PDA

View Full Version : Brake disc backing plates

lozccw
Saturday 9th June 2012, 18:25
Silly question, Are brake disc backing plates really necessary?
And does anyone know what purpose they actually serve?

The ones on my new T4 are rusted so badly that they are almost non existent anyway, and volvo want £35 each!!
Don't really want to spent £150 if they won't make any real difference?

Thanks.

(For reference I'm talking about the ones like part number 14 in the image below)

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z433/x40vol/2012-06-09--1339263127_1280x800_scrot.png

LeeT5
Saturday 9th June 2012, 18:44
They are essentially a heat shield. They also protect the disc to a certain degree from flying debri off the road and play a major part in stopping foriegn matter getting into your brake caliper. They also shield your wheel hub, brake fluid lines and bearing from excessive heat from the discs. Your brake discs heat up very quickly and maintain a certain degree of heat whilst driving, especially around town.
Without the heat shields (back plate) then expect to see premature failure of components like...Disc and pads, caliper seals, wheel bearing, brake fluid.

Bottom line...you need them mate! And for £35 each, i'd call that a bargain.

lozccw
Saturday 9th June 2012, 19:02
I did suspect that would be the case, just wanted to check with people who have more knowldge than myself before shelling out the cash!

siamblue
Saturday 9th June 2012, 19:33
Alex will.have some for sure,plus we need to meet up for that bumper trim sometime

Gary