PDA

View Full Version : Misfire Problem Found!! (Pictures and Story here)

JamesT5
Saturday 9th June 2012, 20:32
Hi everyone

Well I've been playing around under the bonnet of the T5 today and I've changed all of my spark plugs for brand new genuine Volvo ones. My old spark plugs were looking pretty old and pretty 'rusty' (see pictures)...

Now, with my lovely new spark plugs in I crank the engine over and a lovely smooth sound came from the engine bay, meaning my new spark plugs were correctly installed and were pre-gapped correctly. So, on went the cover and then to my horror the car started to mis-fire again.

I then hooked up the DTC reader and got P1356 'Ignition Coil 4 Primary' warning. This is the same message I was getting prior to changing the plugs so I knew it wasn't down to my amateur mechanical skills installing the spark plugs. What it did give me was a big clue and that the problem is probably related to the wiring loom going to ignition coil 4. Why? Because no matter what coil I put on the end of the loom, the same P1356 error code kept cropping up.

I did know that there was some exposed wire on the loom to coil 4 slot so I 'vibrated' my way to Homebase and picked up some fire retardant insulation tape (heat resistant by nature), and then got home and took the cover off to inspect the wiring loom. What did I see? Some damaged wires on the loom to coil pack 4 plug, much worse than I thought.....

With this I reinsulated the wires with the £1.99 tape and plugged the loom back in to the ignition coil, bolted it down with the 10mm nut and then started the engine again, only to find the problem was still there.

Ok, what next? I thought. I swapped the coil pack on cylinder 3 with the one on cylinder 4 to absolutely rule out the coil packs, seeing as though I'd just reinsulated the damaged section of wires. After swapping the packs around, I started the engine and the misfire had gone. Whoopee I thought, until I attempted to put the cover back on the engine....

So I took a reading on the DTC reader and this is what I got.....

This is a new code I thought but was definatley telling me it was wiring related, as I suspected. So I got the plastic cover (non conductive material), and gently prodded the loom to coil 4 with the engine running. I found that the misfire would start up as I moved the loom but would stop misfiring when I let go..... Interesting!

I realised everytime I put the cover back on, it moved the wires going to coil 4, pushing them downwards in the same fashion as when I prodded them, making the car misfire on cylinder 4. That means either there is a loose connection where the wiring has been damaged, and/or there is a loose connection to the plug that connects to the coil pack.

So, now I know the problem I have left the main plastic cover off the engine to avoid pushing the wires down and causing the misfire, until I can get the wiring loom repaired.

The intermittent misfire, I guess, is intermittent because if the vibration moves the wires slightly then the car misfires or stops misfiring depending on the way the wires are positioned.

I'm thinking, should I get a crimping kit and cut/crimp the wires myself or go to an auto electrician to get the job done professionally? I'm just thinking, will the heat in that area of the engine cause the crimps to expand and come apart or will they be ok? I have a wire crimping kit I used to install some L.E.D lights on a previous car I had. I wonder if they would do the job?

Anyway, I'm interested to get feedback on this one in particular.

As for my battery issue, I called the RAC out today and he is 95% it's down to a bad battery, so I've ordered a new one from ATS Euromaster that will arrive on Monday. One thing that the RAC man did pick up on was that there is a 0.1 Amp drain on the battery which is higher than it should be, and he said this is enough to flatten a good battery in about 5 days, but certainly not 5 minutes. He quoted me £106.99 for a new battery which he had on the van, but I politely declined his offer and managed to bag one from ATS for £77.99 including the chancellors holiday money. :wave23d:

Regards

James

Harvey
Saturday 9th June 2012, 21:06
Hi glad you fixed the problem,did say to look at loom in old post.
The damage to the wires happens when the cover is fitted they get traped then crushed down to earth best get some more conduit ASAP .

The battery you ordered did you get the bigger one 850EN or the smaller one if you look at where the clamp is there are two threaded holes one for standard or the bigger one.

Tuesday 29th May 2012, 18:00
Just thinking about this didn't Volvo have a problem with the loom to the coil packs it would short to earth as the conduit that the wires run in would go very brittle with the heat just a thought.

graemewelch
Saturday 9th June 2012, 21:09
glad youve got the bottom of it. id say you need to get a multimeter on it. im crap with electrics so i cant give and better advise than that

JamesT5
Saturday 9th June 2012, 21:30
Hi glad you fixed the problem,did say to look at loom in old post.
The damage to the wires happens when the cover is fitted they get traped then crushed down to earth best get some more conduit ASAP .

The battery you ordered did you get the bigger one 850EN or the smaller one if you look at where the clamp is there are two threaded holes one for standard or the bigger one.

Tuesday 29th May 2012, 18:00
Just thinking about this didn't Volvo have a problem with the loom to the coil packs it would short to earth as the conduit that the wires run in would go very brittle with the heat just a thought.

Where's the best place to get some conduit and also do you think crimping the cables back together is a good idea or not?

As for the battery, I did think about getting the larger one but it was nearly £20 more and so I've gone for the same one that is currently on the car, which, incidentally is a genuine Volvo battery! :)

Regards

James

Harvey
Saturday 9th June 2012, 21:40
I think your best bet is for the loom guard car stereo type shop ,as you only need a metre or so just get the stuf that is split .
To repair the wires I would solider them and use some heatsrink tube .

JamesT5
Saturday 9th June 2012, 22:27
I think your best bet is for the loom guard car stereo type shop ,as you only need a metre or so just get the stuf that is split .
To repair the wires I would solider them and use some heatsrink tube .

Although I don't have a solider iron I think my Dad has one so I'll see if I can borrow his. I imagine the DIY store has some heat shrink tube.

Regards

James

graemewelch
Saturday 9th June 2012, 22:32
if was me id be getting the wires tested to see wear the break is. can be done with a multi meter. it will tell you if theres a break in the wire. always solder never crimp wires

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 9th June 2012, 22:49
The pink wire looks almost broken through! I'd definitely solder them and insulate with heat shrink or electrical tape.

Harvey
Saturday 9th June 2012, 23:00
Although I don't have a solider iron I think my Dad has one so I'll see if I can borrow his. I imagine the DIY store has some heat shrink tube.

Regards

James

Do you have a maplin store near you they will sell it.

JamesT5
Saturday 9th June 2012, 23:04
Do you have a maplin store near you they will sell it.

Nearest Maplin is about 40 miles away so I might try my local DIY store first. Failing that I'll take a trip to Maplin. :)

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 9th June 2012, 23:12
Have you got a Screwfix near you mate?

Cheap soldering iron from them....
http://www.screwfix.com/p/soldering-iron-230v-40w/40326?_requestid=991540

LeeT5
Saturday 9th June 2012, 23:15
Well done mate. As Harvey said, the exposed pink wire was shorting to earth evertime you put the cover back on.
SOlder the wire and use heat shrink wrap to effect a permanent repair.

JamesT5
Saturday 9th June 2012, 23:50
Thanks guys, I've asked Dad if I can borrow his solider iron and he may even have some heat shrink tube (he's got all sorts of stuff!). If I get any misfiring after the fix, I'll buy some second hand coil packs but I'm hoping I've found the problem (at least for now)....

It's whether I've created this coil 4 issue myself by fiddling around the first time swapping packs around and accidentally damaging wiring. In other words the coil pack issue may still crop up again but has been 'masked' by this wiring issue. But you know, there's only one way to find out and that's to fix the wiring problem and drive around for a few weeks to see if anything starts playing up again.

Anyway, I'll post an update on this when I've 'fixed' the problem. :wave23d:

Regards

James