as normal and a bit heavy on the juice (don't know how she can tell the difference as it's always heavy on juice.....lol) so I took it out and noticed the management light was on. Stopped and plug the reader in. It showed P0443 so I cancelled it and no further problems, touch wood....lol

JamesT5
Thursday 14th June 2012, 23:22
Disconnected the battery when I did mine and when I took it out it was fine. Following day the mrs say that it was not runnig as normal and a bit heavy on the juice (don't know how she can tell the difference as it's always heavy on juice.....lol) so I took it out and noticed the management light was on. Stopped and plug the reader in. It showed P0443 so I cancelled it and no further problems, touch wood....lol

Mine was drinking the juice a bit today but my constant need to rev the guts off it to get it to go didn't help the matter.

M-R-P
Thursday 14th June 2012, 23:28
Ah good. And we have to pay the swedish family to obtain the data I suppose. My OBD2 reader only reads what is stored in the system that hasn't been cleared.

look for a feature called freezeframe on the reader. every reader ive used on an obd2 system has been able to read freezeframe data.
where's this video then?

JamesT5
Thursday 14th June 2012, 23:47
Oh yeah, I've seen that Freeze Frame feature. Thing is, what do I do with that then after I've pressed it?

M-R-P
Thursday 14th June 2012, 23:54
when you have a logged fault on the car, the ecu takes a snapshot of all the readings it recieves at that instant. when you view a fault code with the reader, press freezeframe and it'll show you what was going on when the fault occurred. can be handy for detecting patterns in faults.