PDA

View Full Version : t5 won't start.........any ideas please

t5steve
Monday 11th June 2012, 19:42
went out to car this morning , turned key , engine turns but won't start
was running fine when i parked it yesterday..............it is low on fuel so i put a gallon in just to check.........still won't start............it has been raining heavily all night here ......do any sensors etc suffer with damp?................had codes read.............nothing stored..................wtf is wrong with it now..........as usual any help or ideas gratefully accepted

I want a T5
Monday 11th June 2012, 19:43
Low on petrol, parked on a slope?

I did this a while back......not as daft as it seems!

t5steve
Monday 11th June 2012, 19:51
Low on petrol, parked on a slope?

I did this a while back......not as daft as it seems!

no driveway is level......and i put a gallon of fuel in just to make sure........checked valve on fuel rail and there is fuel pressure there

Kingsford G
Monday 11th June 2012, 19:53
Got the spark too?

local-looney
Monday 11th June 2012, 19:54
if it were me,id probably whip a plug out old schooly style to check for sparks??

local-looney
Monday 11th June 2012, 19:54
Got the spark too?

beat me! lol

t5steve
Monday 11th June 2012, 19:57
was going to try that but it's been p#####g down all day............i am not getting wet for this unreliable volvo..........apart from that i've left my toolbox in the workshop which is 20 miles away..............will borrow some tools in morning...........doesn't sound like it has a spark as it doesn't even try to start

merc85
Monday 11th June 2012, 20:00
Cam sensor, Crank/flywheel sensor. As kingsford has asked is there a spark? coil/igntiion module.

Cam sensor would be my first port of call, if the fuel pump primes still.

If not maybe the fuel pump relay.

I have a spare Ignition coil, and module as you know. also i have a spare Fuel pump relay also. let us know mate.

It could also be imoblizser pick up around the steering column.

Give Shrek/Dan a call if you have his number he had exactly the same issue.

t5steve
Monday 11th June 2012, 20:05
Got the spark too?

if it were me,id probably whip a plug out old schooly style to check for sparks??

Cam sensor, Crank/flywheel sensor. As kingsford has asked is there a spark? coil/igntiion module.

Cam sensor would be my first port of call, if the fuel pump primes still.

If not maybe the fuel pump relay.

I have a spare Ignition coil, and module as you know. also i have a spare Fuel pump relay also. let us know mate.

It could also be imoblizser pick up around the steering column.

Give Shrek/Dan a call if you have his number he had exactly the same issue.

spoke to shreck earlier .....his problem was cam sensor.......i've got a spare ..
will try tomorrow............just covering all the bases if possible

Kingsford G
Monday 11th June 2012, 20:14
First and easy get the main wire going tu distributor cap out and check for ignition if good than from ditributor and make sure u got fuel pumping.If reads no codes shouldn`t be a crank or cam sensor unless old school codes come up diff if so and no spark from main wire to distributor than immob or one of the sensors as Gav said.

Volvostorm
Monday 11th June 2012, 20:19
I know you said you had fuel pressure, can you hear the pump whirring?

When mine stopped starting for no reason, it was the fuel pump had packed up.

t5steve
Monday 11th June 2012, 20:24
I know you said you had fuel pressure, can you hear the pump whirring?

When mine stopped starting for no reason, it was the fuel pump had packed up.

yes can hear pump when ignition is turned on.............released fuel rail pressure then turned on ignition...........pressure was back in rail again

deathrider311271
Monday 11th June 2012, 21:13
Also check the immobiliser ring, try wiggling the key while starting the car, if i remember correctly the immobiliser cuts the spark not the fuel

Simon

Taff - t5
Monday 11th June 2012, 21:59
Spray some electrical contact cleaner on the key turn the ignition on and off,take the key out ,then try and start it again.The contact cleaner will get rid of any crap in the ignition barrel and immobilser ring.

merc85
Monday 11th June 2012, 23:43
cam for sure

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 12th June 2012, 05:22
Could just be dizzy cap and rotor.

My V70 was stranded a few months ago at work with no warning.

MoleT-5R
Tuesday 12th June 2012, 07:06
another quick and easy check is the main relay, located on top of the radiator next to the fan relays, its got 4 wires going to it, if like on mine there corroded through it will not start ( no spark, but engine turns and fuel pump works etc) get some to wiggle the cables as you crank it over. took me months to find 2 broken wires as I changed everything else before finding the main relay. good luck

Kingsford G
Tuesday 12th June 2012, 21:09
Any luck Steve?

t5steve
Tuesday 12th June 2012, 22:08
quick update..................spent all day searching workshop for spare parts (really must have a clear out ).............got my son to come round with his code reader from work as well.............he turns up at 5 o'clock after work............plugs in code reader...........ignition on.........codes read ......nothing............."turn it over" he says "it'll start now" ....................geuss what......................don't you just hate a smartass..........dam thing starts and runs good as gold....................been out to it every now and again still working......................beginning to dislike this volvo.................how much is a T5 worth.....................