PDA

View Full Version : Breaking of good cars

New Dexter
Sunday 10th June 2012, 19:07
There was a post here a few days ago or perhaps it was a comment from another member. He could not understand why some people were breaking what appeared to be perfectly good cars.
Searching on ebay earlier today I found a V70RAWD being broken for spares. Chap in Morecambe apparently. S reg. I looked at the photos and read the script and there doesn't appear to be much wrong. I haven't asked for the reason the car is being dismantled but everything appears to be available. I will do that later.
Isn't there going to be a time when these cars start to become more valuable as complete items than as a source of parts?

daza-b
Sunday 10th June 2012, 19:09
the car was broken as it had problems.... i am that "chap in morecambe"

foammanmark
Sunday 10th June 2012, 19:16
Hello chap in Morecambe.

That's car's spoiler is now on my silver T5. The car had been stood for months and looked much better on the photos than it really was. I'm desperate for the right R, and if the black one had have been good enough, I would have been buying it off my mate Daza-B.

foammanmark
Sunday 10th June 2012, 19:36
I've been thinking about this further whilst I had my scoff. I have the wheels off the black car in my boot which are going down to a Moderator in Norfolk, the car's front bumper is going on my T5, and parts have gone to many other members to help them improve their cars.

WTF is wrong with that? This car needed literally £100's if not over a £1000 to be spent on it, to get it anywhere near good enough for me, without any major mods. Now I've mentioned breaking my T5, and the time and money that has been spent on that is considerable. Unless you get a person like myself who can appreciate what's gone into a car, then most people expect to pay rock bottom prices, which necessitates the need to consider breaking the car. Sad but true.

foammanmark
Sunday 10th June 2012, 19:49
The B pillar alarm sensors off the black car have fixed my alarm problem on my T5, thanks Daza........

andyb1375
Sunday 10th June 2012, 20:42
There was a post here a few days ago or perhaps it was a comment from another member. He could not understand why some people were breaking what appeared to be perfectly good cars.
Searching on ebay earlier today I found a V70RAWD being broken for spares. Chap in Morecambe apparently. S reg. I looked at the photos and read the script and there doesn't appear to be much wrong. I haven't asked for the reason the car is being dismantled but everything appears to be available. I will do that later.
Isn't there going to be a time when these cars start to become more valuable as complete items than as a source of parts?

its the breaking of good cars that allow us on the forum to run ours. Speaking for myself if it wasn't for secondhand parts My mods wound not get done..

Jimmie
Sunday 10th June 2012, 20:53
Well i'v just spent just short of what people would say was madness to keep a volv in full mechanical condition.What is a few thousand pounds to keep a motor going?
I couldn't be bothered or understand people always buying and selling perfectly good motors just because they needed something doing to them.You often just buy another that needs work doing to it in a very short period.

foammanmark
Sunday 10th June 2012, 21:16
Well i'v just spent just short of what people would say was madness to keep a volv in full mechanical condition.What is a few thousand pounds to keep a motor going?
I couldn't be bothered or understand people always buying and selling perfectly good motors just because they needed something doing to them.You often just buy another that needs work doing to it in a very short period.

That is exactly what I've just done with a V70 T5 that was for sale on here, and was on the verge being broken, because there were no buyers. I've spent between £2-3,000 on a £750 car. Then I bought my C70 T5 that was up for sale for months, and people were asking for bits off it, but the owner stood firm and wouldn't hastily break it. Again, I stepped in and rescued it.

I would have done exactly the same with the black V70R in question here, as I've been looking for one for months. This one however, even made me cringe, and there were so many parts needed that unless we could have got parts from other R's that were being broken, we would never have managed to bring the car back to it's forrmer glory.

I am so against breaking them and that's why I've got three cars, but I fully back Daza-B's decision to break this one. I don't want to feel guilty because I'll have several parts on my T5 that came off that car, which have made my car a better car. Hopefully , you can see where we're coming from on this.

foammanmark
Sunday 10th June 2012, 21:19
its the breaking of good cars that allow us on the forum to run ours. Speaking for myself if it wasn't for secondhand parts My mods wound not get done..

This car was far from good, or else it would have been my new car. As mentioned, it has helped to make my T5 a better car though.

stephenevans99
Sunday 10th June 2012, 21:45
Anyone got any brake fluid from a reservoir they're breaking? :sorry:

Seriously though, breaking roadworthy cars is a shame but a necessary evil, enables the owner of the donor to recoup some of the £000's spent and to keep the recipients car on the road and potentially out of the scrappy.

foammanmark
Sunday 10th June 2012, 21:53
Anyone got any brake fluid from a reservoir they're breaking? :sorry:

Seriously though, breaking roadworthy cars is a shame but a necessary evil, enables the owner of the donor to recoup some of the £000's spent and to keep the recipients car on the road and potentially out of the scrappy.

This car definitely wasn't roadworthy, trust me on that...

Daza-B and myself discussed at length what we could do with the car, as he had a buyer in me, if we could have brought it back to a decent standard without spending an absolute fortune.

The nautic blue V70R up near Carlisle needs TLC, but at £2795, I said no to it and I travelled over 100 miles each way to view it.

V70 Graham
Sunday 10th June 2012, 23:17
If the car was not roadworthy, nor was ever going to be, that 'chap in Morcambe' ;) did the right thing and helped lots of other cars in the process.

pompeyphil
Sunday 10th June 2012, 23:22
Dh broke his 854 t5 with 70 odd miles on it. So he had a good set of spares as he has a few of them, but was too good to break really

daza-b
Monday 11th June 2012, 01:10
i really dont understand why this discussion is being held again, this is the way that it should be looked at, who ever it is that is bothered about it:

1. ITS MY PROPERTY, I PAID FOR IT, I DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT
2. THE PARTS HAVE GONE TO GOOD USE TO HELP KEEP OTHERS ON THE ROAD
3. IF I WANTED A LECTURE ABOUT IT, ID ASK!
4. DO I TELL YOU WHAT TO DO WITH YOUR CAR?! NO!

I hope this is some clarification towards this thread and if someone mentions about me doing things with my own property i will take it up with the admins!

If i want to discuss what I do with MY property i will post a thread about it and ask for help and advice, this is a forum, not a bloody crèche!! I dont need DADDY telling me what to do with my life as i left home to get away from that!

Im sorry if you dont like what im sayin, but i say it how it is, it is 1am and im very tired and cranky and some of this may not make sense!

Sorry and thanks for reading

RANT OVER!

JUDGENINJA
Monday 11th June 2012, 01:19
...the more you pull apart will see the prices increase..

Santa
Monday 11th June 2012, 06:52
Think some people have taken this all a bit personally for what is quite a simple question from the OP.

New Dexter merely asked:

"Isn't there going to be a time when these cars start to become more valuable as complete items than as a source of parts?"

IMHO New Dexter some of the more limited edition ones in good condition probably are already though it may take a long while for others to follow suit.

stephenevans99
Monday 11th June 2012, 07:55
BTW....Welcome to the forum New Dexter....it's a great, friendly place - honest ;)

Feel free to ask anything (except breaking cars) :nono:

JUDGENINJA
Monday 11th June 2012, 08:05
Dazs... I like your rant, But its other peoples right to differ on opinion, that's the reason this is a discussion forum. Maybe some really do cry when they see one die..(I'm not admitting to anything..where's my tissues.. ;) ).

Maybe we should consider you like a vet, put the infected ones down to save the others.. Animal(Volvo) lovers will still shed a tear at the time watching an old girl being put out of its misery, but we all know its for a great good.

Jimmie
Monday 11th June 2012, 11:19
Who was complaining ?